Author Topic: Why I still love SUP  (Read 13441 times)

Bulky

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Why I still love SUP
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2018, 12:40:08 PM »
id put the plb on your person, bulky, in case of leash break and board separation--and i know the water looks calm, but youre playing for a weather turn or something completely extreme random and non-ordinary

kinda like with avalanche beacons--always harnessed to body, never in pocket--in case clothes get ripped off in transit, which happens

Good point.  Actually, I've thought about that for my daily circumstance and I'm comfortable with the PLB on the board, cellphone strapped to my body.  I might rethink it if I was regularly in leash-breaking conditions or in a place where weather turned quickly, but if there's the potential of that, I probably won't be on the water.
Santa Barbara, CA

SIC RS 14x24.5
Infinity Blackfish 14'
Naish Glide 14' (2012)
SupSports Hammer 8'11
Starboard WidePoint 10'5
Ke Nalu Mana, Konihi, Maliko

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2018, 01:04:45 PM »
This discussion conjures up DJ's harrowing story (cautionary tale) of being seperated from his board and left clinging to a nav buoy on a downwinder down in OZ.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2018, 07:34:22 AM »
i will never forget that story, bean---very close call for DJ
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

FRP

• Bob
  • Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2018, 11:50:00 AM »
Why I still Love SUP

Being in and on the ocean......a return to my ancestral home. Something primal about surfing. SUP has given me a second life that I will carry into retirement. Every session I learn something and little by little diving deeper and deeper into surfing. The call of the tide is strong. Long may we ride!

Bob
Sunova 8'10" Speeed
Sunova 8’7” Creek
Sunova 9’x30” Revolution
KeNalu Konihi 84 (primary paddle)
Kialoa Pipes II
Werner Nitro Carbon

"The time spent surfing is time that is added to my life" “In the ocean we are all connected”
Anon

FRP

• Bob
  • Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2018, 06:19:02 PM »
Why I still Love SUP

Being in and on the ocean......a return to my ancestral home. Something primal about surfing. SUP has given me a second life that I will carry into retirement. Every session I learn something and little by little diving deeper and deeper into surfing. The call of the tide is strong. Long may we ride!

Bob

I came upon this quote from an American Anthropologist “......we must become outdoor wave researchers. It means being wet, salty, cold — and confused.”
William Bascom. Describes how I often feel as a surfer.

Bob
Sunova 8'10" Speeed
Sunova 8’7” Creek
Sunova 9’x30” Revolution
Kialoa Pipes II
Werner Nitro Carbon

"The time spent surfing is time that is added to my life" “In the ocean we are all connected”
Anon

SaMoSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2019, 07:23:20 PM »
https://youtu.be/YZb0_XcpKj8

Picked up a new/used Naish Maliko 14x24 and I'm loving SUP even more than last year when I started this post. I love surfing this board and although I have not raced much in the last couple years, I'm inspired to enter a couple maybe next year.

The video says it all. We were just going on a distance paddle on a nice day. Then to our surprise, we found some dolphins and they decided to play with us. We also found some good shoulder high sets at a surf break that doesn't normally work at higher tides. Ended up paddling ten miles that day.

Best thing about the Maliko is that I can cover some distance quickly, chase some dolphins, and explore surf breaks.

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2019, 08:02:46 PM »
Nice work on the vid SaMoSUP. That board looks extra sweet and your friend is sure fit! Dolphin are such joyful creatures.
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2019, 10:21:06 PM »
Nice SaMo... I just paddled some distance in the ocean by myself the other day on my 14'. Even though there was a little south wind bump, it felt good to be out there and clear my head. That's what originally hooked me on SUP. On my way in I caught a few waves at DoHo as well. Thanks for sharing.

And playing with dolphins is just icing on the cake.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

FRP

• Bob
  • Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2019, 02:37:08 AM »
OMG Samo!

That is one of the best SUP clips I have watched. How could you not love SUP after watching it.

Thanks for Posting

Bob
Sunova 8'10" Speeed
Sunova 8’7” Creek
Sunova 9’x30” Revolution
Kialoa Pipes II
Werner Nitro Carbon

Anon

supthecreek

« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2019, 04:02:57 AM »
SaMo.... life is good indeed, well chased!

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2019, 06:59:17 AM »
Like - Winger, AX, Ricky, SMP...FRP...  There seems no 'bad time' on a SUP.  I can get kicked around in the ocean ...then, gunkhole or really dig-in Bayside and leave refreshed rather than exhausted.  This sport has plenty of smile options.

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2019, 07:38:44 AM »
i have surpassed my age old pronesurf skils, and continue to improve--that's huge for me at 61 in a couple weeks--drives me so much more than trying to do sport at levels not laughably worse than when i was younger

and it puts me in the ocean in all sorts of beautiful places in all seasons weather conditions etc

sup continues to be redeeming for me as i age.....

foils?  kiting?  dying to engage but fear the time required to learn basics is more than i have left!!

so i still love sup

and ima love humberto when he visits shortly!
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

SouthCounty

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2019, 05:32:44 PM »
great video SaMoSup
14' x 27" Infinity blackfish