General > Random

Throwing in the towel

<< < (2/60) > >>

surfcowboy:
Good luck man. And yes, you will adapt and life will go on. Surround your with friends and great to hear you will get to be of service to others. It’ll keep your head right.

burchas:
Good Luck! Maybe now you could help Bill with his countless shelved projects, that should
probably keep you busy for years ;D

TallDude:
Sucks.... but maybe not big time. New chapter, new routine, and probably a new hobby. My brief dealings with vertigo were scary. It hit me once while driving on the freeway, and once in the surf. Those were the times it really scared me. It's an real eye opener of how your mind can play tricks on you in a split second. Getting it bed or sitting around the house isn't as bad, but still sucks. One of my neighbors gets bad migraines and they last for days sometimes. She can't do anything or go anywhere while she has them.
One time I was talking to Pono about my new part time job teaching drafting at a local college and he had mentioned to me that he thought you would make a great instructor. I'd never thought about teaching until one day my friend, who was teaching at this college called me out of the blue and told me about a job opening. I wasn't looking for a job, but it found me. It's been a lot of fun. Pays good, and I'm teaching more classes now.
As for getting out on the water, just prone paddling works to get out on the water. When the vertigo hit me surfing, just being able to close my eyes, lay on my board and paddle was what saved me from something worse.   

Califoilia:
Dang, the couple times the vertigo villain hit me was nauseating, can't imagine having it to the point of a forced retirement...ugh.

Sorry to hear that you weren't able to go out on your own terms, but as others have said, it almost sounds like a blessing is disguise, and that you already have some good plans for your new life after retirement, and I'm looking forward to even more of your excellent storytelling, and photojournalism documenting all of the interesting things you have for yourself in the future.

Best wishes, and continued success as you embark on just another new chapter in your life...one w/o really having to meet any deadlines, and when you're in total control of your schedule. Retirement really is better than I ever expected, and I'm sure you'll soon learn that as well once you get into your new routines.

PS. Teaching is a good option, and I think you have a lot to offer the up and coming new generation. On a side note: What a hoot it would be taking a class from TD...guy can talk, has some great knowledge/experience, and a wonderful way of sharing it. Just from your many posts here SA, I think you'd be right up there in that kind of much needed teaching company.  :)

WhatsSUP:
Sorry to hear Stoney, but agree with some others have said in that it very well could be a blessing in disguise.  The good news is you said you can make ends meet....don't need much more than that.  Maybe generate some extra clams with making and selling a couple of Tiki's (furniture, etc.) this fall/winter.  Other positive is you will soon be able to hit the beach whenever there are waves when your vertigo allows.  It'll work out....time for the next chapter!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version