Author Topic: Throwing in the towel  (Read 98012 times)

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Throwing in the towel
« Reply #90 on: October 23, 2018, 08:45:32 PM »
Love this!  Did you have any problems while drilling with the rocks splitting?

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #91 on: October 23, 2018, 09:21:41 PM »
No...none at all....water drip on the drill and you twist it/spiral as you drill. Less than a minute a stone. I did burn out a bit when I used it on my drill press. Straight doesn't work...you are actually supposed to spiral it some. I'm going to make a few at the same time...I figure I can build 3 of them in 4-6 hours now. I need to find some longer bits though....can't go much thicker with what I have and I want to use some bigger rocks. I may actually buy myself a hammer drill....I'm interested in doing some other work with stone and it would be better....cheaper bits and longer.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 09:30:38 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 23, 2018, 10:21:32 PM »
You never use a hammer drill motor with Diamond bits. Turns them into non-diamond bits in about a second. Here's another good reason you should live closer, I have two of them gathering dust. I try to avoid using them. And no, you can't drill rocks with a hammer bit, at least I don't think you can. They don't so much cut as chip. Good for concrete, and that's about it as far as I can see. Most of my hammer drill bits are three feet long--saves the back.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 24, 2018, 05:26:46 AM »
jeez stones, having much fun?

love the lamp--evokes all the rock piles ive seen in my short life--and rock piles seem to be in important places--tops of mountains ive climbed--gorgeous beaches ive hiked to--etc etc--

your babcock genes are clearly happy and active--might be you start knitting and crocheting soon--why not? just another buld puzzle to solve and execute

have fun, you dog--im sitting in frt of a bunch of computers watching trades go up my.......hoping i can find a way to pull them out

not surprised stox are having trouble--but my normal trades are doing weird stuff---happens---if it was easy we'd all be rich and our money would be worth nothing....

good news round here comes sunday--morning in LI, afternoon in new england....money dont matter in the water!
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #94 on: October 24, 2018, 06:38:32 AM »
I know you don't use diamond with a hammer.... :)

Hammer drills for stone for sure.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jN23GO1c2Y8
« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 07:04:33 AM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 24, 2018, 06:57:30 AM »
think sunday afternoon. stones!
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #96 on: October 24, 2018, 07:18:01 AM »
I enjoy having the time to do this but honestly I miss work. Good crew, interesting and important projects....doing this stuff is fun but not as fulfilling. Still feels like something is missing.

Hopefully I'll be able to drive Sunday.... :)
Bob

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #97 on: October 24, 2018, 12:16:17 PM »
Now I'm building my daughter a couple of benches while I also watch her daughter.....fun little munchkin..... :)

Bob

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #98 on: November 14, 2018, 08:20:29 AM »
Phew.....head freaking out this week.....crazy today. Vertigo off the charts when I woke....stumbling around grabbing on to shit....I need a paddle for dry land....;) It's been off an on for the last couple …...haven't surfed at all...no driving to distant waves...... >:(

Good thing I have other hobbies....I've become quite the cook..most some of the time...and my artistic side is being rekindled...
https://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,34241.0.html

Benches came out well also IMNSHO

« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 08:24:24 AM by stoneaxe »
Bob

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 14, 2018, 10:18:24 AM »
hang in there stones--seems you are doing so, but encouragement cant hurt

and neither can recognition that you are a badass, not letting your head crap own you

nor can recognition that you clearly have a great wife, based on what ive read here over the years, incl over at the wave art link....

hope current head crap has normalized, or at least will do so in time for what might be a decent fri/sat swell

still want to get a sesh/feed/drink with you some day--not this wknd where ill be surfing near home cuz it's the big bad scary six oh! NO! NO! not the six oh!!!!   i can fill my muscle mass withering away...........
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #100 on: November 14, 2018, 01:46:20 PM »
Sorry to hear about the head crap Stoney. I've had a few minor vertigo spells in the past few weeks. Only last a couple of seconds though. Mostly when I looking down and then look up. The next benches need to have some totem legs and longboard bench tops with ebony stringers 8)
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #101 on: November 27, 2018, 07:16:28 PM »
Fuck....nice waves today, didn't leave the house, seems like every time we have waves lately my head is too screwed up to do anything about it. I watched the Jaws Challenge and Longboard championships......hard core charging massive shit and then grace and beauty on chest high waves....not sure if it helped or made me more frustrated but both were amazing to watch.
Bob

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #102 on: November 27, 2018, 08:34:38 PM »
Sometimes we all have to put things in perspective, reflect, and realize how good we have it. Waves come and go. When your head gets straight the waves will be there. It's worse when I know it's good, I can physically see it and I could be there in 10 minutes, but I can't go because of stuff..... It'd be easier if I lived an hour from the beach and couldn't see it.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #103 on: November 28, 2018, 12:32:45 PM »
Yeah...I know that these are 1st world problems. I've spent a lot of time considering just how lucky I am. I have been keeping busy for the most part but I'm jonesing to get out there.....I may just start walking to the beach. I have a Mule and it's just a bit over a mile. Walk would be good for me too....I had thoughts about a bike...e-bike actually but had 2nd thoughts when the vertigo starting getting bad again. I'll get out there, may have to start bumming rides....:). I'll be covered when my buddy Tim goes on the weekends...he said he'll text whenever he's going out and headed this way. He also has one of the most awesome surf shacks you could want.
Bob

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 28, 2018, 01:08:54 PM »
1st world or not, sorry youre having a tough run in here, stones

you seem good at putting one foot in front of the other--just keeping on with things often yields better circumstances

hang in there
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal