Author Topic: Dropping the rope  (Read 10085 times)

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Dropping the rope
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2018, 11:25:17 PM »
just got back from Lake Powell myself.  I had my IWA on a liquid force board and was somewhat successful dropping the rope if I got in just the right spot.  This was behind a ski boat, which doesn't have a very good wake for surfing.  I found it pretty fun to foil, but I was constantly getting too much slack in the rope which was the biggest challenge.

are those photos from west canyon?  we stayed there for a few days on this trip...

Surfside

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2018, 04:43:26 AM »
Nice you guys, Lake Powell is on the bucket list.

This is impressive...Monkey Pump?  lol

https://youtu.be/wT8upKMwRFI

supdiscobay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2018, 08:27:05 AM »
just got back from Lake Powell myself.  I had my IWA on a liquid force board and was somewhat successful dropping the rope if I got in just the right spot.  This was behind a ski boat, which doesn't have a very good wake for surfing.  I found it pretty fun to foil, but I was constantly getting too much slack in the rope which was the biggest challenge.

are those photos from west canyon?  we stayed there for a few days on this trip...

Foil location was Rainbow Canyon on the way to the Rainbow Arch. Skiing was in Oaks Bay just east of Rainbow Canyon.
We spent one night in West Canyon, looks very similar.
Powell is so big and there is so much to see and do, one week doesn't cut it.
8'5" Starboard Pocket Rocket, 8'0" Kazuma Fugu custom,  8'10" Kings Sidewinder, 10' Starboard Noserider, 14' BARK Carbon Dominator, SIC F16 V3, KeNalu and Quickblade paddles, 19' Eaton Prone, 67" Goode 9700

sharksupper

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2018, 11:05:04 AM »
I had an opportunity yesterday to get behind a pro ski boat (teaching friends how to foil) and try to ride the wake.  I was using a Maliko 200 foil.  There were about 600lbs of people in the boat, and the wake was maybe 18-20" high, barely breaking.  Boat speed was 8-9mph.  I found I had to be right at the back/side of the boat to ride it without the rope, a very very tight zone to maintain flight continuously.  If I added pumping then I could keep it going easier.  The difficult part was staying in the right zone as the foil would quickly outrun the wake and I'd catch up and almost pass the boat a couple of times!  I think with a bigger boat/wake it would be easier.

Something I forgot to mention, everyone thought the Naish Large foil was much easier to control than the Maliko 200!  I was really perplexed by this and doubted their assessment at first, but after watching them try both and stay up 5x more on the Naish, I had to agree.  It seemed like the Maliko 200 was so much more pitch sensitive that they had a harder time controlling it.  Interesting observation for anyone learning behind a boat, bigger isn't always better.  Exact boat speed for the Naish was ~10-12mph, Makiko 200 was ~8-9mph.  Rider weight varied so speeds were slightly adjusted until they could just fly the foils without being "forced" to fly them  ;)

Sam the Surfer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2018, 07:03:19 PM »
The Kings Foil assembly works great behind a boat (32 inch front wing and glide rear). 9ish right behind the boat and 10.5 at the second wake.

Surfside

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2018, 04:27:07 AM »
Awesome photo!

skideeppow

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2018, 08:38:19 AM »
So went out on an x23 mastercraft.  Using the infinity 76 front wing.  After one or two trys was able to let go and ride for a couple minutes. Was super stoked.

12MPH seemed ideal

Any suggestions on how to get further back and ride the second wave?  I weight around 215.  wondering if my stabilzer is too small.  Using the one from my old NF2 set up.

https://youtu.be/0i8bWOP76xM

https://youtu.be/2TUa6grH8vU

Surfside

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2018, 10:23:45 AM »
Awesome!!!!

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2018, 03:57:36 PM »
I think you guys just need more practice at this stage.

Check out this guy.  Big wing, close to the back of the boat.  Avoid the fumes!

https://www.facebook.com/bryan.lake.75/videos/10156695218239936/

Sam the Surfer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2018, 08:06:17 AM »
Beasho- I took a page out of your book and converted a 15 year old sponge
Wakeboard into a foil board. With the 32 inch wing, a ton of power!!
I’m rethinking how sturdy these foil boards have to be...
Last winter I converted a wave skater body board into a river foil
Body board. It was brutal!!

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2018, 12:57:20 PM »
Beasho- I took a page out of your book and converted a 15 year old sponge
Wakeboard into a foil board. With the 32 inch wing, a ton of power!!
I’m rethinking how sturdy these foil boards have to be...
Last winter I converted a wave skater body board into a river foil
Body board. It was brutal!!
Nice work Sam...that's real cool, and looks like great fun.

Dang I want to try behind a boat sometime. Anyone? Anyone?  ;) ;D
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

skideeppow

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2018, 10:24:21 AM »
was back out last night, think i need a larger foil and longer mast?  what do you guys think.  I weigh 215, so maybe the imagine 84?

https://youtu.be/NH77CYPl8cs

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal