Author Topic: Cross Stepping  (Read 22264 times)

supsean

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Cross Stepping
« Reply #60 on: November 29, 2018, 09:45:55 AM »

I saw this video earlier in the year, and immediately ordered a New Deal.  I chose a custom board to get my perfect dims, and because I wanted it built in ecoboard construction by Earth Technologies.  I posted a photo here: https://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,34228.0.html

Dims I ordered are 9'6 x 29" x 4.5" 130 liters. I absolutely love the board, and it's perfect for me at 230 lbs.

Regarding your questions.  This board is a really good board for learning how to noseride.  I am much more of a performance SUP surfer, but I can get to the nose easily and it's super stable on the nose.  Almost too stable, because it's hard to steer from the nose.

The New Deal blends the best of both design styles. In terms of performance, it rips turns from the tail, can pump for speed from middle of the board, and catches waves easily. I'm personally a lot more interested in turning and surfing waves from a performance perspective, and I'm mostly surfing beachbreak where speed and maneuverability are a priority. Occasionally a noseride section shows up, and I love it, but most of the time I need speed and love carving turns.

If the New Deal were made into a better noserider, it would lose the performance characteristics.  50/50 rails are slow, but make it easier to steer a board from the nose. Extreme tail-kick rocker is slow, but creates lift when perched on the nose. All of these compromises are good if you're really trying to optimize tip-time at the expense of all-around performance surfing.

The New Deal actually has a lot of rocker, but it's distributed throughout the board.  This enhances noseriding a fair bit, while also making it more maneuverable on a wave. The traction pad also helps with noseriding because it approximates tail-kick rocker to some extent. The shape's rails are also kind of thin, which makes it easier to sink a rail for a nice bottom turn and helps noseriding.

My take is that the New Deal is really user friendly for surfing in all conditions, and more than capable of noseriding when a good noseriding section appears. If you're not already good at noseriding, the New Deal is perfect for starting to learn.  When you're good at noseriding, you can get a board that is designed only for that, if that's what you love and you live near appropriate waves.

Wow. That is exactly the board dims I proposed to Dave in an email to see if he thought it was possible. Thanks for the explanation of the shape. What you are describing is exactly the kind of surfing I try to do. I am often on a beach break in not so great waves, looking for a fairly stable platform from which to improve my turns, get into waves early, move up and down the board towards the nose, and make sure I can fit the sucker back into my apartment. I have to wait a bit before I buy, but at least I know it is possible...
Fanatic Allwave 8'9"
Sunova Steeze 8'10"
Kenalu Ho'oloa

kwhilden

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Sustainable Surf
    • Email
« Reply #61 on: November 29, 2018, 10:28:46 AM »
Supsean,

It sounds like the New Deal is perfect for you. If you make it to the Los Angeles area, hit me up and you can paddle out on mine. Also, ask for Ecoboard construction, because why not get a board that's more sustainable with a reduced ocean footprint...
Sustainable Surf

supsean

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #62 on: November 29, 2018, 12:41:06 PM »
Supsean,

It sounds like the New Deal is perfect for you. If you make it to the Los Angeles area, hit me up and you can paddle out on mine. Also, ask for Ecoboard construction, because why not get a board that's more sustainable with a reduced ocean footprint...

Thanks! I will if I can get out of the northeast. . . How much more was the Ecoboard?
Fanatic Allwave 8'9"
Sunova Steeze 8'10"
Kenalu Ho'oloa

kwhilden

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Sustainable Surf
    • Email
« Reply #63 on: November 29, 2018, 01:14:44 PM »
You better have that conversation with Dave Boehne. My board went super high end with vacuum bagging and cedar veneer, so can't answer any question on price difference. On a big SUP, I'm sold on making boards as light as possible for performance. Hence vacuum bagging, etc... Something to consider based on your budget.
Sustainable Surf

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 01, 2018, 04:00:06 PM »
Longboard Final! Now T. Jenson and H. Ingleby.

CROSS Stepping.. Ripping..
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal