Author Topic: Why I still love SUP  (Read 13445 times)

SaMoSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Why I still love SUP
« on: August 28, 2018, 09:09:15 AM »
When there's no swell you can still do this...

Went on an 8 mile paddle around Malibu looking for the baby whale that surfaced near third point on Saturday. No dice on Sunday but I've never seen the water around here so clean and warm. It was Hawaii like. Diving around was fun. Even got to surf some small waves at Surfrider on the 14' raceboard there was no crowd. Enjoy the tour...

https://youtu.be/Iog-1J4KOrE

SouthCounty

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Why I still love SUP
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2018, 09:34:42 AM »
Very Kewel, glad to see you still have the stoke, Im fairly new to the sport and can't wait for the times I get on the water down here in Dana Point
14' x 27" Infinity blackfish
10'4 Infinity wide aquatic
14 x 24.5 Infinity blackfish dugout

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2018, 11:14:59 AM »
Did the same thing this morning. Pretty much zero surf. Took my 14' out at SanO and paddled north about 3 miles. Even Trestles was ankle slappers. I still love SUP too. 
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

supthecreek

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2018, 11:58:47 AM »
Looks like an awesome day Samo... and nice company  :)

Yup... 54 years into surfing and 7 into SUP..... every day gets better!

Dinky swell with the crew, then solo paddle afternoon.... same board.

SUP = a very cool addiction!

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2018, 12:08:50 PM »
I've only been supping two years and I enjoy every moment of it.

Since the month of September is right around the corner, when the first real "cool" front moves through our area, which will lower the night time temperature from 80 degrees to 70 degrees and also cut the high humidity and dewpoint levels, I'm going to take my 11'1" OW down to our largest subdivision's lake for a leisurely one hour flat water paddle on a full moon night.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2018, 02:45:53 PM »
sup = flat, chop, surf & wind its all good  ;D

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2018, 05:02:37 AM »
A board, paddle, leash, PFD.....go anywhere.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2018, 05:14:43 AM »
i love sup bc it allows me to continue to surf

i can still prone surf softer waves, but bad hip makes it more of a stumbleup than a popup

sup lets me surf any and all waves i might have proned in the past--and i can catch scraps all day that id never be able to chase down prone--so wave count is way better too

but for me aint no surf without sup

now i can have a hip replacement, but there's no guarantee ill be able to pop up following that, and even were i able, id keep supping--based on wave count and generally much superior mobility in the water

and love the gear simplicity stones hits on--goto board, leash, paddle waves

of recent the problem hasnt been supping, it's been the dearth of waves provided by mr weather this august (zero major storms)--might be there's hope upcoming??::

https://www.wunderground.com/news/storms/hurricane/news/2018-08-27-tropical-atlantic-about-to-wake-up-september-peak-hurricane-season
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 05:34:01 AM by eastbound »
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

SaMoSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2018, 08:24:34 AM »
Had a great labor day weekend surfing and distance paddling...

Rode my best wave ever yesterday at Malibu first point, almost a minute on a chest high wave and no one dropped in on me. I was so stoked like the first time I ever caught a wave.

Also surfed the 14' raceboard after a 5 mile paddle. Baywatch checked in on us a couple miles off the coast. Asked if someone had a VHF radio. I thought they were gonna bust us for no PFDs.

oceanAddict

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2018, 10:26:01 AM »
Had a great labor day weekend surfing and distance paddling...

Rode my best wave ever yesterday at Malibu first point, almost a minute on a chest high wave and no one dropped in on me. I was so stoked like the first time I ever caught a wave.

Not to derail the discussion .... SaMo, what app is on your Fenix?  Looks pretty cool. I want it too!!

And SUP gives me the ability to be on the water with minimal effort. I should admit, it all started as an alternative to prone surfing (longboarding); we live a stone throw away from Boston harbor and 5 min drive from the surfable spot. But it doesn't work pretty often or consistently. It mostly either very small or big.. So I got my first board and a few months later I realized that I can surf in the middle of the harbor. So I got my own secret spot haha. Then the second board followed and made me want to go the distance (the first one was DW kind of board).
Love the sport and see myself involved in it for a long time.   
Infinity Blackfish, SIC Bullet Air Glide, Sunova Point Break #003, Sunova Soul

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2018, 01:06:35 PM »

Also surfed the 14' raceboard after a 5 mile paddle. Baywatch checked in on us a couple miles off the coast. Asked if someone had a VHF radio. I thought they were gonna bust us for no PFDs.
I've thought about getting a Personal Locator Beacon (PLB's) for my offshore distance solo paddles. My friend says his cell phone works pretty far out when he's on his boat, but I don't like to bring my cell phone. I don't want anyone to call me when I'm out paddling. These PLB things are for an emergency, their waterproof, their small and they float.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/acr-electronics--resqlink-buoyant-personal-locator-beacon--13381207?recordNum=1

It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Bulky

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2018, 02:30:05 PM »
I highly recommend the PLB, TD.  You'll notice I've got it mounted right on the deck of the board.  I also have my cellphone in a drybag around my neck.  Since I'm out on the water alone, I like having two possible ways of communicating should the rare circumstance arise.
Santa Barbara, CA

SIC RS 14x24.5
Infinity Blackfish 14'
Naish Glide 14' (2012)
SupSports Hammer 8'11
Starboard WidePoint 10'5
Ke Nalu Mana, Konihi, Maliko

SaMoSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2018, 06:17:03 PM »

Not to derail the discussion .... SaMo, what app is on your Fenix?  Looks pretty cool. I want it too!!

It's the Surf Tracker data app. Pretty decent, not as sophisticated software as the Rip Curl watch or the Trace for surfing. But it tracks other sports I use it for such as snow skiing (altimeter), swimming, mt biking, etc.

https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/a9d3e8c1-fdaa-419d-b5c5-f763192569a2

The Fenix 3 watch I have has a different take on the PLB. You can send a link to whomever and they can track your location in near real time. You need to have your phone with you though to transmit the location data. I was looking for an app that could emulate a VHF radio on a smartphone. Only found a scanner app not a real two way radio.

I'm likely to upgrade to the Fenix 5+ which has bluetooth, holds music, and supports contactless payments so I don't have to carry cash or a credit card in case I need to stop at a beach bar somewhere along the way. Don't need your phone with you to use these features.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 06:21:15 PM by SaMoSUP »

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2018, 09:03:30 AM »
Good on you for keepin' it going. Water and scenery looks beautiful and some extra sweet company you have there!  :-* Can't imagine losing my love for sup....EVER!
btw- there was a whale quite close to shore the other day at my local. Spied him from the beach and bolted out to him. lucky me he came up for air like 10' from me. So gentle and slow he did his surfacing. I kept on my parallel course w/shoreline but when he surfaced again a few mins l8r he had veered about 20 degrees out to sea. GoPro regret was strong being as I'd left it home. Closest I'd ever come to a whale...felt like Ahab!
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2018, 10:01:35 AM »
id put the plb on your person, bulky, in case of leash break and board separation--and i know the water looks calm, but youre playing for a weather turn or something completely extreme random and non-ordinary

kinda like with avalanche beacons--always harnessed to body, never in pocket--in case clothes get ripped off in transit, which happens
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal