Author Topic: Throwing in the towel  (Read 97965 times)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Re: Throwing in the towel
« Reply #165 on: March 15, 2019, 10:13:15 AM »
I have not done anything about it yet. Stupid I know just didn't need yet another thing to be seeing a doc about. Far too much time in waiting rooms as it is. But I know I need to do something. I have an appt coming up with my GP.

It's a Gretsch
https://www.gretschguitars.com/gear/build/folk-and-bluegrass/g9121-ace-tenor-ukulele-with-gig-bag-acoustic-cutaway-electric/2732042321

Yeah I have a bunch of Uke lessons that I've subscribed to but just haven't done it yet. In addition to clumsy fingers I have fat finger tips.....then again I imagine Iz did too.....:)

My wife and I are finally in sync on diet...and I'm doing all the cooking these days. We've been slowly losing weight since. I need to get moving more again though....it's been a sedate winter. I've added a lot more anti-inflammatory ingredients into our meals. I really need to up my cardio. I think it needs to be my primary focus. I was also diagnosed with COPD....fucking rains it pours...  :o

I did get the genes for some artistic talent...I've always been able to draw. As for life force...not much choice but to punch back. And if anything I need to start punching harder......:)

Oh...the finished whale's eye.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 10:17:38 AM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #166 on: March 15, 2019, 10:54:01 AM »
Very nice!

I lack talent with woodworking and carving, though I tried for a while. I am okay at reasonably intricate scroll saw patterns and have done some nice pieces where you cut patterns, sand a little profile, die the pieces different shades and put them back together on a backing board. But it's not really art, it's just learning to follow a line well on a scroll saw. I bored, turned and carved flutes and whistles for a while. I have one  whistle that I hung onto because it turned out perfect. I had countless others that ended up as kindling or I gave to kids to torment their parents. I have some nice carvings that were done with instruction. I even took one of the classes from Roy Underhill (Woodwright's Shop on PBS). But on my own without careful guidance my carving is pretty bad.

I also tried to play a few instruments - guitar, uke, mandolin, flute/whistle, bass and keyboards. I still have a couple of keyboards; I enjoy playing just for myself sometimes or provide a little rhythm with others on some songs or just pull out my little keyboard and just play a bass line. Not much talent.

I admire your work.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 10:55:32 AM by RideTheGlide »
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2018 Hydro-Force fastblast 12'6"
2019 BKC 12'

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: March 15, 2019, 11:36:55 AM »
Stoney, get an e-bike, it doesn't have to be anything expensive or fancy.  $1600 can get you what you'd love, the best $1600 I've ever spent, most brands are good (*cough-cough* Rad Rover *cough-cough*), great cardio exercise if you show discipline with the power output.  You'll become addicted, healthier, and stronger.
It takes a quiver to do that.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #168 on: March 15, 2019, 12:16:09 PM »
The carving is a somewhat new found talent. I've dabbled before but the power carver I got for Christmas is awesome...makes carving feel like drawing.

I'm building an e-fatbike now. I've had the pieces for a bit but just starting to put it together. Same build with a Mongoose that Pono did...he sent me a spare motor kit about a year ago, just some slight procrastination......:). Fingers crossed I don't kill myself.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 12:18:32 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: March 15, 2019, 04:06:40 PM »
Could you expand on your new power carver?  I have a big set of hand tools but my hand grip and elbow seem to be sending signals they have about had it.

About to tumble into a bunch of free time and I’ve got a few pieces of Koa Needing attention.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #170 on: March 15, 2019, 06:54:28 PM »
This is it. I also got some Flex Steel power carver blades and a strop for them. Really enjoying how nice it works. Makes carving a less quiet activity but doesn't remove the enjoyment of the work and definitely far faster.
https://www.amazon.com/Dc-501F-Ryobi-Electric-Replacement-4989692/dp/B06XXDP22V/ref=sr_1_2?hvadid=241640161359&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9002048&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t1&hvqmt=e&hvrand=4532485569207306948&hvtargid=kwd-325333070075&keywords=ryobi+power+carver&qid=1552701052&s=gateway&sr=8-2&tag=googhydr-20
Bob

Rider

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: March 15, 2019, 07:20:56 PM »
Stoney, Really, if you have any interest in riding an e bike, just listen to Gregg. No mus no fuss. Of course if you just want to bull shit around, listen to you’re brother.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #172 on: March 15, 2019, 09:56:33 PM »
I don't enjoy messing with the bits and pieces as much as my brother does but this looks pretty easy and he sent me a motor...all in for the rest is under $500. I'm not going to be trail riding or anything...strictly the road to and from the beach and then on the beach itself. I won't be going far unfortunately. I used to love to ride but I need to be very careful these days. I may try some slow rides on some wider trails locally. It kind of sucks because we have some great challenging riding trails nearby but I just can't risk those.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 09:58:43 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #173 on: March 16, 2019, 04:52:30 AM »
Could you expand on your new power carver?  I have a big set of hand tools but my hand grip and elbow seem to be sending signals they have about had it.

About to tumble into a bunch of free time and I’ve got a few pieces of Koa Needing attention.

Not who you were responding to, but...

I have tried a couple of types. I have the hanging motor with a flex shaft to the hand piece so that the hand piece is lighter, less bulky and easier to control than a Dremel. I think a speed control is a must, usually a foot control. I have a manual dial for speed and a foot control that is off/on because I don't like keeping my leg/foot still while on a pedal that moves freely.

I had a reciprocating hand piece for a while; actually maybe I still do. The reciprocating carver requires a firm grip and pretty rigid arm control. It's like a mini jack hammer and isn't as effective or accurate if you let it bounce back much, especially on hard wood. It was substantially easier than carving by hand for very hard wood. You have to be carefully about angle to remove chips and not drive the blade in too deep. If you do a carving of the type where you want to leave a faceted surface, it's a good choice; with the blade kept sharp the facets feel polished.

With the right attachments and good dust control (one big advantage of the reciprocating carver is lack of dust), rotary carving can do everything from roughing to very fine work on thin pieces. Aggressive burrs require some arm and hand strength to control as they try to "run". Stones, sand paper and very fine burrs are easier to control; just have to be careful not to over heat.

In either case, I strongly prefer the hanging motor to the hand held motor. Dremels are nice for general use for various projects where you need to take the tool to the work. If you can bring the work to the tool, a hanging motor is a better choice.

Look at Wecheer carvers.
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2019 BKC 12'

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: March 16, 2019, 05:55:11 AM »
This is it. I also got some Flex Steel power carver blades and a strop for them. Really enjoying how nice it works. Makes carving a less quiet activity but doesn't remove the enjoyment of the work and definitely far faster.

Thanks for the link. It’s terrible how handy amazon is.
And good luck with the bike.  You’ve got a strong spirit.

I had a reciprocating hand piece for a while; actually maybe I still do. The reciprocating carver requires a firm grip and pretty rigid arm control.

What a good bit of information.  This hanging tool idea is just what I need. Thanks.

Too much grip and arm work with heavy hand and power tools at my old house over the years has messed me up. Don’t want to go the route of any medical operations so I just limit it and don’t do that stuff everyday. Respect to the construction workers, my body couldn’t have handled it.

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #175 on: March 16, 2019, 06:36:04 AM »
Just to clarify, the reciprocating hand piece is a little different that the Ryobi carver that Stoneaxe linked. This is the one I had:

https://www.amazon.com/WeCheer-Wecheer-Carving-Handpiece/dp/B019R21TJ2

It works with the hanging motor and flex shaft. Advantage is light weight and I think you can be more precise by holding it differently. The disadvantage is that there is a "sweet spot" for flex shafts maybe 12" - 30" away from and below the motor where you can maneuver the hand piece around in all directions without the flex shaft limiting your motion, so you have to move your work piece around a lot if there is any size to it. You don't want to push the boundaries of that area or you will be replacing the flex shaft from trying to make it "turn a corner" at the top of the hand piece. You need to lube the flex shaft from time to time.

EDIT - One of the better hand carvers I have seen was a decoy carver down at the coast. These are high end realistic decoys that never actually get used as hunting decoys. He used nothing but a short shaft fish tail gouge, using it more like a knife with wrist flicks as his carving motion. But he used high grade tupelo pretty exclusively, which is relatively easy to carve.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 06:48:14 AM by RideTheGlide »
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2019 BKC 12'

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #176 on: March 16, 2019, 07:26:31 AM »
I use a little bit of everything. From 100 year old hand chisels and mallet to the power carver, I've got a Dremel and all the assorted bits. For big stuff and removing lots of wood I have angle grinders setup with a carving disc and a chainsaw blade...and of course a chainsaw. All depends on what I'm doing. I started the big manta using the chainsaw disc on the inside of the log to remove excess and get the rough shape, then switched to the power carver for most of it, fine tuned with palm chisels, and sanded with the flex shaft and a 80 grit flap wheel....then hand sanded. Sometimes I even burn instead of carving. I also have a real nice pyrography setup. A mix of rasps is always good to have too. I have them from a big nasty course tooth beast that rips wood to shreads to a tiny curved luthiers file that polishes more than it cuts.

I'm building a dedicated carving/sanding/sharpening/pyrography station at one end of my bench. I bought a couple of inexpensive harbor freight 3" bench grinders with the flex shafts. I'm mounting them on a box that I can bring up onto the bench and lock down with a cleat.  The box will have the power carver and bits, and all the Dremel stuff. Reverse mounted and fitted with some plywood wheels they make an amazing sharpening system. Sharpening rouge on the wheels makes razor sharp tools easy, and sharpness is what it's all about. And the flexshafts are great for carving of course. I also a have an oscillating spindle sander there for shaping. The HF bench grinders are a steal especially on sale...$30, variable speed to 10,000 rpm.
The whole setup will be in front of a window with a hooded box fan so I don't have to worry about sawdust and burning fumes/smoke

I'm really just getting started with the carving but I'm really enjoying it a lot and want to see how far I can take it. Most pieces I'll either keep or donate to charity or give to family/friends. I may sell a few if I can to fund some more tools....:)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 07:37:01 AM by stoneaxe »
Bob

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: March 16, 2019, 09:01:00 AM »
Haven't really looked at this in a while.
Your stuff is way cool. I love it.
That Manta and the eye are especially nice.
Always liked your totems too.
Quite the eye you have to visualize tha eye. I am sure some of that just kind of morphs into it but quite the inspiration you got going.
Been thinking of making a birdhouse of some sort here soon to put out this spring. This thread may help inspire me to really get it going.
Never had a clue about a power carver. Kind of a Dremel on steroids.

I jumped on an and demoed an ebike a couple of summers ago and was absolutely blown away.
I demoed some others a few weeks later and found out they are not all created equal.
I jumped on a Trek (I think) with a Bosch power pack and could not believe the hills I was riding up and the way the assist really was just assist but more so when I really needed it.
Lust at first feel. It was like $4,000.
The others I demoed, good brands with different varying power packs didn't grab me the same way.
There were subtle and signifiicant differences I noticed. Maybe it was just me and the different day and all but talking to the reps there are some differences in how they go.
I also know I jumped on a porsche the first time which probably was a mistake.
Lots of people here know lots about them and I have revisted some threads in the past.
I will do so again.
Right now my dad is thinking about getting an E trike.
He is 85 and there are not lots of them to choose from.
He has not rode a bicycle in 50 years plus so we both think the trike is the way to go.
He really has done no physical activity thing in........ever so a trike wins over a bicycle.
blah, blah, blah........
Anyways, cool stuff you got going on, I like.

What Weasel said, get your Ebike going. It going to be something you love and you will wonder why you didn't do it sooner.
(...cough..just looked up the rad rover......cough....damn...going to take a hard look. thanks. I had found some on ebay out of europe with a bosch power pack but these got my eye for sure)

Before you know it you going to have so many carvings you going to be packing up a trailer and going on some southern US craft tour selling at all the little festivals in the warm climates during the winter. Not a bad way to spend a winter or few.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 09:14:51 AM by lucabrasi »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: March 16, 2019, 05:39:00 PM »
There's lots to choose from in eBikes these days, but the simple reality is that if you're just going to ride it on the street, then a cheap bike and a good motor makes the most sense. No matter what the end result will be heavy, so the the things that make an expensive bike expensive--strong but light components--don't matter. Bolt 15 pounds of motor and 20 pounds of battery on and you have a 65 pound bike--no matter what you started with.

Anyone who has built one with the simple approach of adding a BaFeng mid drive and a suitable battery has been happy with the result. It's hardly challenging--an afternoon of effort.  Luca. the 4K trek you liked probably has a 350 watt mid drive motor and certainly has no more than 750W, the motor Bob has is 1000W, and will walk away from the trek. The bosch has plastic drive gears that are a known weakness, the Bafeng has a brass pinon and aluminum spur gear. Luna Cycles has been selling the kits for years--many thousands of them. On the other hand if you wanted to spend 4K on a bike you could buy a Luna Cycles SurRon: https://lunacycle.com/sur-ron-x-bike/  They ship them set up road legal with the limiter set to 750 watts. You can take the limiter off in ten minutes with a screwdriver and ride it with 6000 watts--not legal on any road in the USA.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 05:57:08 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #179 on: March 16, 2019, 06:24:06 PM »
The craft scene can be surprising. I met a woman at a small craft fair a few years ago. I was buying the parts for a weathervane from a place up in Maine and the fair was across the street so we went over. She was doing pyrography on a variety of woods. Lots of driftwood and branches, some old barnwood. Lot's of beach and lake scenes, simply but nicely done. I could easily do the same. She said she and her husband traveled from show to show and she sold on Etsy and the like. She did 2,000 pieces a year (she was crazy fast, she did one in the 10 mins we were talking) and they started at $25 and went up to $100. I wouldn't want to do that much but between carvings and pyrography I could certainly sell some stuff.

If I sell stuff I'll probably put it into machines. I'd like a CNC and maybe a laser. Skies the limit on what can be done with decent equipment. I'd like to do custom 3D maps. I've always been a fan of nice maps and I enjoy making them and the 3D could be a nice mix of tech and craftsmanship. I'm going to do one for myself just using my scroll saw and pyro pen.

That's a cool looking bike.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 06:26:22 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal