Author Topic: Throwing in the towel  (Read 98029 times)

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Throwing in the towel
« Reply #60 on: September 26, 2018, 01:01:55 PM »
Certain breeds make good rescue dogs. Most hunting -water-, and companion dogs would fit the bill.
I think most working dogs are better to get as a pup for guaranteed sociability.  In a household with no kids and no other cats or dogs anything is possible.
But not knowing about the first years of a strong breeds life makes for a tricky adoption.

Board Stiff

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 26, 2018, 01:30:16 PM »
Stoney - Sorry to hear about your health troubles, but congrats and best wishes on your retirement!

BS

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 27, 2018, 07:43:46 AM »
I think you got the cart in front of the horse. Pit Bulls are the most common dogs in shelters and that's why they cause 50,000 serious injuries to people a year? I've looked at the statistics, mostly from people defending the breed, and the conclusions they come to astonish me. One site that claims to have better statistics because they are peer-reviewed concluded (after saying that pit bulls represent 40 percent of the population in shelters) that the pit bull population was much greater than the 3.91 million population number generally estimated because they are the third most common dog adopted from shelters. You have to laugh at that one.

You can raise a Tiger to live among a family, some people do. I wouldn't.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 07:49:21 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #63 on: September 27, 2018, 08:08:31 AM »
I think you got the cart in front of the horse. Pit Bulls are the most common dogs in shelters and that's why they cause 50,000 serious injuries to people a year? I've looked at the statistics, mostly from people defending the breed, and the conclusions they come to astonish me. One site that claims to have better statistics because they are peer-reviewed concluded (after saying that pit bulls represent 40 percent of the population in shelters) that the pit bull population was much greater than the 3.91 million population number generally estimated because they are the third most common dog adopted from shelters. You have to laugh at that one.

You can raise a Tiger to live among a family, some people do. I wouldn't.
You have to admit though that Pit Bulls are stupid cool. They also seem to be very popular among a low income and homeless demographic. For protection I'm sure. Growing up we always had German Shepherds. Smart dogs for our blue collar protection. One of them did bite the mailman one time in our yard, which was not good. 
My sister has had a few Newfoundlands. Even though they have webbed feet for swimming we could never get them out into the water with us. They are big heavy, lazy slobber machines.... but happy dogs. Mutts seem to live longer;D
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #64 on: September 27, 2018, 11:14:18 AM »
OK Bill I get it...so don't get a Pit. You're welcome to your opinion. Many of the attacks from Pit Bulls come from people rescuing them from shelters and then getting bit. And because so many are in shelters the numbers get skewed, not sure how that doesn't affect your statistics.  I wouldn't rescue a Pit or a Rotty or a Doberman...there's a whole long list of breeds I would not have at all, another that I wouldn't rescue unless they were pups. If a scumbag raises a dog to be protection then abandons it and somebody rescues it and keeps it despite it showing aggression that's simply stupid. Lots of stupid people out there rescuing dogs that have bad history. If I rescued any dog and it showed any signs of aggression...it's gone...I don't care what breed it is. Every Pit that I've known that has been raised in a loving caring family has been a good dog. I'll base my opinion on my own observations but the AKC agrees.

"The American Staffordshire Terrier, known to their fans as AmStaffs, are smart, confident, good-natured companions. Their courage is proverbial. A responsibly bred, well-socialized AmStaff is a loyal, trustworthy friend to the end."

« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 11:29:29 AM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #65 on: September 27, 2018, 12:22:59 PM »
That is a good looking dog Bob. Anything but a lap dog.... please! My neighbor is a big guy and has 3 little Rat Dogs ( Chihuahuas ) OMG. Little yap machines that nip at your ankles from behind. They don't potty train well either. Their whole house is tile floors because of it:(  I don't get the attraction.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 27, 2018, 12:34:08 PM »
I have no idea whether it's inherent to the breed of to the people who acquire them, but when a dog that represents 2 percent of the population is responsible for 50 percent of the fatal attacks, 51 percent of attacks requiring surgery, 62 percent of the serious attacks on other pets and 40 percent of the dogs surrendered to shelters, I detect a problem. If it's rescue dogs that are the problem I have to wonder--why were they surrendered in numbers 20 times their relative population to begin with?

I never care much about anecdotal evidence, but three of the three people I know (excluding Jacqui) who have Pit Bulls have had serious attacks in their family. One of them was a rescue dog--a smallish female. The others raised from a pup by people I'd expect to be good to their dog.

I didn't mean to start a debate, just stated that I would never get a high risk dog and gave my reasons. My personal reasons. I know you love all dogs, I think you should get one right away.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 12:40:27 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #67 on: September 27, 2018, 02:04:06 PM »
I have no idea whether it's inherent to the breed of to the people who acquire them,

I hate pit bulls, but I don't think it's as much the breed as it is the capabilities of the dog.  My little lap dogs would be as likely to attack someone that seemed threatening as would a pit bull.  The difference is they are not capable of doing as much damage and are easier to stop.
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #68 on: September 27, 2018, 02:24:58 PM »
I don't mind little dogs but they aren't for me.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 27, 2018, 04:46:39 PM »
That is a good looking dog Bob. Anything but a lap dog.... please! My neighbor is a big guy and has 3 little Rat Dogs ( Chihuahuas ) OMG. Little yap machines that nip at your ankles from behind. They don't potty train well either. Their whole house is tile floors because of it:(  I don't get the attraction.
From my personal experience only, I've known a couple of Pit Bulls, both very friendly, Pretzel and Pinky, I've known or been around many Chihuahuas, I think Chihuahuas are one of the most evil Cujos ever bred, mean sons of bitches.  Even when you think there might be a friendly one, he'll bite you on the way out the door.
But that's just me, and I'm a dog lover.  :P
It takes a quiver to do that.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #70 on: September 28, 2018, 08:18:34 AM »
This has been a strange feeling for me. I love dogs and cats both. I've always had both except for few very short periods in my life. My daughters commented once that so many of the picture of me when I was a kid I have a cat in my arms or a dog with me or both.

We're also getting a cat....my wife doesn't know it yet but I'm looking for a Maine Coon or Norwegian Forest for her.
Bob

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #71 on: September 28, 2018, 09:38:31 AM »
LOL...so funny this showed up on FB today. This dog actually looks just like my daughters...except that she's been trained not to jump. Can't break her from licking though...:)

I think I saw Bill run out the door.....:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElniJgYScIU
« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 09:40:52 AM by stoneaxe »
Bob

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #72 on: October 01, 2018, 04:57:52 AM »
That's hilarious.  Those guys must not have much experience with dogs because that dog was obviously friendly; tail was wagging and it's body language was not saying attack. 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #73 on: October 01, 2018, 08:59:05 AM »
Maybe I should take up dog training as a side hustle....:) I've always been good with dogs. I was always bringing home strays. We already had a dog so I couldn't keep them but I'd either find the owner if I could or find a new one for it if I couldn't. They were always better behaved and trained than when I found them.
Bob

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 01, 2018, 10:28:04 AM »
There's a surprising amount of money in it, mostly because it works well to train multiple dogs simultaneously, but also because people love their pets. Even just dog sitting is a reasonably remunerative thing.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal