Author Topic: Throwing in the towel  (Read 98014 times)

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Throwing in the towel
« Reply #285 on: May 20, 2020, 09:24:32 AM »
Poplar was probably the best choice. Consistent grain density, cheap, and of course the lovely grain of green:) Not great for staining. We are in the 'house and yard' rejuvenation mode as well. Blisters on the insides of both thumbs. Pig bar and pick just about did me in. Thought I tore a rotator cuff. Surfed two days ago. We have a swell big enough to get me swimming and prone paddling just to get out sometimes. Yesterday I woke up with a sore chest and jaw/neck tightness. Then I remember all that prone paddling, and knew it was the culprit. We are on our 8th or 9th truck load to the dump and we got a ways to go. Don't go to Lowe's or HD on the weekend. It's crazy.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #286 on: May 20, 2020, 07:28:09 PM »
You hit all the high points on the poplar....cheap being the biggest reason.....:)

I've been doing a lot of looking at things like freecycle, craigslist, and FB marketplace for stuff that folks are getting rid of. I have a solid cherry coffee table and two end tables that I'm going to carve. I'm planning on doing the map on the top of the coffee table and doing an epoxy pour with some blue tint. Hopefully it will be nice enough to auction for charity. Lots of free stuff out there and I like repurposing it.....especially when I'm giving it away....:)

Yeah my shoulders have been toast too. Our house is located on Rocky Point/Rocky Hill....very appropriately named. Digging a hole for a each fence post is 15 mins+ of hard digging with rocks that require a long lever to move...I always end up with a hole 4 or 5 times bigger than needed just to get deep enough.
I was at HD this morning....still a 10 min line to check out. I used to go whenever I needed something...5 mins from my house but now I wait until I have a bunch of items to buy.

We have surf coming tomorrow. My wife is off and has agreed to drive so I should finally get out....:)
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: May 20, 2020, 07:32:47 PM »
Surfed two days ago. We have a swell big enough to get me swimming and prone paddling just to get out sometimes. Yesterday I woke up with a sore chest and jaw/neck tightness. Then I remember all that prone paddling, and knew it was the culprit.

The last time I prone surfed I spent two nights sleeping sitting in a recliner. If I laid flat I got instant abdominal cramps.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #288 on: June 29, 2020, 11:07:09 AM »
Not as exciting as playing on it but I was happy to get this done. The gorge at the hood....shit...I should have used that for the title....:). Terrain image map converted to a 3D model.
The new CNC is finally working flawlessly. A little pyrography for the water surface, and I burned the frame. A little danish oil for a finish. On its way to Pono shortly.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 11:09:22 AM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #289 on: June 29, 2020, 11:17:41 AM »
And I got the landscaping all done out front. 3 days of agony in my shoulders from all the concrete, stone dust, pavers and especially moving that granite blab bench from my old house to this one. It was a lot easier to move the 1st time I did it 30 years ago. That slab is actually from the steps to Boston City Hall....:)
Bob

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: June 29, 2020, 06:51:55 PM »
Great work on both. I'm looking forward to the art.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #291 on: June 30, 2020, 04:58:33 AM »
Beautiful all around.  I think you have inspired a patio project :).

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #292 on: July 17, 2020, 01:42:50 PM »
Finally finished this. I'm wondering if I should just leave it as is or put it into a coffee table or something. I'm going to do a few pieces to auction for Christopher's Haven. The CCBC is still on albeit virtual but I doubt we'll raise the usual $$'s.

I still haven't gotten over to this spot in a NE swell yet....I'm picturing a nice A-frame..... 8)
Bob

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #293 on: June 09, 2022, 07:03:51 PM »
Hello Zoners....been awhile.

The towel has been officially recalled.

I just started a small business. Stoneaxe Woodworx... :)

The CNC has opened up all kinds of creativity. I've gotten pretty good with it and it's proven to be the perfect tool for my skill set. I still do some hand carving but I'm loving what the CNC allows me to do.

Easier just to show some of the work than writing. I've auctioned a bunch of stuff for charity prior to this and am planning on donating 10% of sales and continuing to make and auction stuff.

Bob

FRP

• Bob
  • Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: June 09, 2022, 08:15:17 PM »
Beautiful work Bob!

Thanks for posting.

Cheers

Bob
Sunova 8'10" Speeed
Sunova 8’7” Creek
Sunova 9’x30” Revolution
KeNalu Konihi 84 (primary paddle)
Kialoa Pipes II
Werner Nitro Carbon

"The time spent surfing is time that is added to my life" “In the ocean we are all connected”
Anon

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #295 on: June 10, 2022, 12:05:48 AM »
You are very talented Bob. You have definitely found your creative medium and stride. Go with the flow. It really is beautiful work.   
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #296 on: June 10, 2022, 01:45:09 AM »
I love these.  The sand ripple triptych is amazing. 

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #297 on: June 10, 2022, 08:08:58 AM »
jeez Stoney that woodwork is incredible!  Didn't know you were so talented...I see the cribbage board, have you ever made backgammon board?  I need a new one...
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: June 10, 2022, 11:37:52 PM »
What a beautiful collection of work.  It is so nice to find an outlet for your skills and one that you can continue at. Thanks for sharing.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal