Author Topic: Throwing in the towel  (Read 97963 times)

Subber

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Throwing in the towel
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2018, 01:44:33 PM »
Stoney,  No real words of wisdom from me.  I am sure you have tried everything, but I just want to share the story of my uncle, just in case it might help you.  He was suddenly struck with a severe case of vertigo that did not subside.  He was in his early seventies  He said that he could not walk and was continually throwing up.  He tried conventional medicine and nothing helped.  Finally, he came across someone who helped him perform a complex series of physical movements that somehow readjusted his inner ears.  He was immediately cured and has had no relapses.  I don't have the details, but if you want I could find out from him.  Wishing you the best.         

I believe it is called "The Epley maneuver or repositioning maneuver is a maneuver used to treat benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV) of the posterior or anterior canals. ... This maneuver was developed by Dr. John Epley and first described in 1980."

I personally had very bad vertigo and used the Epley maneuver successfully; however, the vertigo would come back.  Until, I started taking a large daily dose of magnesium - hasn't come back in ten years or so since.  Others I know had the same success with the Epley maneuver combined with the magnesium but, of course, theirs likely were not as serious as yours.

Stoney, all the best to you!
Jimmy Lewis Black & Blue Noserider 10'1"x31"x4.25," 164 liters, 24 lbs, 1 box
Pearson Laird Surftech Longboard 10'6"x23"x29.75"x18"x4.375," 154 liters, 24 lbs, 3 boxes
Takayama Ali'i II Surftech 11'x21.375”x28.5”x17.25”x 4.25,” 162 liters, 26 lbs, 3 boxes

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2018, 02:20:37 PM »
Thanks again...great to have friends... even online...just wish we could all have a beer together sometimes... :)

I'll be fine. It still sucks no question but in the grand scheme of things and in comparison to so many others I consider myself very lucky. I'm actually already finding that I'm working harder than I was when I was working...??? :o. Winter has me a bit worried when I'll have less I can work on outdoors, but I have a bunch of woodworking projects to do and I'm finally going to start learning to play my Uke. I have a long list of projects that I've thought about over the years, some I've actually designed, maybe now that I have time I'll finally build that woodfired sauna/greenhouse... :)

Unfortunately no cure for this vertigo....nothing left to fix...the vestibular organs and all the rest of the left side inner ear was removed with the tumor. I had one of the best ENT's and Neuro's there is work on me at Mass General Hospital. I'm lucky to live an hour from some of the best Docs in the world. I'd trust Mike McKenna with my life..did obviously..he had sharp knives in my head.... ;) Best doc I've ever had the pleasure to know. He had a crew of harvard research fellows following him around most of the time and they were all pretty fascinated with my case. I'll be seeing him for a new MRI of my head next spring just to make sure nothings growing in there again.

Thanks again for the well wishes and thoughts and best to your bro Slatch.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2018, 07:12:06 AM »
I think something is trying to tell me something. I got a little kick in the ass and reminder to stop feeling sorry for myself a moment ago......and I wrote the words myself about 7 years ago! I was moving a box of old SUP magazines in my cellar and the bottom of the box blew out. An old 2011 Standup paddle mag ends up flopped open on the floor....when I pick it up it's open to the health and fitness article they had on yours truly. I guess the piece of cardboard I stuck in the page way back then helped but the timing was good for me to read it...the pull quote title was "Another chapter in my life began". Reinforced just how lucky I've been.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2018, 06:33:39 PM »
Keeping busy....after a very nice paddle today I came home and started working on my outdoor shower renovation. Bigger, adding a bench inside, nicer floor , beefier structure, better drainage, nice door/gate. The area in front of the shower and cellar bulkhead always puddles when it rains so I'm modifying the downspouts and re-directing the water with some swales. The landscaping will be beach rocks and some native beach grass, driftwood and shells and whatever other stuff I find on the beach.

I poured a pad at the front of the bulkhead. I bought myself a new portuguese dumptruck (my portagee friends name for a two wheel barrow) to mix and pour. Snapped a handle on the old one, the axle was bent and the bucket cracked and leaking. Figured it was time, they usually last me about 6 or 7 years with repairs. I tend to be rough on them.

I need to install some freeze proof sill cocks. I'm going to attach them with washer hoses for easy hook up and draining for winter. Nothing better than getting out of my winter wetsuit under a hot shower. I don't bother changing at the beach anymore in winter, getting too old and cold for that shit. I used to enjoy it, now my teeth start chattering after about 30 secs.... :P
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 06:48:04 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2018, 06:48:22 PM »
Sorry for you to be forced to retire by your health.  I've dealt with vertigo issues a number of times, but not on the level you are talking about.  Thoughts and prayers going up for your recovery and being able to enjoy retirement. 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2018, 06:51:25 AM »
fock stones---now youre making me jealous!

i need an outdoor shower in CT--no time to execute as of now

i did shop a bit and saw some really nice cedar kit approaches--all precut, etc--but youre stick-building which is more fun, if one has time......

enjoy---you dog!!

Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2018, 07:46:10 PM »
No worries Zoo. I'll be fine...different but just fine.

EB....Nothing wrong with going with a kit. There are some beautiful ones. I thought about getting one. I just like re-using stuff as much as possible. Saves it from the dump, saves a few bucks and gives me a chance to be a bit creative with it. I built my wife a kitchen island and a new bathroom vanity all from wood I found in the new house. You don't save that much work with a kit honestly though. This is a pretty easy build, hardest part is the posts and you still do that with a kit. I had a couple posts already and I took down 3 sections of cedar fence the previous owner had screening the small pool out back. I took those apart and bought another section. This enclosure is pretty basic...just a fence. I'm going to get a bit funky with the gate, bench, and accessories though.

I'm also going to re-use the old outdoor shower fencing. It matches the fence that is on either side of my shed...which I'm moving later this fall to a new location closer to the house. I'm using the fence to enclose the space behind the shed. Going to have a compost pile there for the new garden I'm building. I'm also adding a lean to addition to the back of the shed to put my rototiller under. I've always had a vegetable garden and there isn't one here so I'm putting in a few raised beds. I'm going to have fun landscaping the yard. It's got good bones but has been neglected for a long time. It's something I can still do well, I like the physical aspect too. I feel good when I hurt a bit after a hard day digging and moving rocks and dirt..... :)

I'm keeping busy..... 8)
Bob

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2018, 05:00:26 AM »

so sorry for your troubles, sa.  a few weeks ago, i had my first two experiences with vertigo.  sat up in bed twice, the world went upside down, and i flopped back down, no choice in the matter, bam.  since then, no repeats, but twas scary, so i kinda know what you're going through.  sucks.

how has it effected you on the water?  ever had it strike while out there?

my muscle wasting disease has gotten the best of me and i now need a cane most of the time, to take some of the weight off my legs and to provide a tripod so i don't keel over so often.  tried supping the other day for the first time in 6 months.  very frustrating.  maybe i'll start a thread about it, try to get some suggestions.

good luck, my friend, and i hope you enjoy the hell out of your new post-retirement existence!

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2018, 09:05:11 AM »
Good to hear from you Linter.

Yeah...it's hit me on the water. Any time I get caught by fog it screws me up. Sometimes even without fog it can get funky. I stay away from others then.

Are you home Eric...Narragansett? If so I'll come down and we can hang. Have you gotten on the water at all. I've often thought that if my head ever gets too much to SUP I'll be sitting down to get out.

Bob

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2018, 09:33:06 AM »
Stop stones! You’re not helping my jealousy. I have a beautiful house that I’d love to spend a year redoing, but really shd keep milking my biz since I can. So the house sits, semi gutted. And I have control-freak issues with just hiring a GC and hoping shit is going right, and I’m not being ripped off, while living/working/pinned down with family issues a 3 hour drive away. And then I see you, with time and energy, knocking shit out with your fine new home......when I finally get going,I will certainly tap you hard for info—might even be some sorta consulting possibility.

Linter. Jeeze Louise. I had enjoyed your Zonisms and stalked your writing elsewhere a bit, and occasionally wondered where the hell you’d gone. Well, seems you’ve been dealing with some shit. Sorry. Hang in there, and yeah, git you some zone..
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2018, 08:49:12 PM »
From the sounds of your gig I think I'd milk it as long as I felt like it. Just remember that the most valuable thing we have at this point in our lives is time...and it sounds like you have the $$$'s well covered so don't wait too long.....:)  The reason I wasn't happy with this is because I enjoyed my job but I am most definitely enjoying the time it's made available. I'd enjoy it more if my wife was also retired but we'll have to wait awhile for that.

LOL...thanks but I'm just a hack. I know what you mean about control issues....I have a hard time letting go of the details myself.
Bob

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2018, 09:29:01 AM »
It's a family disease. Even when I know someone is better at doing something than I am, I have a tough time letting go. My justification--"how else am I going to learn?" Well I could learn a little delegation instead of getting to the shop at oh dark thirty so I can finish up the PV frame before I need to give back the scissor lift I borrowed.

Fritz is going to be very cool. Once it's finished I need to think of something I'd actually use it for. Why do I want a MoHo? I don't have the slightest idea.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2018, 11:27:31 AM »
The reason I wasn't happy with this is because I enjoyed my job but I am most definitely enjoying the time it's made available. I'd enjoy it more if my wife was also retired but we'll have to wait awhile for that.
Yes, I enjoyed my job more than I think most might their's, as it was more or less going to hang out, and potentially do some really fun, cool, and sometimes terrifying stuff with some of my best buds...and I was really worried that I'd miss the camaraderie, excitement, and incredibly remarkable things I saw, and did the first time I heard sirens, or saw the engines, trucks, and ambulances screaming down the street. :-\

But even though my curiosity was (is still) piqued when I hear, and see them...I find that I truly don't miss it, and that I so value my free time, and ability to do what I want, when I want, and not have all the aches, pains, and stresses that many of the calls put on my body that seemed to last longer, and longer the older it got (the FD really is a "young man's" sport), that retirement has been one of the best things that's happened to me, and I can't recommend it highly enough to those who are able do it as soon as possible as well. JMHO naturally...YMMV.  8) :)
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2018, 04:31:54 PM »

so sorry for your troubles, sa.  a few weeks ago, i had my first two experiences with vertigo.  sat up in bed twice, the world went upside down, and i flopped back down, no choice in the matter, bam.  since then, no repeats, but twas scary, so i kinda know what you're going through.  sucks.

how has it effected you on the water?  ever had it strike while out there?

I had it happen to me recently on the water. No one was around and I was surfing an outer reef break in Hawaii. I dove under a few good size waves and when I came up the whole world was sideways. Very scary. I climbed on my board with my eyes closed and started paddling for shore. I just bear hugged my board when the white water hit me from behind. Still keeping my eyes closed. After a few minutes I realized one of my ear plugs had popped out, so I pulled the other one out and opened my eyes. Luckily the horizon started level out. I was actually able to stand up and paddle back to the shore with no further issues. It's happened to me in bed as well a bunch of times. There is a technique you'll find on YouTube that shows you how to get the crystals in your inner ear to reset. It has to do with laying on your back in bed with your head hanging off the bed. Then you perform a series of slow rolls from one side to the other. It fixes it just like that. 
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #44 on: September 23, 2018, 06:20:37 PM »
Funny bro...I always wondered what you were doing with a motor home.....I had kind of figured you just got the idea it would be fun to hack one..... :D. You've done some very cool stuff to him though....I'm sure you'll enjoy the trips down the coast. I need to get out there for one... :)

As bad as the vertigo is sometimes SUP is an amazing thing. If the horizon is sharp it can still surprise me what I can do. I can be stumbling on land and still go out and paddle into some messy stuff and not fall. It seems so strange sometimes. I still feel like I need to pinch myself sometimes. The good thing is I'm starting to feel the benefit of lots of water time. I felt comfortable driving on the highway for the 1st time in a month....went apple picking with the family. As part of my new domestic duties my wife mentioned I should make the apple pies and jelly.... :P

I'm actually one of the lucky ones. A lot of folks that have this are simply toast from the get go. The vertigo is the killer for most but the headaches can be bad too, eye problems are also common. The left side of my face slumps some but my eye does close. It didn't for a short while after the surgery but I can close it enough to surf now even if it is a bit weak. I have terrible tinnitus but unless I think about it I don't notice it. It was worse before surgery, it warbled, changed frequency, far more annoying...now it's a single high pitched tone that becomes white noise. I have synkinesis, weird...basically cross wired the nerve for tears and saliva when healing...when I eat something, especially something hot...my left eye starts crying..... :'(…. :o
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 06:22:58 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal