Author Topic: How to put a handle on with hot glue?  (Read 6834 times)

oceanAddict

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
How to put a handle on with hot glue?
« on: August 31, 2018, 08:45:16 PM »
Hey there,

I scored a used  Kialoa and wanna set the handle with hot glue. I have a glue gun and bunch of sticks as I use a hot glue a lot when I ship packahes internationally (instead scotch tape). From my experience, melted glue doesn't spread well unless you make it really hot. Is this how you do it? Do you need to pre-heat the shaft or handle or both? How much glue to use: few rings around the handle or few lines along the shaft?

Thank you

Infinity Blackfish, SIC Bullet Air Glide, Sunova Point Break #003, Sunova Soul

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: How to put a handle on with hot glue?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2018, 09:21:25 PM »
I usually pre heat both handle and shaft so when applying the glue I can
Still play with the handle and rotate it inside the shaft few times with up
And down motions. Be generous with the glue.

I also tilt the paddle down ( handle down) so the glue stays where needed.
It’s better to use the high temp amber glue. They tend to stick better.

Lastly, wrap the joint with electric tape or heat shrink tape to seal it.

Good luck.
in progress...

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2018, 09:56:05 AM »
Yes, everything as burchas describes...but I also squeeze a little hot glue down the shaft as well. I've come to do this simply because I've found that oftentimes the handle is such a tight fit into the shaft, that as I'm pushing/twisting it down, it seems that so much of the glue is getting pushed out the top, that I sometimes felt that I was losing more glue than was actually being used to hold things in place (I have had some come loose after multiple sessions previously).

My thought was that by putting some in the shaft, that as I pushed/twisted the handle down, that the end of it would push/spread some of the glue downwards as well, coating the inner side of the shaft instead of having the end of the shaft wiping much of the glue off of the handle. Since I've done this, I haven't had a handle loosen as I did with just applying hot glue to the handle.

Just something else to consider, but maybe it's just a overkill...don't know.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 09:58:51 AM by SanoSlatchSup »
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

oceanAddict

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2018, 10:08:57 AM »
Thank you to both of you. How would you suggest to preheat the shat and the handle? Heat gun is OK? Hot water?

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2018, 10:19:27 AM »
Thank you to both of you. How would you suggest to preheat the shat and the handle? Heat gun is OK? Hot water?

I usually heat everything at once. I have my heat gun mounted firmly on the counter,
I have a flat metal plate that holds a piece of glue in front of it and then I hold the handle
inside the shaft and hold it just behind the metal plate, thus the heat gun heats everything.
I don't use glue gun.

Once everything is hot and the glue is nice and melty, I take out the handle and rotate it over
the plate with the melted glue having it nice evenly coated and put it back in as described above.

When everything is nice and warm, it gives me enough time to get the alignment right.

if you use the glue gun it is just the same without the metal plate, once everything is hot
apply the glue and and continue as described above.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 10:21:46 AM by burchas »
in progress...

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2018, 11:43:40 AM »
How would you suggest to preheat the shat and the handle? Heat gun is OK? Hot water?
With my first few I used (as suggested by PB) just a simple hair dryer with half of the air intake blocked off with masking tape to get it a little hotter. After that, and once I got a better feeling of just how hot I could get the pieces w/o screwing them up, I went to a heat gun just to speed up the process a little.

I simply hold both paddle pieces in one hand, heating them both up simultaneously, and alternately depending on how both are heating or not. Once I get them both up to the temperature I'm looking for (pretty hot to the touch, but still touchable...if that makes any sense), I then set the shaft aside, and hold the handle and glue stick in the same hand while I melt the hot glue onto the handle (I like burchas' metal plate holding the glue idea), and when I have the handle coated with as much glue as I want, I then go, and melt some into the already hot shaft...having to dab the melt end into the shaft somewhat.

Once I have all the glue on the pieces that I'm happy with...I then go back to both pieces in one hand, reheat with the heat gun (rotating the pieces if need be so glue flows even to all surfaces), and then when I see the glue all shiny, and melted...shut off the gun, set it on the workbench carefully (safety first  ;) :) ), and then push, and twist the handle into place.

Once the handle is into the depth I want, my last step is to set the paddle down on the level garage floor, and use that to make any last second alignment adjustments, and then let it cool there which then completes the process. The excess glue that gets pushed out peels off real easily, and then I throw I few wraps of electrical tape around the joint to seal everything, and cover any little leftover glue if there's any.

Good luck, it really is pretty easy. But the real question is, how do you plan on getting the epoxied handle out of the shaft (I'm assuming it has one in it being a "used" paddle)? I only ask because I've had luck using the same heat method to get a couple out...but I also melted a friend's QB P40 EVA Wrapped handle with too much heat and twisting that made it unusable. Fortunately it was just a handle replacement, and not a paddle shortening when we might have been trying to reuse the same handle.  :o

Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

oceanAddict

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2018, 01:10:30 PM »
 Thank you guys again, that's pretty much all info I could get and then some more. Now I just have to prepare a workbench and build a garage with leveled floor :D , j/k..  basement floor should be good enough I hope. Luckily I have two heat guns so I have to just create a melting plate.

And to answer your question, Sano, the handle has never been epoxied in. The seller claimed it was new never used, but it's clearly not in brand new condition. While he was trying to present it as "thinning out my quiver sale" he was clearly not a paddler, or at least not a paddler who would want Kialoa Methane II.

I will report back when I'm done :)  too bad I cannot go do it right now lol, family duties...

supthecreek

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2018, 03:35:07 AM »
One more bit of important info when using a heat gun:

Overheating carbon will make it more brittle.

The glue needs to melt
Carbon only warm enough to aid sliding in place and a few seconds for alignment.
Warm gently, keep rotating.

Did anyone mention alignment yet?
I keep a nice space of open floor next to me
After insertion of handle and 1/4 twist to correct position:
I lay the paddle, so the bottom of the blade is on the floor, then align the handle with a gentle push onto the floor.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2018, 04:38:14 AM »
In the long run, 5 min epoxy might be a better option on a Kialoa T handle.

oceanAddict

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2018, 10:12:27 AM »
In the long run, 5 min epoxy might be a better option on a Kialoa T handle.

I might go this road later in the game. This is going to be my first fixed length paddle and I'm not ready to commit to this length 100%. Just recently I stopped constantly adjust my paddle length as I was surfing a wave with a shorter paddle and was extending it every time after. I also followed the recommendations printed on the paddle and when I moved to another board I realized I like a paddle that is longer than was suggested.

Billekrub

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2018, 07:00:46 PM »
For me, the tight "T" insert tolerance requires very little glue gun glue, just a very small dab near the top of the shaft.  Never had it come loose.  Reduces the heat needed to make a change.

Skate

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2018, 09:05:18 AM »
What hot glue are you using??

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2018, 09:03:28 AM »
epoxy? why? hot glue works. why would you want to marry a paddle length? and if you break the shaft,as i have a few, you can easily use the blade and handle on the new shaft---and when selling, buyer can have the option to cut shorter--(i am 6'2", so good chance my buyer wont want paddle longer than i have cut to already)

got a brand new zre paddle that i simply dont like, compared to my mana--it's been epoxied

gotta go back and read thread on how to disassemble--otherwise it'll need to be sold as fixed length

the zre's a nice carbon/kevlar paddle, oval shaft, very stiff (for me, used to xtuf soft), loved by many, just not me

some day i will get it together to blow it out in classifieds

i can see no good reason to not use hot glue

not!
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2018, 12:54:28 PM »
EB, some handles just don't work well with hot glue (Kialoa T for instance).  Good quality 5 min epoxy comes appart with just a little more heat than glue so not a bad option.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2018, 01:57:34 PM »
thx bean--i will try that when i try to pull apart my zre--any issues with epoxy remaining on handle blade shaft after separation--so they can be cleanly attached again?

with hot glue i am able to get the parts very clean prior to reinsertion

bring on the sex jokes!
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal