Author Topic: Throwing in the towel  (Read 97976 times)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Throwing in the towel
« on: September 01, 2018, 05:01:36 AM »
Retiring....though not in a way I'd prefer. My head has finally gotten the better of me. I've started the process of filing for disability. The last year has been tough and the last 6 months in particular. Vertigo has gotten worse, issues driving sometimes, lack of sleep nightmares of falling (vertigo makes EVERYTHING difficult)...memory issues, the list goes on.... :(

I've had problems with work for a while. Difficulty coordinating and scheduling. I used to manage 5 big projects at once...now I struggle with 1. They've been great, very understanding, adjusting my workload and schedule, type of work.....still wasn't enough unfortunately. Lots of doctors visits lately and my GP told me he thought it was time to call it quits a month back. I've had some freaky memory issues and other weird shit that might be medication related that have brought it all to a head. I spoke to my boss and HR a couple weeks ago and they agreed that it was time.

So it kinda sucks to go out this way but I've started to look at the good side of it. I have spent more time on the water the last couple of weeks. The financial hit is going to suck but it is what it is and at least we'll be OK. I'll focus on working on the house and doing some of my hobbies at a higher level. I plan on doing some additional charity work both for the CCBC and community stuff and the honey-do list will always be long (Suzanne is also celebrating me doing all the laundry, house cleaning, and cooking) so I should keep myself busy.

Retirement sounds good but I didn't want to do it this way. Looking forward to spending more time on the water though.....I'm needing the therapy both physical and mental I get from it.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 05:04:46 AM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

supthecreek

Re: Throwing in the towel
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2018, 05:40:47 AM »
Can't imagine dealing with constant vertigo, that's gotta suck.

It's awesome that corporate was supportive in the Workxit... shows their respect for you.

Your takeover of the house will probably keep Sue working for decades.
I'll be up to check on your domestic skills.  :)

You have a great yard to putter in, and waterfront to explore.
Enjoy the upsides!

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2018, 07:15:35 AM »
Good luck in the next chapter, stoney. Stay wet!
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2018, 08:12:28 AM »
Sorry to see you had to put yourself into forced retirement because of your health. But, this may be a blessing in disguise that you'll eventually realize.

Good luck in whatever comes your way.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

Surfside

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2018, 08:16:22 AM »
So sorry to hear! My lady had that after a bike accident. It was terrible! She found relief after treatments from a balance doctor (not MD) in the Houston Medical Center. If you want the contact info, let me know. Good Luck!

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2018, 08:29:07 AM »
Good luck man. And yes, you will adapt and life will go on. Surround your with friends and great to hear you will get to be of service to others. It’ll keep your head right.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2018, 08:37:59 AM »
Good Luck! Maybe now you could help Bill with his countless shelved projects, that should
probably keep you busy for years ;D
in progress...

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2018, 08:47:27 AM »
Sucks.... but maybe not big time. New chapter, new routine, and probably a new hobby. My brief dealings with vertigo were scary. It hit me once while driving on the freeway, and once in the surf. Those were the times it really scared me. It's an real eye opener of how your mind can play tricks on you in a split second. Getting it bed or sitting around the house isn't as bad, but still sucks. One of my neighbors gets bad migraines and they last for days sometimes. She can't do anything or go anywhere while she has them.
One time I was talking to Pono about my new part time job teaching drafting at a local college and he had mentioned to me that he thought you would make a great instructor. I'd never thought about teaching until one day my friend, who was teaching at this college called me out of the blue and told me about a job opening. I wasn't looking for a job, but it found me. It's been a lot of fun. Pays good, and I'm teaching more classes now.
As for getting out on the water, just prone paddling works to get out on the water. When the vertigo hit me surfing, just being able to close my eyes, lay on my board and paddle was what saved me from something worse.   
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2018, 09:23:43 AM »
Dang, the couple times the vertigo villain hit me was nauseating, can't imagine having it to the point of a forced retirement...ugh.

Sorry to hear that you weren't able to go out on your own terms, but as others have said, it almost sounds like a blessing is disguise, and that you already have some good plans for your new life after retirement, and I'm looking forward to even more of your excellent storytelling, and photojournalism documenting all of the interesting things you have for yourself in the future.

Best wishes, and continued success as you embark on just another new chapter in your life...one w/o really having to meet any deadlines, and when you're in total control of your schedule. Retirement really is better than I ever expected, and I'm sure you'll soon learn that as well once you get into your new routines.

PS. Teaching is a good option, and I think you have a lot to offer the up and coming new generation. On a side note: What a hoot it would be taking a class from TD...guy can talk, has some great knowledge/experience, and a wonderful way of sharing it. Just from your many posts here SA, I think you'd be right up there in that kind of much needed teaching company.  :)
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

WhatsSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2018, 09:44:31 AM »
Sorry to hear Stoney, but agree with some others have said in that it very well could be a blessing in disguise.  The good news is you said you can make ends meet....don't need much more than that.  Maybe generate some extra clams with making and selling a couple of Tiki's (furniture, etc.) this fall/winter.  Other positive is you will soon be able to hit the beach whenever there are waves when your vertigo allows.  It'll work out....time for the next chapter!
Jimmy Lewis B&B Flat nose 10'1"
Sunova Creek 9'4" 
TAVA 11'2"
NSP Element 11'
KeNalu Wiki paddle
Kialoa Insanity paddle
Misc other paddles

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2018, 10:01:03 AM »
Hi Stoney,

It is strange, but losing the ability to do one thing can be the push/shove that it takes to start something new.  At first it is hard not to fight wanting to hold on to the old (hell, a lot of effort went into building up those skills) but the new stuff is where the excitement is and it can be a huge upgrade.  You are a tough nut and, as you know, you have it very good.  I tell myself, there's a lot of people doing a lot more with a lot less - and it is a fact.  Screw the towel.  Happy retirement!

seadart

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2018, 10:54:42 AM »
I hope you find lots of good things in this forced transition. Don't be afraid to reach out to others who have gone through an involuntary retirement.  Make sure you get to tell an understanding doctor and others about your ambivalent feelings.  It's OK to feel bad about losing some of your self identity.  Make new things important in your life.   Go surfing when you can.

lopezwill

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2018, 01:57:31 PM »

Hate hearing this Stoney.  On the upside retirement is wonderful!

I'm hoping for you that in a year from now you are doing something that is very rewarding for you!  Doing something very fulfilling that you couldn't do while working full time.  8)

I think there is a Hawaiian saying something to the effect, "Go down to the beach...get in the water and you will feel better." Seems to work.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2018, 05:27:54 PM »
Congratulations Stoney!

Maybe not exactly to plan, but whose retirement really is?  Most have no plan whatsoever, a few plan but only on the economic aspects, and fewer still have any activities based plans.  You will do well, and with a little luck, and some advancements in treatment, your health will also improve.

I would not be surprised to see a major resurgence in wooden paddles up your way in the very near future. 😁

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2018, 05:44:47 PM »
When I started my research for my book on retirement (read it if you haven't already. It's still in rough form, but it's usable, especially the second section: https://retirement.pressbooks.com/ ) I came across an interesting statistic. The overwhelming majority of American believe they either will never retire or that they will retire later than age 65.  I don't remember the number but 90+ percent sticks in my head.

The average age for retirement is 62.5.

In other words, very few people retire on their expected schedule. So you are not alone. It's common--like bellybuttons. Health reasons and the necessity to act as a caregiver are the two most common reasons.

So buck up, figure out how you're going to handle this, and have a great retirement. If you need coaching, there isn't anyone I've ever heard of who is better at it than me. I don't charge nearly as much for relatives--though I probably should. I have more fun on a random Tuesday that most people do all year.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal