Author Topic: Throwing in the towel  (Read 97988 times)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Re: Throwing in the towel
« Reply #45 on: September 24, 2018, 08:10:47 PM »
Time to get a pup. This is the longest I've gone (1.5 years) without a dog in my life. We had discussed it when we moved but agreed that we would wait until retirement since pups take so much time. One of the boat Captains for the CCBC does transport for a local rescue shelter...picking up dogs from kill shelters. I'm going to talk to him about finding me one. One part of me wants to find some old dog that has been abandoned and needs someone to love them. The other part wants a puppy that will bond with me and my family that I can train, and that I can be sure doesn't have behavioral issues (concern for young grandkids). I think the pup has to be the way I go but I'm also thinking of volunteering at the local shelter....taking dogs out for a walk and such...good for both of us.

Not sure that there is a better therapy than dog slobber. I still miss my last dog terribly...I have a hard time eating the last bite of sandwiches...she got the last bite of every one for 15 years....can't wait to share again.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 24, 2018, 09:29:27 PM »
Good idea. Be rational though. Pick a breed that doesn't kill all that many people. Yeah, yeah, I know, pit bulls are sweet, it's the owners not the dogs. All true until they aren't.

I get the old dog thing, nice thought, but if someone is asshole enough to ditch a dog because it's old it's likely it didn't get the best upbringing. Besides, the worst thing about dogs is that they don't outlive us.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 25, 2018, 06:10:36 PM »
But yes, get a dog. You're overdue for one.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #48 on: September 25, 2018, 06:49:13 PM »
Yes on all of the above....though I have no qualms about Jacqui's dog. Great dog...of course she isn't one of the 120 lb pits either.

I'm looking for a small mixed breed of water dogs. I prefer mutts...labs, goldens....I'd love to find a Golden or Lab mixed with Nova Scotia Duck Trolling retriever. Almost any smaller water dog combo would work though. English Lab/poodle/spaniel/setter. I prefer female dogs. A dog small enough to take paddling but still big enough/strong enough to work....35-50 lbs or so. I'm looking forward to the training. Haven't seriously trained a dog since Conan. Quahogging by dog was unique...:). Samba just kind of trained herself to play soccer, though Jacqui worked with her quite a bit. Kasha's training...Jacqui's dog, was just basic obedience. She's a smart animal and eager to please. I thought about training her and taking her to one of those dog jumping competitions where they jump off a dock. If she had wings she would fly. She jumped an easy 20'-25', 6' off the ground once when we were just playing. And she left the ground just after running up some stairs not after running a straight away. She jumped over my shoulder, cleared most of the lower deck, all of the upper, the holly bush, and landed in the driveway...... :o. But she doesn't really like the water.... :P
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 06:51:10 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: September 25, 2018, 08:18:27 PM »
Jack Russell terrier's are perfect if you want to feel like you're never able to paying enough attention to them, or want to constantly feel guilty and insufficient ::) 
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #50 on: September 25, 2018, 10:04:42 PM »
I've thought about a Jack...I love the energy....I think, and the intelligence, but they are a but too small for me
Bob

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: September 25, 2018, 11:05:26 PM »
Mid sized labradorite   we have a125 golden /moose mix  swims like fish a 100 lb berne see and 2 mini labradoodles both swim like fishes my male lab doodle is about as tough and smart as they come   but they are very popular  so pricy   I think if u looked hard they will start showing up at shelters   I got to agree a golden  duck tollojng retrivervwould be a hell of a fiber water dog if you could find a medium doodle   45n50 lbs  or a small female golden might be ideal   God knows I love Goldens 
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

WhatsSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 26, 2018, 04:03:16 AM »
Stoney, Pup is a GREAT idea!!!!! 

How can you resist!

My "Brady"....all grown up and turning 7 next month!

Jimmy Lewis B&B Flat nose 10'1"
Sunova Creek 9'4" 
TAVA 11'2"
NSP Element 11'
KeNalu Wiki paddle
Kialoa Insanity paddle
Misc other paddles

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 26, 2018, 04:25:09 AM »
Just got back from a beach walk with our four Yorkies. Tomorrow the Doberman has her chance. Sadly to say a wonderful- to humans- Jack imprint trained the Doby to think all little ones will attack and she can’t mix with the Yorkies as a result.

These critters are definetly, after all the work and hassles, a plus for my psychological well being.

Good luck on your pup hunt.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #54 on: September 26, 2018, 06:12:33 AM »
Best water dog I ever had was Conan....he was lab and something...Shepard, I think Malinois or Belgian. He would dive to 10' to retrieve rocks and quohoggs and would swim for miles....I found him...fortunately....1/2 mile from shore one time when I had gone fishing with friends and he tried to follow the boat.... ::). Amazing hunting dog....never lost a bird. he would break ice to go for a swim....he was nuts....loved fireworks.
Bob

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 26, 2018, 06:26:57 AM »
I've never experienced a smart Golden, or one that wasn't just off in it's own little world. Crappy breeding for looks, methinks. Labs are 50/50 on smart, but always loyal and trying to please. The shorter ones tend to be hardier, actually a separate line of the breed, generally called English. Shorter legs, barrel chest. I had one that could outrun my bicycle when I was on wet sand and he was chest deep in water. Shoulda named him Freight Train.

Almost any Lab mix would be a good dog for you. Springers, Britannies, and the upland game dogs can be high maintenance. I love Britannies, but it's easy to get one that acts like a balloon in a high wind on a leash. It's nice to have a dog that just wants to hang out with you, but will also do the nutball stuff you want to do.

I'd never have a pit bull or any other high-risk dog--if nothing else just for the liability. If you own a lab and it takes a chunk out of the neighbor kids face, it's a tragedy, but probably not your fault. If it's a pit bull, stand by to be in hock for the rest of your life. More likely though it would be your face, or one of the grandkids. In the USA, 51,000 injuries requiring sutures or plastic surgery per year from Pit Bulls alone. That ends all the discussion for me.

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: September 26, 2018, 06:55:56 AM »
My pit bull story:  A new neighbor moved in across the street in Newport with a pit bull.  The first day they were there, we were walking our dogs at the same time, mine are small lap dogs.  The lady was very friendly and came right up to us with her giant dog, introducing herself in a very friendly way and apparently wanting our dogs to interact.

I hate pit bulls, and was not very diplomatic in telling her that I did not want her dog near my little dogs.  She was deeply offended and said her dog has never and would never hurt anyone and stomped away.  She called out to me as she left, "You are a very rude man."  I later apologized to her, and felt a little ashamed of myself for my reaction. 

About 6 months later, her dog bit mine in the face and dug a tooth through my little dog's sinus, just missing her eyes.  After a $600 vet bill, which I made sure was paid by my neighbor, my little dog was Ok, but my dog could have easily been killed or blinded.  So I still hate pit bulls, perhaps even more than before.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 07:05:42 AM by Zooport »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 26, 2018, 07:41:49 AM »
i love dogs--and id love to have one or two--and so would my family--but i am seriously allergic--even to allegedly hypoallergenic dogs (which dont exist except in the minds and promo mat'l of those who sell these dogs--at least acc to WebMD, etc)

in college my allergies werent so bad and shared a bullmastiff with my girlfriend at the time--what a great dog---and i dont think a potentially violent breed--despite the bulldog portion of the breed--my guy weighed 140lbs full grown--kids used to wrestle in a pile with him--no issue--he'd roar like a lion when someone came to the door, but his stump of a tail wagged the whole time--as tho he barked by obligation but really didnt give a shit

i had always thought it was the owner, not the breed--but after pb ranted a bit re pits, i read up--he's right--they tend to violence at a much higher rate than avg, so much so that it clearly aint about ahole owners---and when they go awry they are armed in ways most other dogs arent

more jealousy stones--i cant have a dog--and at this time in my life regular walks would be a plaeasure, not a stressor--and the rest of owning a dog is all pleasure--and we have a big empty 4 story house in brooklyn, which a dog would love bounding around in---every so often i test myself and make contact with a dog, to see if ive "grown out" of my adult onset allergies---immediate hives, ventolin etc--sux---dogs are so great
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 26, 2018, 08:54:13 AM »
We're dog folks too Stoney and it sounds like you have a good grasp of the type you want.  I hope you find the right mix.

Our history includes a 1/2 golden-1/2 lab mix, her 3/4 lab-1/4 golden son, a mutt rescue that looked like Benji, and now a puggle rescue that loves the beach but not a water dog at all.  All were good dogs around kids, but the Benji look alike hated other dogs. The puggle is not a smart dog, but it loves to play, run and snuggle, so for us she's perfect.  She's only about 3 or 4 now, so we have years of water avoidance and remedial trick education ahead.

My daughter's boyfriend is in vet college in Sydney now, and he's the son of a vet too.  His family has a Wheaten Terrier that is an absolute sweetheart, smart as can be, and soft as microfiber.  I think they got it from a breeder friend at whatever deal they give their vet, but it was still 10 times more than our rescue-dog.  Not sure if it's what you'd call a water dog.  When I think water dog, I think Lab and Lab mixes.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #59 on: September 26, 2018, 12:47:41 PM »
Kasha...my daughters Pit female is 45 lbs. She's had her from a pup. She likes other dogs, unless they are aggressive, loves cats, and loves people, especially our family of course. She has a very gentle mouth. if she thinks I'm playing too rough with the kids she'll hold my wrist in her mouth.

My daughter was walking her with a friend and her poodle puppy on the waterfront in Plymouth. A golden retriever attacked the puppy, Kasha attacked the golden, knocking it down and then just pinned it holding it by the neck....she never even broke it's skin.

My daughter was raking the yard and my granddaughter...then 4 was playing in the yard. A neighbors dog came running into the yard barking and running towards my granddaughter....Kasha..who runs like a greyhound intercepted the dog about 10' away....didn't bite it...rammed it with her chest and sent it flying, then straddled it growling.

The only person she has ever growled at was the scumbag neighbor we used to have. She did not like him....good taste too.

Statistics are also screwed Bill...Pit mixes are one of the most common dogs in shelters. I'd like to see the statistics on dogs that are raised from a puppy by one caring family that has trained it.
Bob

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal