Author Topic: It’s that time of year 2019 sup boards  (Read 27031 times)

BrentP

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email

supnorte

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • SUP Norte
    • Email
Re: It’s that time of year 2019 sup boards
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2019, 04:09:47 AM »

rbgar

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2019, 08:31:38 AM »
personally I'm 1000% stoked to get my hands on the new Sunova 12' Point Break, she's going to be one fine ride!

exiled

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2019, 04:17:25 AM »

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2019, 09:38:39 AM »
Monkey see monkey do! Trying to get one as well. Container lost at Sea!

Just a joke. The 8'5" at 30.5" wide will actually work for Wounded Knee!
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

exiled

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2019, 09:58:16 AM »
Post some photos when you get them. I really want to see some good shots off those step rails.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2019, 01:28:22 PM »
contrarian as ever, i waved in a starby pro 8'10"--second sesh says it's awesome on the wave--very turned up blunt nose plows a bit when paddling in, but now that i know to expect it, i am good---lasted 3 hrs on the initially tippy 29" width yesterday---it turns/pumps nice-once i got it going and got back on the pad--still not remotely worth the extra million bux vs my creek! despite the liftsup--clearly the creek paddles in easier--we shall see with the rest--cant wait for a good sesh in RI with the man himself, so he can board swap them---of course he's indisposed at the moment..........hopefully producing more video!

Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

exiled

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2019, 09:08:09 PM »
contrarian as ever, i waved in a starby pro 8'10"--second sesh says it's awesome on the wave--very turned up blunt nose plows a bit when paddling in, but now that i know to expect it, i am good---lasted 3 hrs on the initially tippy 29" width yesterday---it turns/pumps nice-once i got it going and got back on the pad--still not remotely worth the extra million bux vs my creek! despite the liftsup--clearly the creek paddles in easier--we shall see with the rest--cant wait for a good sesh in RI with the man himself, so he can board swap them---of course he's indisposed at the moment..........hopefully producing more video!

How do you like the creek compared to your barra? I'm debating all three of those boards.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2019, 04:30:00 AM »
creek has proven a better go to for me--given conditions i surf--when i can choose between the barra and the creek, i usually choose the creek--if it's pretty perfect, i ride the barra, and it rips--but it gets way less water time than the creek--if the barra were my only board it would be a solid go to--but vs the creek, in context of my conditions, i usually choose the creek

honestly tho, if i broke the creek and the starby pro, i might find i never want to return from a forced period riding the barra, in all conditions

all great boards---and really, given my abilities, and the infrequent variable surf by me--i am not the guy to expound on the subtle difference and surf effects with these boards---if youre near me,  meet me, look at and surf em---i am a one man demo shop!

actually made a frontside lipslide thurs on the starby--a signature move from my skating days (40 odd years ago!)--when the thrusters let go i thought was done--but i jammed the paddle behind me, straightened out and surfed on--unfortunately waves didnt allow a second attempt---next time

all equal id likely surf the starby the most--since it cost so much! not surfin it would be like keeping a million bux under the mattress, uninvested!

i have the dough, and i needed some serious retail/gear therapy, so i pulled the trigger, but the price of starby's new carbon flax boards is pretty laughable--rides nice so far tho
« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 04:40:09 AM by eastbound »
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2019, 04:58:37 AM »
A Barra/Phantom/Blurr V2 Comparison would be amazing.

Love to see a head on head comparison of the stepped designs out there. 

Eastie- I dont get out to Long Beach much anymore but may need to make the drive to borrow that 8'4 Barra!

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2019, 10:04:26 AM »
i go to monmo when wind is west, too

hit me next time youve time and there's a swell either way

figures potential to swap some nice new stix would draw you out of hiding--or child-rearing, or maybe even teen-rearing mixed with some honey-doing at this point!

happens

« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 10:08:28 AM by eastbound »
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"

exiled

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2019, 10:10:49 AM »
Interesting! Would you say the preference is mostly about stability? Is your Barra the same volume as your Creek?

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2019, 11:03:19 AM »
Eastie, we have had conversations about weight and how important it is.

Any chance you could post the Starby and Sunova weights?

Once I got on lighter boards, I had a huge sell off last year..
« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 11:07:12 AM by mrbig »
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2019, 11:52:20 AM »
ex: barra shorter skinnier 10 fewer liters than the creek--performance difference as would be expected
i love all three of these boards--starby's new, so im dialing it---creek's been an awesome go to---and barra rips, but will exhaust me more quickly in chop, which is a reality often by me--

biggie! cruxxy of you!

for a million dollars i lost several pounds going from the creek to the starby pro carbon hemp cbd flax greenpeace model!

the barra is lightest of all, and yeah, light is right

but my creek has been excellent go to for me, with my intermediate abilities (def bumped me up a level or two), on my local waves---and it has put up with serious abuse and remains dry and solid---where my barra and the starby have had little comparable water time--so might be the weight brings better durability?

two sessions in on the starby, i am liking it much--better like it, given stoopid cost

you mean a weight-watchers blowout!
« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 11:54:57 AM by eastbound »
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal