Author Topic: Kenalu Mana  (Read 10561 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Kenalu Mana
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2019, 09:10:45 PM »
I guess I lucked out. My first real paddle is the Mana 82, XTUf S, and ergo T. Love it. Didn't put it together, so I don't know if it is frontwards or backwards.

Wow. You nailed it right down the line.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2019, 09:13:31 PM »
What canoe guys call a draw stroke. You place the paddle a foot or so away from the bow and then pull towards yourself, steering the board in that direction.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

soepkip

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2019, 11:30:52 PM »
What canoe guys call a draw stroke. You place the paddle a foot or so away from the bow and then pull towards yourself, steering the board in that direction.

If i want to turn left I always paddle on the right and the other way around so I guess I won't miss this draw stroke
I got myself a Mana 90 just hope it will be ok after paddling a Maliko 95 for years.

Already tried it 3 inch longer, going from minus 2 to plus 1 but that was terrible.

supsean

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2019, 06:44:01 AM »

https://youtu.be/VWpMbf5tH7s a great video instructional from Chase Kosterlitz. Calls it the J stroke.
Fanatic Allwave 8'9"
Sunova Steeze 8'10"
Kenalu Ho'oloa

supsean

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2019, 06:46:14 AM »
I guess I lucked out. My first real paddle is the Mana 82, XTUf S, and ergo T. Love it. Didn't put it together, so I don't know if it is frontwards or backwards.

Wow. You nailed it right down the line.
zone definitely was key in my decision making.
Fanatic Allwave 8'9"
Sunova Steeze 8'10"
Kenalu Ho'oloa

supsean

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2019, 09:54:41 AM »
I didn't really believe the hype about paddles making a huge difference in surfing. But I have to say, I tried surfing with my old adjustable carbon / fiberglass combo. Not a cheap paddle retail. And I couldn't wait to get back on my Mana. Like night and day.
Fanatic Allwave 8'9"
Sunova Steeze 8'10"
Kenalu Ho'oloa

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2019, 08:22:41 PM »
A lot of people seem to think they can use anything for surf but need something special for race/downwind. I think surfing has at least as stringent requirements as racing. It needs to give you power even if you blow every aspect of the stroke. It needs to brace well, even out of position. It can't get in the way and it has to handle quickly. And if you're going after big waves, it can't fluff the catch. If you miss a big'un, the bigger brother will be along in 15 seconds to catch you in the impact zone.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2019, 11:53:33 AM »
This is gonna sound crazy, but I kid you not...

Several months ago my Ero-T started to twist in the shaft a bit, and being the lazy ass that I am, I just dealt with it, and figured I'd get around to straightening it sooner or later.

Well as time went on, the twisted handle offset got really noticeable, but also surprising to me, was the subtle little thing it did for me while paddling....

...it gave me a built in "J" or "C" stroke with it, so I left it, and that's now my new paddle for my "yaws used to yaw like crazy" 6' foil board! :o ;D

EDIT: I'm a goofy foot who paddles mainly on the left side of the board...but it's really an unnoticeable difference when I switch sides, and paddle off-handed/off-sided with it...still keeps me from yawing, and better still...I don't bang the rails with it as much either as it pulls away from the board as I start pulling on it from either side.  8)

« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 12:08:39 PM by SanoSlatchSup »
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2019, 12:03:26 PM »
This is gonna sound crazy, but I kid you not...

Several months ago my Ero-T started to twist in the shaft a bit, and being the lazy ass that I am, I just dealt with it, and figured I'd get around to straightening it sooner or later.

Well as time went on, the twisted handle offset got really noticeable, but also surprising to me also was the subtle little thing it did for me while paddling....it gave me a built in "J" or "C" stroke with it....
...so I left it, and that's now my new paddle for my "yaws like crazy" 6' foil board! :o ;D

EDIT: I'm a goofy foot who paddles mainly on the left side of the board...but it's really an unnoticeable difference when I switch sides, and paddle off-handed/off-sided with it...still keeps me from yawing, and better still...I don't bang the rails with it as much either as it pulls away from the board as I'm as I start pulling on it from either side.  8)

This is some next level Sheisa!

Reminds me of design class in Engineering school.  Sometimes you would whip something together that looked like crap and it would work better than the CAD (Computer Aided Design) beautiful solution.

Empirical vs. Theoretical.

Given our bias for Regular and Goofy there should be more of these asymmetric applications. 

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
Today at 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal