Author Topic: Turning for incoming wave  (Read 13639 times)

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Turning for incoming wave
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2018, 03:30:25 PM »
I usually step back onto the tail, fall in the water, and turn the board around by hand before climbing back on.  Presto! :o

This works every time!  You can't say that about all those other fancy techniques.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2018, 10:43:48 AM »
SA--same prob me--that's why i switch stance when i want to paddle on my weak side--ive gotten it so i will do it on all but biggest waves

and it's fun to catch a left in switch stance (goofy in my case--puts me frontside on a left), stay with it a while, then surprise people by switching back to reg stance (backside) and, hopefully, then ripping a turn or two

try it youll like it--it'll feel weird the first few times, but works nicely after a bit
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

FRP

• Bob
  • Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2018, 12:19:57 PM »
SA--same prob me--that's why i switch stance when i want to paddle on my weak side--ive gotten it so i will do it on all but biggest waves

and it's fun to catch a left in switch stance (goofy in my case--puts me frontside on a left), stay with it a while, then surprise people by switching back to reg stance (backside) and, hopefully, then ripping a turn or two

try it youll like it--it'll feel weird the first few times, but works nicely after a bit

Thanks Eastbound

Great Idea! Will try this next time out. I was able to catch a couple of waves paddling on the heal side today when catching a wave breaking left. It set my paddle up on the correct side for back side ride. I like the idea however of starting out
Goofy foot at the same time.

Cheers

Bob
Sunova 8'10" Speeed
Sunova 8’7” Creek
Sunova 9’x30” Revolution
KeNalu Konihi 84 (primary paddle)
Kialoa Pipes II
Werner Nitro Carbon

"The time spent surfing is time that is added to my life" “In the ocean we are all connected”
Anon

SUP Leave

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2018, 04:05:46 PM »
I take off backside or frontside, I prefer frontside because I can see the wave, but if I am already angled toward the backside I go with it.

The only thing I didn't see covered in this thread is learning how to paddle in a straight line from one side only. Learning this helps a lot. I used to always get to where I was just catching a wave, and had to switch hands to stay straight and would drop off the back. Once I learned to paddle straight from one side only that was cured and timing was less of an issue.

This helps a lot if you turn too early, and want to keep your angle. I.e. you are turning by paddling on your toe side, and you have that sweet angle to make the drop for a right hander, but haven't caught the wave. Reach out and make short strokes at like a 30 degree angle (if your board from tail to nose was south to north- paddle at 30 degrees NNE). This angled stroke moves you ahead and keeps you from over turning. I'm pretty sure its called a bow-draw stroke. There are lots of Youtubes about it.

That kind of stroke is easy in surf stance, frontside. Backside it is harder if you are in surf stance.

Make paddleboarding great again!

fatfish

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2018, 08:30:03 AM »
Regarding paddling straight, there is a Blue Planet Video earlier in this thread that shows exactly what you are describing.  I started to do that too and helped tremendously.

jpeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2018, 04:55:11 AM »
I don't turn around (180 degrees) to catch a wave. I have my board parallel to the oncoming swell, not facing it. When I see the wave I want coming I take 2 or 3 sweep strokes to time a 90 degree (not 180 like if you were facing out) turn so that I am now in position to take off just as the wave reaches me.

This is spot on advice.  Pivot turns are fun and useful,  but not always needed.  Especially when it's choppy or you are learning.   Another thing I would add is that the full 90 degree turn is not needed.  As you paddle stroke three times to catch a wave, the board is going to continue to turn.  So really start your wave catch 30 degrees short of the 90.
JP

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2018, 05:55:58 AM »

I do this same thing about 50% of the time eastie- Especially BC im goofy and in Nj where I am its all rights.  If I really have to dig on a paddle i end up flopping stances.  Ive blown it a few fimes and even done some solid regular foot bottom turns.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2018, 06:19:29 AM »
Also, keep in mind that the further away from your board you place your paddle blade, the greater effect on the turn.

To get a good feel for this and the pivot turn, try sitting on the tail of your board.  Let the nose come up a few inches and take a wide stroke, you will be spinning effortlessly.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2018, 01:22:32 PM »
ha jersey!--havent really explored bottom turns goofy (switch side) but sometimes i find myself in the pocket goofy and stay with it for a bit, then switch and do some turns--but i cant get back anywhere near the stomp on switch side--i have good vids of CR, where this can be seen-but havent taken the time to learn how to post--and on those big waves i switch to reg foot immediately as the drop begins--no effing around--two days i was there it was doh and, after very tough paddleouts, it was clear i did not have another in me--surfed carefully as getting caught inside meant session over! massive fun

Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"

Green Water Sports

• Site Sponsor
  • Peahi Status
  • https://greenwatersports.com
    • View Profile
    • Green Water Sports - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more
« Reply #39 on: July 31, 2018, 06:59:40 AM »
Julian
https://greenwatersports.com
Green Water Sports LLC - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more. Call us on 1-888-252-4983
Red Paddle Co, Starboard, SIC Maui, Tahe, Naish, Fanatic, Accent Paddles, Onyx, FCS, Vamo

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 31, 2018, 08:17:42 AM »
90 percent of turning is all in your head. Or maybe all of turning is 90 percent in your head. Either way, if you're having trouble turning into a wave, calm down. That's it.

If you weren't in a wave you could do it perfectly. But when your noggin is yelling "the wave is coming the wave is coming, turn, turn!!!" you just can't do it well. Time in the water solves the problem, but only because it chills you out some. If you want to improve quicker, take your time, breathe, do what you need to do. I have more trouble with head high waves than double OH, because I know I need to calm down for bigger stuff, or else.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

outcast

• Peahi Status
  • Ambassador for Nihilistic Surf
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 31, 2018, 08:31:29 AM »
Adding my occasional .

It's a sublety, but really helps on a pivot:

Sink the tail deep, and use the rebound floatation to drive the board forward

There are alot of good proners who push their short boards backwards and deep, just prior to takeoff....the bouyancy pushback pops them up for a perfect one or two stroke takeoff.

So if you can get a tight pivot tun by sinking the tail....you can time a power paddle stroke to complete rotation just when that tail tail will want to lift up/out.
It means that you have to be willing to sink the tail deep enough that you will fall if you dont power stroke, but per some of the other posts...lake practice is great for that
Too many for the rack
Some in the shack
Some under decks
Some have straps

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 31, 2018, 11:22:20 AM »
good tip and i will try, and in fact used to do that very thing back in my prone days
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"

supsean

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2018, 12:39:55 PM »

Sink the tail deep, and use the rebound floatation to drive the board forward

There are alot of good proners who push their short boards backwards and deep, just prior to takeoff....the bouyancy pushback pops them up for a perfect one or two stroke takeoff.

So if you can get a tight pivot tun by sinking the tail....you can time a power paddle stroke to complete rotation just when that tail tail will want to lift up/out.
It means that you have to be willing to sink the tail deep enough that you will fall if you dont power stroke, but per some of the other posts...lake practice is great for that

helped a lot!!
Fanatic Allwave 8'9"
Sunova Steeze 8'10"
Kenalu Ho'oloa

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal