Author Topic: Kenalu Mana  (Read 10502 times)

10generation

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Kenalu Mana
« on: August 26, 2018, 08:16:20 PM »
Just got Mana 82 with ergo T handle and 90 flex shaft.  Had a werner trace 85 prior.

What a  difference, not sure I can explain exactly why, but love the kenalu.  Swings  easy.  The ergo T is a great handle, could not figure  out what to do with my fingers when  it arrived  and as soon  as  I started paddling, it became obvious it kept my  fingers and hand more loose.  Liked it quite a bit, thinking about getting a 90 as well.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Re: Kenalu Mana
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2018, 08:45:19 PM »
I love the ergo T. Everything else is 2nd best for me.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2018, 06:13:49 AM »
I had to see which you guyz meant...   Oddly enough, it's the one I don't really like.  I cannot seem figure which is front/back?!  The flat side wants my wrist to roll down to keep good contact and the curved side does not seem to aid control. I had their Classic-T once, but I don't like curved tops. The Kialoa is similar but keeps a full-round shape and straight topline.  I seem to get a better grip on it. (they both could be wider) 

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0009/3418/2967/products/Ergo_Ts-_flat_1024x1024.jpg?v=1523098480

After breaking an oval shaft in the surf, I always take two paddles and, like having two kids, try to share the playtime with them.  I am having a hard time deciding which is best the Werner Rip Stick or the Kialoa Methane.  I normally like a T-grip for control but the Werner seems to insert forward better and the big shaft is comforting, but the Methane seems quicker and easier to control ...????  The Kenalu stays home - in reserve.

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

gone_foiling

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2018, 10:42:39 AM »
I had to see which you guyz meant...   Oddly enough, it's the one I don't really like.  I cannot seem figure which is front/back?!

Flat side forward for me.
Addicted to foiling at the moment.
My shenanigans on insta @gone_foiling

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2018, 11:47:26 AM »
mana 82, xtuf soft, ergoT

i have strayed occasionally, but always return and find home very homey

so no more straying--and it's expensive to buy a new paddle, find it inferior, and revert to what has worked well
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2018, 03:26:50 PM »
the mana is nice with T-handle and xtuf shaft except I bought the big blade 90 and should've chose the 82  ::)

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2018, 06:04:20 PM »
Paddle Ke Nalus exclusively after testing one out, and buying it from PB 6+ years ago...love the Ergo T (flat side forward ;) ) over everything else I paddled in the past.

Had been surfing the xTuf Wiki 84 for all those years, but recently went to the xTuf Maliko 95 for the foil since I use a much lower cadence to go with the pump of the board to get up on the foil, and the little bigger blade of the Maliko adds a little more horsepower, and torque that makes this technique a lot easier. But I do carry both sizes just in case, and both are cut to head high...

Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

10generation

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2018, 08:18:10 PM »
Same with me - curved side  of the ergoT in the palm.

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2018, 09:27:15 AM »
Ergo T with the flat side out to be held with my fingers and the curved side in my palm. Awesomeness!
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2018, 10:00:38 AM »
biggie--no bats, no bugs, no nuttin! zen biggie!

possessions possess!

and boards and mana's are not possessions, they are flings

and rabid bats aint no fun either
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

capobeachboy

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2018, 09:43:35 PM »
Just got Mana 82 with ergo T handle and 90 flex shaft.  Had a werner trace 85 prior.

My favorite setup as well for race, distance & downwind.  I like the Wiki 74 with the xTuf shaft for surf and Maliko for foiling.
West Coast Distributor
Dolphin Surfcraft
DEEP Ocean Boards
Ambassador/team rider/rep
KeNalu Paddles

soepkip

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2019, 12:24:11 AM »
I use a Kenalu Maliko 95 for 6 years  cut about 2 inch below my height.
My wife has a Wiki 84 , that blade is too small for me
I started foiling and have a feeling my paddle should be longer...

I could get one of these longer handles but I could also get a Mana 90, but I am worried that it will be too small....

Who knows how the Maliko 95 and Mana 90 compare?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2019, 09:02:02 AM »
They have almost the same catch, but the Mana catches earlier, so you don't waste much of the meat of the stroke--the front part. The Mana also forgives and even fixes a sloppy paddle set, but neither the Mana nor the Konihi will let you do an angled pull stroke--the blades straighten themselves out. If that's an important part of the strokes you use, then you'd be better off with a Maliko, but I've been more than willing to sacrifice a stroke I rarely need for a blade that fixes my screwups.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

supsean

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2019, 05:14:05 AM »
I guess I lucked out. My first real paddle is the Mana 82, XTUf S, and ergo T. Love it. Didn't put it together, so I don't know if it is frontwards or backwards.
Fanatic Allwave 8'9"
Sunova Steeze 8'10"
Kenalu Ho'oloa

soepkip

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2019, 09:17:20 AM »
They have almost the same catch, but the Mana catches earlier, so you don't waste much of the meat of the stroke--the front part. The Mana also forgives and even fixes a sloppy paddle set, but neither the Mana nor the Konihi will let you do an angled pull stroke--the blades straighten themselves out. If that's an important part of the strokes you use, then you'd be better off with a Maliko, but I've been more than willing to sacrifice a stroke I rarely need for a blade that fixes my screwups.

What is an angled pull stroke?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal