Author Topic: Throwing in the towel  (Read 97961 times)

all~wet

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: Throwing in the towel
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2018, 06:27:04 PM »
"Life is what happens while you are making other plans."  ~John Lennon

And strangely enough sometimes these diversions take ua in a direction we'd never have chosen on our own and..... end up being the very best thing that could have happened. Don't look back, make the best and....... enjoy.

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2018, 07:17:10 PM »
Stoney,

You'll always be one of my SUP heroes. Enjoy that retirement, my friend.
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2018, 07:23:03 PM »
Thanks for the well wishes and kind words all. It does suck but we'll make it work and I'm already enjoying some of the upside. The high tide thread with the gromparenting beach pics from earlier in the week is retirement in action. I've been on the water almost every day the last two weeks. My wife says my tan already looks like I've spent the summer at the beach and she's jealous. I already have a lot of projects in the works and I'm planning more.....may rip out the master bath this winter just because I now have time. And most importantly I've told Creek he can expect more company.…. ;)

Since all this began back in 2004 I always have some level of headache. From a common background pressure that's mostly just annoying to the thankfully rare leave me the fuck alone or I'll rip your face off screaming pain. The headaches I've had beat and continue for the most part to ignore though...they really aren't an issue. It's the damn vertigo and what it does. The vertigo has been 24/7 at some level for almost 15 years...varying from a slight light feeling behind the eyes where it feels like my head is floating a bit high/loose to fall on your face without reason. It is of course the reason I got into SUP to start with.... :P

I thought I had the vertigo beat or had at least minimized it's effects years ago. It's incurable but I had it in a bottle. I guess I fooled myself a bit into thinking it was done with me. I'm not sure why it's gotten bad again other than age but SUP doesn't seem to be having as much of a therapeutic effect as it used to. Or maybe it does and I'd be far worse off without it.... :P . I started having some freakish effects in the last few months from lack of sleep. Try sleeping when the world spins every time you close your eyes...hoping that being able to catch many naps now is going to help so if you see me sleeping at a break you'll understand..... ;D

I'm still dealing with the feelings, tough to let go. I just need to find the new rythym.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 07:26:36 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2018, 11:08:11 PM »
"I'm needing the therapy both physical and mental I get from it."
Trust me, that is easily replaced with other things as soon as you get into them, and the best part is that you won't be burdened with a schedule.
It the schedule end of things that make us burn out no matter what the occupation is.  Eliminate that one portion, and you can concentrate much better, and your end product will improve.
I'm finding that out, it seems like I'm using other parts of my brain once I retired, that have been neglected while being buried with work for years.
I feel healthier now, all the way around, and I liked the job I retired from, a building contractor.
It takes a quiver to do that.

LM

• Site Sponsor
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • KeNalu
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2018, 11:20:43 PM »
I'm sorry to hear your retirement isn't on your terms but I'm confident you'll make the most of it.
Wishing you all the best Bob!

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2018, 05:01:54 PM »
Sorry to hear it to, but mainly because the 'forced' part of it might feel like failure rather than an opportunity, and you couldn't define the note you went out on.

However, your rampant industriousness will likely lead to a variety of second career option (or hobbies) that you will thrive in on your own schedule.

You have been an inspiration to me when I was struggling with the sport and wondering if I would EVER get anything resembling reasonable balance in SUP.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2018, 07:19:12 PM »
I think retirement will be fun for you, but the vertigo?  Have MRI’s, CT’s, ENT’s given you no diagnosis or course of action?  That’s disturbing.  I truly hope that some kind of fix is discovered for you.  In the meantime...I admire your strength...and I appreciate your generosity.

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2018, 05:19:14 AM »
Nothing forced is nice. You are having a rough ride there. I hope you are set for your new deal. At least where you are living seems to be the sort of place that is set up for kicking back and getting wet. Good luck.

jibemeister

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2018, 12:16:39 PM »
A wise man once told me retirement was the best career decision you will ever make.

Good luck.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2018, 08:10:02 AM »
you know why i call you stones?

cuz youve clearly got a big pair--and being shown the door a bit earlier than you might have chosen otherwise will mean nothing to you sooner than you know--and i'd bet youll ultimately appreciate having been nudged

with your stones, your fine family, and with the fact that you got some version of the babcock project gene, you will have full rewarding productive days

i want to say "stay busy and youll forget suboptimal retirement timing, and enjoy a new version of lfe" but then i think "what could be dumber than to say "stay busy" to a babcock"  maybe you should join a fire crew out west?  or create an army of totems?

and for now tho--have fun, and git you in and keep you in water as much as possible!

be well

Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2018, 10:48:03 AM »
Saw your post the other day. Came here last night to post some well wishes your way and  was just coming up with nothing to say other than....I wish you the best and hope all goes well for you.
It sucks it's going down like this but I am sure you will find great things in this next chapter. Your head is set for it to be that way I think. 
Quite the journey we are on at times.....

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2018, 06:21:46 AM »
hope you got some this past weekend, stones--it was nice down here, and cams around you looked decent

which means i hope your head was good--a good thing is that, when conditions and your head line up, you now wont have work throw a wrench in things--and might be, with work minimized, your head's better?? hope so--be well

Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2018, 08:28:36 AM »
Congrats and condolences come in the same grab bag Stoney, and that bag is called "change." Coincidentally, when change comes, your life will find a new equilibrium (which is a rather sucky metaphor for one suffering from vertigo).  I do hope yours is filled with time on the water, worthwhile projects, a clean house, and improving health. I suspect the Babcock genes are like a perpetual motion machine, and you'll be busier than ever.

Our family is going through something similar. I'm the older brother at 55, and my 48 year old motorcycle cop brother had an accident in May that may end up resulting in a medical retirement. He and you are build of similar cedars, and the accident that would have ripped most people in two, just broke 7 of his ribs and stretched his spinal cord a bit... I say this knowing how much pain it caused, more than I could take.  The doctors decide in October if he's capable of a return, or if his days as an officer are over.   He's healing but I doubt he'll ever be the same.  He's been a surfing and stand up partner since we were kids. My hope is that he can still get on the water somehow.

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2018, 10:29:09 AM »
Stoney,  I may be one of the few people here who has experienced this, albeit briefly.  I was alone ...and came this ! far from calling 911.  It was totally paralyzing for the better part of an hour and totally terrorizing.  I'm really sorry anyone (Well, I can think of a few world leaders...) would have to experience it, much less the prolonged agony you must be in.

I'm sure you thought of it, but I'd find some research Neuro at Harvard Medical or the like and ask them if they'd like a puzzle to solve.  Best wishes.

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

Rideordie

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2018, 10:35:01 AM »
Stoney,  No real words of wisdom from me.  I am sure you have tried everything, but I just want to share the story of my uncle, just in case it might help you.  He was suddenly struck with a severe case of vertigo that did not subside.  He was in his early seventies  He said that he could not walk and was continually throwing up.  He tried conventional medicine and nothing helped.  Finally, he came across someone who helped him perform a complex series of physical movements that somehow readjusted his inner ears.  He was immediately cured and has had no relapses.  I don't have the details, but if you want I could find out from him.  Wishing you the best.           
2021 SIC RS 14 x 24.5
Naish Glide 14 (v2)
SIC X-14 SCC  
KeNalu Konihi 95 xTuf(s)
KeNalu Mana 90 100 Flex

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal