Author Topic: Throwing in the towel  (Read 97986 times)

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Throwing in the towel
« Reply #150 on: February 19, 2019, 01:30:58 PM »
so the tim leary birdhouse is gone!!

damn--first dibs on the next one....

not kidding--it can join the buddha that sits above my deck.......
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

WhatsSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: February 19, 2019, 02:37:05 PM »
Stoney:  The whale eye is incredible.......WOW!  I wondered what the image would look like if I flipped the image and its very human like....very cool. 

Can't wait to see updates on the barreled surfer!

Your woodworking is VERY impressive...what an awesome hobby!  Love it!
Jimmy Lewis B&B Flat nose 10'1"
Sunova Creek 9'4" 
TAVA 11'2"
NSP Element 11'
KeNalu Wiki paddle
Kialoa Insanity paddle
Misc other paddles

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #152 on: February 20, 2019, 08:59:54 PM »
so the tim leary birdhouse is gone!!

damn--first dibs on the next one....

not kidding--it can join the buddha that sits above my deck.......
Wish I had known...I'd have given you this one. I actually gave it away to someone I'd never met. I'm in a FB group for the local beach...nice folks...only positive interactions....a breath of fresh air compared to most of FB. Great pictures...lots of photographers in the area...the admin is one and she walks the beach every day with her dog and posts videos of the water......between her and the others there are usually between 5 and 10 pics and vids of the waves every day....like having a beach cam almost. It's helping me learn what that beach does for waves and when. I had posted a pic of the birdhouse there and had a bunch of folks say they really liked it. My wife thought it was a bit too colorful... :P.....so I put everyones name in a hat and pulled one.

Next one is yours but it may take awhile...honey do list is getting long....have to get the table done before I do anything else.

It's the All Seeing Eye of Horus!

LOL....Sue and I went to the RISD museum a few weeks back. Took some pictures....

« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 09:13:53 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: February 21, 2019, 03:05:01 PM »
RISD museum!!  there you go again making me jealous--seems you are handling retirement just fine, stones

my wife went to Brown, and is an oft-published art historian, and curator at a major museum--love to tour with her--too long since ive done so

if my new business blows up ill be freeeeee!
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: February 21, 2019, 03:07:04 PM »
btw where did supcheat go? i know he's not missing my libtardation, but he'd likely miss some other stuff--hope the guy's ok
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #155 on: February 21, 2019, 08:33:48 PM »
Shit...made me realize we hadn't heard from him in awhile. Hope so too.

Great museum....not huge but a nice collection and I really enjoyed all the furniture and carvings.

You're wife may have known my wife's Uncle, Bertram Brown. He was a History prof at Brown but may have been before her time...he died in 1978 I think.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 08:40:29 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #156 on: March 14, 2019, 03:30:48 PM »
I gave Mike the whale's eye. It's in the office at H4O, another charity org that he's starting.

I was going to use this for the auction at the CCBC this year but I put it up on the wall here and decided it's a keeper. I'll do another for the CCBC. I was real happy with everything on this but the cephalic fins...too small and not swept down enough. But it will look really nice with the coffee table I'm building. I ended up burning all the Manta's. I was regretting it at 1st but kept going and I'm happy with the results. Nice color and the grain still comes through.

I'm just getting started on the build of the table itself. I think it should go together pretty quickly. Just a web of criss crossing driftwood glued and screwed onto a heavy base. I'm starting cutting tonight.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 03:34:24 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: March 14, 2019, 03:43:31 PM »
Beautiful work, indeed!  And a nice Baby Taylor, too.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: March 14, 2019, 06:05:50 PM »
Right on! My daughter has a Baby Taylor...a very unique sounding guitar.

Your art is inspiring Stoney!

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #159 on: March 14, 2019, 06:51:55 PM »
Thanks.
That's actually a Uke....that I have not yet learned how to play. No excuses now that I have time. I actually just pulled it out and tuned it. I have a good friend that is an amazing musician that has offered to teach...that and youtube hopefully will get me on the way. Not sure...my hands don't work like they used to. Arthritis taking hold. Hurts like hell after awhile carving but if I couldn't ignore pain I wouldn't be doing much of anything....;)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 06:54:30 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: March 14, 2019, 08:24:41 PM »
Have you seen a doc for your symptoms? Some forms of arthritis can be put into remission. It's something you can talk to your doctor about during a physical. MSM decreases symptoms in some people but be sure you let your doc know you're taking it--it interacts badly with a lot of other medecines.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

WhatsSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: March 15, 2019, 04:56:04 AM »
Beautiful work Stoney!!!  Do you have a finished pic of the whale's eye?  Look forward to seeing the finished barreled surfer artwork too!!!!

Hope to catch up soon!
Jimmy Lewis B&B Flat nose 10'1"
Sunova Creek 9'4" 
TAVA 11'2"
NSP Element 11'
KeNalu Wiki paddle
Kialoa Insanity paddle
Misc other paddles

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #162 on: March 15, 2019, 06:16:07 AM »
Have you seen a doc for your symptoms? Some forms of arthritis can be put into remission. It's something you can talk to your doctor about during a physical. MSM decreases symptoms in some people but be sure you let your doc know you're taking it--it interacts badly with a lot of other medecines.
WebMD says no known interactions; it's relatively inert. It also says evidence is lacking for most uses but it has shown promise with osteo.

My docs (spoken to general, rheumatologist and orthopedic surgeon) all tell me that it is okay to push through pain that isn't severe. The reason I see a rheumatoligist is that sometimes I get systemic bilateral spikes - multiple joints on both sides becoming inflamed out of the blue. That's a sign of a rheumatic condition that may be treated differently. Mine is likely reactive arthritis but that's difficult to diagnose definitively as it is a reaction to an infection that has come and gone weeks earlier. I don't get it all that often but I do get plain old osteo fairly often. The surgeon that did my shoulders and one knee takes a picture of that while he is in there. It looks like chalk marks on bones. It's his disclaimer picture - there is nothing he can do to get the joints completely pain free.

Losing a lot of weight helped a lot with knee osteo and hip bursitis. Keeping my hands below my ears as much as possible, especially when loaded with weight, helps limit shoulder bursitis. Hands are more of a pain. Movement helps, but you probably know that. By that I mean not keeping the same position too long, like gripping a screw driver. I push through pain more with them than any other area.

I try to limit NSAIDs as much as possible, but sometimes I break down and take ibuprofen or naproxen. Worst case with systemic is a pred-pak but that's a last resort. It's like magic as far as effectiveness but the list of warnings is a mile long.

Cold and damp is my worst enemy. In the "where to reitre" thread, I am all about FL...
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2018 Hydro-Force fastblast 12'6"
2019 BKC 12'

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: March 15, 2019, 06:46:28 AM »
Thanks.
That's actually a Uke....that I have not yet learned how to play.

Wow, never actually seen a Taylor Uke. 

Jumping Jim (Beloff), is a little corny but has put out some great learn to play books and videos.  I picked up the uke in the mid 90's with Jumpin' Jim's Ukulele Tips 'N' Tunes.  But, I'm sure you already know, there is tons of great, free content on youtube including some good stuff from Jake Shimabakoroo. 

Channel your inner IZ!

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: March 15, 2019, 07:33:18 AM »
Thanks.
That's actually a Uke....that I have not yet learned how to play. No excuses now that I have time. I actually just pulled it out and tuned it. I have a good friend that is an amazing musician that has offered to teach...that and youtube hopefully will get me on the way. Not sure...my hands don't work like they used to. Arthritis taking hold. Hurts like hell after awhile carving but if I couldn't ignore pain I wouldn't be doing much of anything....;)
. Is it a Taylor uke?  I know how irritating and scary it is to live with pain every day.  Me, too.  I really admire your life-force, and your artistic skills.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal