Author Topic: SIC boards  (Read 7253 times)

Sea Daze

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
SIC boards
« on: August 30, 2018, 05:18:27 AM »
I was going to settle on a 11'6" BIC performance but when I went to REI the board had dents and the quality did not live up to what I expected.  Thus, I am in the market for an all around board that would do well in Surf but would be mainly used in lakes.   I found SIC boards but could not find much on the technology used.  The GC are what I would normally expect but the ST sounds similar to BIC in that it is wrapped in plastic.  Can someone confirm  and provide their feedback on the board if they have one.   Thanks
11'6" Blackfin XL
11' SIC Feelgood

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
Re: SIC boards
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2018, 06:28:47 AM »
SIC was bought by BIC recently, so SIC is now selling rewrapped some BIC boards. I think that's their Sage line of boards, although they're not officially out yet.

How was a new board dented? Was this a used board? Maybe the price is worth it?
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

addapost

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2018, 02:54:03 PM »
I was going to settle on a 11'6" BIC performance but when I went to REI the board had dents and the quality did not live up to what I expected.  Thus, I am in the market for an all around board that would do well in Surf but would be mainly used in lakes.   I found SIC boards but could not find much on the technology used.  The GC are what I would normally expect but the ST sounds similar to BIC in that it is wrapped in plastic.  Can someone confirm  and provide their feedback on the board if they have one.   Thanks
Yes the SIC ST is the exact same thing as the BIC Tough Tech. It is a plastic shell around the board. As Ichy said above, BIC owns SIC and they are in the process of morphing together as one. In my opinion the ST/TT construction is really not the way to go for your own personal board. They are heavy, they have a hideous seam all the way around the entire board, they DO (often in my experience) leak, the plastic cover is essentially impossible to repair in any way that looks halfway decent. Water infiltration is almost impossible to get rid of once they leak. Since they are entry level, there is nothing exceptional about the shape- it will not "do well in surf." They are really marketed for entry level and rental programs rather than personal use. I think you're better off looking at a normal board.
Bunch of old shit

Sea Daze

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2018, 11:37:50 AM »
SIC was bought by BIC recently, so SIC is now selling rewrapped some BIC boards. I think that's their Sage line of boards, although they're not officially out yet.

How was a new board dented? Was this a used board? Maybe the price is worth it?

REI had it shipped in to the local store but I am not sure if it was from the manufacture or from their warehouse.  Regardless when they brought it out it had a good size dent under the pad because it was showing through the pad.  The bottom had two thumb size dents, the label BIC Perfom etc on the deck was cracked and messed up looked like at manufacture, the seam had a spot that looked to me like a gap.  It was supposed to me new never used or displayed.  So I turned it down.    I found a SIC Maui Agent that would work for me and it is in the Glass Composite.  Just am shy after seeing the BIC and then finding online BIC and SIC are together.   Hard to find a good all around in non inflatable for a 240 lb guy.  Usually the volume is below 200 and I am just not sure how that will do for my purpose of mostly lake use and occasional surf.   Thanks for the reply
11'6" Blackfin XL
11' SIC Feelgood

Sea Daze

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2018, 11:40:35 AM »
Yes the SIC ST is the exact same thing as the BIC Tough Tech. It is a plastic shell around the board. As Ichy said above, BIC owns SIC and they are in the process of morphing together as one. In my opinion the ST/TT construction is really not the way to go for your own personal board. They are heavy, they have a hideous seam all the way around the entire board, they DO (often in my experience) leak, the plastic cover is essentially impossible to repair in any way that looks halfway decent. Water infiltration is almost impossible to get rid of once they leak. Since they are entry level, there is nothing exceptional about the shape- it will not "do well in surf." They are really marketed for entry level and rental programs rather than personal use. I think you're better off looking at a normal board.

Thanks, I finally found the catalogue and saw it was the same as a BIC.  The SIC Agent is glass but again, still would rather see than order online or get input from other owners.   Thanks
11'6" Blackfin XL
11' SIC Feelgood

addapost

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2018, 10:39:57 PM »
The Agents are nice boards. It comes in something like 6 different sizes but even the smallest will be plenty big enough for your weight (240 is not that big) anything over 150 liters is more than enough volume to float you fine. Stability is a different question and is based more on the board's width, volume distribution, and shape. The Agent series is a designed to be beginner friendly (stable) but still provide some fun. Any sized Agent would work for what you are looking for.
Bunch of old shit

Sea Daze

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2018, 12:38:35 AM »
The Agents are nice boards. It comes in something like 6 different sizes but even the smallest will be plenty big enough for your weight (240 is not that big) anything over 150 liters is more than enough volume to float you fine. Stability is a different question and is based more on the board's width, volume distribution, and shape. The Agent series is a designed to be beginner friendly (stable) but still provide some fun. Any sized Agent would work for what you are looking for.

I ordered the SIC Feelgood 11.  Thanks for the information on the volume.  I was basing it off something I read that said to multiply .8 to 1 by your weight but it did not say to covert first to Kg to get the liters.   Your comment made do some searches and I discover I was doing it wrong.   Now if I could discover my scale is displaying a higher number, it would be a great week.
11'6" Blackfin XL
11' SIC Feelgood

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2018, 01:50:25 AM »
You can’t tell much about a board from its volume. So don’t worry. Just get out there and enjoy it. Next time, demo the board before purchase, if at all possible. It really is the only way to know what is right for you and your conditions.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2018, 08:31:51 AM »
Wow, taking the SIC name and wrapping it onto crap boards--that has to be the dumbest thing to do with a performance brand ever. I joked that they bought marketing rights because it was inexpensive to change the B to an S. Maybe it's not a joke.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2018, 10:03:16 AM »

I ordered the SIC Feelgood 11.  Thanks for the information on the volume.  I was basing it off something I read that said to multiply .8 to 1 by your weight but it did not say to covert first to Kg to get the liters.   Your comment made do some searches and I discover I was doing it wrong.   Now if I could discover my scale is displaying a higher number, it would be a great week.
I was just playing with some of the "pounds (lbs)" to volume numbers of the boards I've ridden, and found that ~ .55 seems to be a very doable number for most surf type boards.

I've been as heavy as 217, and paddled 109 liter boards (.50) with some work (a lot of bracing), and found that 119 liters (.55) was just a lot easier, and much less concentration intensive to stay on top of. When I'm at 197, I've been able to paddle 102 liters (.52) fairly comfortably, but then the 119 liters (.60) was almost like a dance floor to stand on out there.

However, after saying that, I agree 100% with the statements that volume (regardless of how high you go) does not equal stability, and that stability is determined more on the size, shape, and displacement of the foam within those measurements of the board. Example: My 14'x26"x??" at 285 liters, is far less stable than my Laird/Pearson Arrow at 9'6"x28.75"x4" at ~120-125 liters in the same conditions...simply because they're specifically designed for two different purposes (even though I have used them interchangeably for both from time to time just for the sport of it :) ).

In fact, with my surf shapes, I've come to find that I'd rather have less volume than more, as I find it more stable to have more board in or under the water than it is to have more of it above it to bob around like a cork on top of it. Yes, all just personal preference, but as A10 suggested...in the future, try demoing various board shapes, and volumes when you get the chance, and I think you might be surprised at just how little volume you really need in relation to whatever weight you are at the time.

The SIC Feelgood looks like a nice all-around board for what you plan on doing with it lake, and surf related that I think you'll be very happy with. It's all about having fun, and being confident in your equipment, and it sounds like you made the right choice for yourself with everything you've written so far. Have fun, and let us know how it goes.
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2018, 10:40:31 AM »
...it was inexpensive to change the B to an S

Hopefully they won't keep both and turned it into BS. Could prove quite expensive in the long run
in progress...

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2018, 01:06:05 PM »
Wow, taking the SIC name and wrapping it onto crap boards--that has to be the dumbest thing to do with a performance brand ever. I joked that they bought marketing rights because it was inexpensive to change the B to an S. Maybe it's not a joke.
Yep, dumb dumb dumb, and very bad business. There is (or was) value in that brand.

addapost

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2018, 06:03:47 PM »
Yep, dumb dumb dumb, and very bad business. There is (or was) value in that brand.
Dumb not dumb. The recreational market is what keeping SUP alive right now. In the grand scheme of things race, DW, and surf are little blips on the spreadsheet. Both companies have done well since the purchase.
Bunch of old shit

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2018, 07:02:57 PM »
I can't speak about the west coast, but Bic is seriously dominant on the east. They basically have a huge chunk of the beginner board market. I spoke to a major retailer in the Adirondack region who explained it. Bic builds tough boards at a good price point, but they also have multiple size boards for pretty much any beginner. These are pretty low-end for StandupZone, but they sell really well. They also take a beating, so their tough-tec boards are good rentals.

Their lower-end surf models are based on good shapes. Nothing exciting, but competent and durable. I know they're basically rebranding the same shapes with OxBow and now SIC. Both brands have a version of the Bic Wing and the surf models.
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2018, 11:55:36 PM »
Well it’s certainly true that people don’t want the word BIC on their board because for most of the population this is synonymous with cheap biros not watersports. BIC means “cheap crap”.

So changing to SIC would be a good move for the BIC brand.

But it will destroy the SIC brand in the process. So why not do a Toyota/Lexus type arrangement? Then you’ve got it all covered. You buy a BIC you know what you are getting - cheap, durable, disposable. You buy a SIC you know you are getting top end. But then you don’t want to slap SIC on your cheap plastic models, which is what they seem to be doing?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal