Author Topic: Throwing in the towel  (Read 97987 times)

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Throwing in the towel
« Reply #120 on: January 09, 2019, 04:52:56 PM »
Wow, I really like those tires on that Mongoose Dolomite. . . .
If anyone knows what they are, let me know here, thanks.

I have been having a hard time finding tires that will NOT wear out in << 500 miles.  I tried some of the cheaper ones figuring why buy a $70 tire that wears just as fast.

See these as an option $34 at Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Mongoose-MG78251-2-Fat-Tire-26/dp/B01CGDW1S2/ref=sr_1_3?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1547081389&sr=1-3&keywords=26x4+tires

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 10, 2019, 08:26:59 AM »
Thanks Beasho, you're not the first one to recco those on a different web site that I frequent.  Those knobs are wider which should help get better mileage.
It takes a quiver to do that.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #122 on: January 10, 2019, 09:32:00 PM »
I passed the link on to Sue for my birthday.

I'm thinking I don't actually need the power. It's only 1 to 1.5 miles to a beach.  I'm in the middle on top of a hill so downhill going there. Might suck on the way back especially if I come off the water tired or hurt. 3 more miles out to the point on the beach road at Long beach. Not long bike rides but i'm sure I'll like the added boost especially towing a board and maybe some gear.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 09:53:58 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #123 on: January 10, 2019, 09:53:15 PM »
Since I've been spending so much time around the house lately I've been getting some carving done.
This Ray still has some work to be done , basically thinning it all out a little, mostly rasps and hand sanding at this point. Some stain and poly for a finish later. I'm doing two of these, the second with the wings inverted, and mounting them on a piece of spalted Lilac root that could pass for a coral head. Should be pretty cool.
I have a bunch of hollow arborvitae logs, half the shape was there already. I'm also doing a wave...and finally got the CCBC tiki done....I call it "I Shitzu Knot". I auctioned a custom Tiki and she wanted her dog immortalized.... ;D. This wood is so easy to work with the new power carver I got for Christmas. I'm getting a new pen for my woodburner and this wood burns nicely too.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 10, 2019, 10:54:28 PM »
I passed the link on to Sue for my birthday.

I'm thinking I don't actually need the power. It's only 1 to 1.5 miles to a beach.  I'm in the middle on top of a hill so downhill going there. Might suck on the way back especially if I come off the water tired or hurt. 3 more miles out to the point on the beach road at Long beach. Not long bike rides but i'm sure I'll like the added boost especially towing a board and maybe some gear.

Go small on the battery. If you only need a few miles on the flats then a 48V 10A battery and charger from eBay will be fine. About 200 bucks. You'll use the bike a lot more if it's eBike.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

supthecreek

« Reply #125 on: January 11, 2019, 01:29:18 AM »
This trike has "Stoney" written all over it!

Put down the chisel for a bit, and pick up the welder.... nice winter project!

I like the idea of a pre breakfast walk to the beach every day....
great for the head in many ways and who knows, it may help as much as standup did when you first conquered that.

First thing I do everyday is ride my mountain bike to check the surf, then ride down to a southside for a beach walk.
The ride back up from the beach is my aerobic workout and leg burner.

WhatsSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 11, 2019, 04:34:52 AM »
Stoney:  Awesome job on the Ray......looks VERY cool!  Nicely done!

I'm only 4 miles from my surf breaks and wish I could ride a bike to them but I'd be flirting with disaster the second I got out of my quiet neighbor.....no shoulder and fast moving traffic on Rt 138 (East Main Rd) for about 3/4's of a mile with no real work around/alternate route.  :(
Jimmy Lewis B&B Flat nose 10'1"
Sunova Creek 9'4" 
TAVA 11'2"
NSP Element 11'
KeNalu Wiki paddle
Kialoa Insanity paddle
Misc other paddles

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #127 on: January 11, 2019, 12:55:42 PM »
That sounds perfect Bill. Sue gacked at the $665 for the Luna 52.

That trike is friggin awesome Creek. I may eventually go that route. Reminds me of when I was a kid we used to mod our bikes into choppers using staging cross braces...stolen from the nearest construction site usually.....:). They would slide over existing forks if you hammered them into an oval. Had a friend do a 30' superman when his came off going down a hill.

My ride is OK for the most part. Long beach is 1 mile and has one sketchy section of road about 1/2 mile long. not terribly busy this time of year but not much shoulder and a bit narrow. Whitehorse beach is 1.5 miles. Same road, same conditions, just longer and in the other direction

I couldn't sleep last night...spinning head....so I did some more work on the rays. Just need to figure out the final finish. I'm thinking of using a cobalt blue stain for the top of the rays and leave the underside natural. Not sure, need to test it on another piece.
I've had that lilac root for almost 15 years. My now son-in-law gave it to me a couple years after he started dating my daughter. Could never figure out what to do with it. It's got rocks and grit in it. Perfect for a base after sanding and shaping a little though.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 01:03:39 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Bob

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 11, 2019, 01:47:32 PM »
Bob, your woodwork is always outstanding, but the I Shizu Not is just pure genius.  With those teeth, it captures our bulldog's expression pretty much to a tee. 

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 11, 2019, 02:10:06 PM »
Beautiful work. The idea of the vivid blue and natural wood sounds Very cool.

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 11, 2019, 03:10:00 PM »
Check this thing out, it popped up on my FB feed today.  If I lived where it snows, I'd get one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lKq1fGtXFM
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 03:12:19 PM by Weasels wake »
It takes a quiver to do that.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #133 on: January 11, 2019, 03:29:22 PM »
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2018 Hydro-Force fastblast 12'6"
2019 BKC 12'

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #134 on: January 11, 2019, 04:32:13 PM »
LOL...I wasn't too sure about I Shitzu knot...:). Her Shitzu had an underbite. I still need to do a little burning to better match it's colors. I use a small torch that gives me good control.

I'm real happy with the Rays. Doing a shark or whale next I think. Wife wants a whales tail....need to find the right piece of wood for that.

Bob

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal