Author Topic: Throwing in the towel  (Read 97970 times)

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
Re: Throwing in the towel
« Reply #135 on: January 12, 2019, 09:08:03 AM »
 Bob,  That is some creative work!.  If I can get a straight edge on a table saw, I'm smiling.

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #136 on: February 04, 2019, 06:34:06 PM »
Still working on the wave. I've decided it's going to be a carving of a picture of a good friend on a wave during one of the CCBC contests. My friend Tim caught a great ride...now I just need to find the pic. Weed took it...I have a message in to him. Thought I had it but can't find the damn thing. Still work to do on the whitewater, rim of the curl and a little on the face....still need to carve Tim...going to be a skinny stick figure...just like him.....:) I say that with the greatest respect...if you saw him you would not think he is an athlete but he is about as hard core as it gets.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: February 05, 2019, 07:43:08 AM »
That's simply outstanding Stoney.   

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #138 on: February 05, 2019, 08:07:05 AM »
Incredible. Let me know when the bidding opens  ;D

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #139 on: February 05, 2019, 08:58:50 PM »
This ones going to be a gift for Tim. I'm going to do some more waves though. This was fun and I have a lot of pieces of wood that are prefect for this.

I think I'm bringing the Manta's to auction at the CCBC. I was going to put it on a coffee table I'm building from driftwood and glass, but Sue had the idea to build the table as a case for yet another set of Manta's. Oval glass table with twists of driftwood attached to an oval slab base with the manta's above it under the glass. I don't think it's going to be that hard to build. Should look nice and keep the table clear for use.

I'm also carving a bigger Manta for Brownie's charity...Human's for Oceans. That will be done soon. Table after that. I've got all the wood collected for it.

I also did this bird house....a bit bizarre....I was just practicing the vines....then decided to paint. sue said "if Peter Max carved bird houses...I think it was a compliment... ???
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 09:02:52 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: February 05, 2019, 09:57:10 PM »
Very cool Bro, I think that will look great in your backyard, but the birds might see it differently. If you plant a serious weed crop back there you might get more takers though.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #141 on: February 06, 2019, 04:59:54 AM »
If?

This one might make them go elsewhere but they do see things differently ...more colors for one so this may not throw them off unless it says snake. Birds are weird. I built a birdhouse years ago and painted the face and mouth of a cat on the front with a sign saying Cat Fud Inn (Far Side reference..:) ). I built it as a joke but birds lived in it every year...still do.
Bob

WhatsSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: February 06, 2019, 07:24:29 AM »
Stoney:  LOVE the woodworking projects!!!!!  VERY VERY nice!  Can't wait to see the finished barrel rider piece!

Speaking of birdhouses, when I retired from service at the very end of 2014 I took several months off before starting the recent gig.  So what better to do than try my hand at making a birdhouse!  Here's what I came up with......I decided it was too pretty to put out in the yard for the birds so have it downstairs in my man-cave in the corner.  I really need to accept the fact that it needs to go outside on a pole and see if any feathered friends can put it to use for a year or so before it disintegrates!

Jimmy Lewis B&B Flat nose 10'1"
Sunova Creek 9'4" 
TAVA 11'2"
NSP Element 11'
KeNalu Wiki paddle
Kialoa Insanity paddle
Misc other paddles

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #143 on: February 06, 2019, 03:45:35 PM »
Very cool...I built a SUP shack one similar to that.....:)

Sounds like you already realize that pressboard won't last outside.....;)

The cool thing about these are that they are all cedar. I just poly the exterior and they'll last 10 years. I have a big log of juniper i'll be working with soon which is even better. There are birdhouses still up at our old house that I built 25 years ago from some juniper logs I got on the Cape.

I think I've mentioned this here before. There are big differences in the rot resistance between the two.  Arborvitae...(eastern white cedar) the stuff you see in landscaping so commonly is (thuja) cedar, that's what these trees are..old landscape plantings. Not all that rot resistant unless you treat the exterior some. The trees that you see in swamps a lot around here common name is eastern red cedar but actually name is juniperus virginiana. Tougher to work than the cedar but very rot resistant. In addition to the birdhouse there are poles and fence posts in the ground (untreated) that have been there 15-20 years and are still solid. Found a picture...taken a year or two after we finished build our Asian garden. 2001 I think, the posts for that gate are still rock solid today except for the very tops getting a little dry rot.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 03:59:12 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #144 on: February 11, 2019, 09:48:33 AM »
I keep adding to the list of things to do then jumping in with something else. I was looking over my wood pile for the pieces for the table when I saw an eye in a log. I thought dragon's eye at 1st but then this jumped out at me. Just had to do it so I grabbed it and started cutting...:)

Humpback eye in progress. I'm done with the exterior, the last picture was taken last night. i've burnt it darker in some spots and sanded lighter in others to be mottled like the real thing. Two coats of satin poly so far, probably two more then buffed/softened with steel wool. The eye itself is carved and has one coat of poly on it. It will probably take 10-15 coats of gloss to get the depth I want. I think it will look pretty cool once done.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 09:53:41 AM by stoneaxe »
Bob

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #145 on: February 17, 2019, 07:52:51 PM »
Kinda creepy but I like it....
Bob

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #146 on: February 17, 2019, 09:01:06 PM »
You got a great eye Bob. Or should I say..."You've got one whale of an eye there." ;D
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: February 18, 2019, 10:34:33 AM »
Oh no, you didn't... ;D

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #148 on: February 18, 2019, 07:15:39 PM »
;D

I'm having fun doing all the carving obviously. I've got a couple other projects going and adding some more. I like having a few underway, mix it up some, wait for some inspiration, different stages of work. The big manta is looking good. I gave away the bird house. Getting started on the driftwood coffee table. I hope this comes out the way I envision it....it looks beautiful in my mind....:)
Bob

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: February 19, 2019, 06:48:01 AM »
It's the All Seeing Eye of Horus!
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal