Author Topic: Cross Stepping  (Read 22265 times)

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Cross Stepping
« on: August 23, 2018, 11:54:50 AM »
I don’t normally cross step on my board as part of my normal paddling routine, but have worked on it at times. I’ve always been fairly proficient at cross stepping forward on the board (from tail towards the nose), but always seemed to have difficulty cross stepping back (going towards the tail).

A couple of weeks ago I discovered a little trick that seemed to help. When cross stepping I always crossed one leg in front of the other. But then a couple of weeks ago, when I was cross stepping going back (towards the tail), I crossed my leg behind. For whatever reason, this seemed to make a pretty big difference.

So now, when I’m cross stepping forward (from tail towards the nose) I cross one leg in front of the other. But when I’m cross stepping back (going towards the tail) I cross one leg behind the other.

Is this just my weird body mechanics, or has anyone else noticed this?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 11:57:35 AM by Quickbeam »
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
Re: Cross Stepping
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2018, 12:15:05 PM »
So now, when I’m cross stepping forward (from tail towards the nose) I cross one leg in front of the other. But when I’m cross stepping back (going towards the tail) I cross one leg behind the other.

I'm interested in these types of helpful tips/techniques, but can you elaborate on how your backwards cross stepping is different from frontwards?  Other than direction?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 12:57:59 PM by Dusk Patrol »
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

connector14

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2018, 12:31:14 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UO0o1VZTIA

I wanna be able to move like her!!
"never leave the dock without your paddle"
Imagine Rocket 14 ...my new favorite, smooth and fast and lite
2018 Red Paddle 14 x 27 Elite
2014 Bark Dominator 14....smooth and quiet
2014 Imagine Connector 14...the "barge"

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2018, 12:52:02 PM »

I'm interested in these types of helpful tips/techniques, but can you elaborate on how our backwards cross stepping is different from frontwards?  Other than direction?

Not sure how I can describe it better. Previously, I always crossed one leg in front of the other when cross stepping. Now, when cross stepping from tail to nose, I still cross step with one leg going in front of the other, but when cross stepping from nose to tail, I cross step by having one leg go behind the other. Take a look at the video Connector 14 just posted. Look from the 38 second mark to the 42 second mark. When Candice is moving towards the nose at the 38 second mark, she is crossing her right leg in front of her left leg. But when she is moving back, towards the tail, she is crossing her left leg behind her right. This is exactly what I’ve started doing. Previously, going back, I would have been crossing my left leg in front of my right.

Hope this makes more sense with the video. Thanks Connector 14 for sharing that.

And as an aside, it probably wouldn’t make much difference to Candice which way she did it. But I did find it made quite a bit of difference for me.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 12:53:58 PM by Quickbeam »
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2018, 01:09:43 PM »
I see... What were you doing before when stepping back? More shuffling than cross stepping?
I tend to shuffle and I would like to improve on that...   

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2018, 01:14:35 PM »
Yes, I normally shuffle back, but I like to practice different things. Like I mentioned in my original post, I could cross step going toward the nose fairly well, but always seem to have trouble cross stepping going back towards the tail. Crossing my leg behind instead of in front when going back helped that quite a bit. It seems pretty subtle, but for me at least it does make a difference.

I should also clarify that I still mostly shuffle back, as it is more efficient for me and I'm more sure footed doing this than cross stepping. But I do like to work on things like this. Maybe someday, with practice, I'll get like Candice  :)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 01:19:31 PM by Quickbeam »
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2018, 01:29:15 PM »
Yep, she pretty much keeps her feet on the center line. I'm sure there are archived threads on this topic. 

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2018, 01:31:03 PM »
Previously, going back, I would have been crossing my left leg in front of my right.

I have just been trying to do that on land after reading your comments and it does feel "unnatural". It probably transfers more of the weight to the side of the board.
Not that I can cross-step anyway  :-[
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2018, 04:05:41 PM »
I have no idea what you guys are talking about! Cross-stepping is exactly that. You do the same going backwards as you do going forwards. Maybe since I longboard surfed for so many years before SUP I’ve just forgotten what I do. I used to practice cross-stepping up and down my board for hours on the living room floor (with fins removed).  I’m still crap at it. But it’s probably easier to do going back than forwards, really. You don’t so much walk forwards or backwards as you stay in one place and move the board under you.

Surfside

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2018, 04:07:27 PM »
After watching her foot work, I would venture to guess that she also dances. She appears to roll her feet now and then. Practicing dance can help with your balance and technique. we always warmed up with cross steps followed by spins in both directions before class. If anyone is interested, visit Skippy Blair's site and download "walk like a dancer" to start.
https://www.swingworld.com/dance-articles.html
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 04:10:56 PM by windwakerider »

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2018, 04:18:34 PM »
Previously, going back, I would have been crossing my left leg in front of my right.

I have just been trying to do that on land after reading your comments and it does feel "unnatural". It probably transfers more of the weight to the side of the board.
Not that I can cross-step anyway  :-[

Hi Luc,

Yes, I agree. I used to sometimes practice on dry land and it just never felt quite right. But when I changed it to the new method, it seems to make quite a difference. Feels more natural on dry land and for me at least, seems to make a difference on the board.

Maybe you're right in that the new method keeps the weight more balanced.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 04:25:30 PM by Quickbeam »
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2018, 04:21:03 PM »
I have no idea what you guys are talking about! Cross-stepping is exactly that. You do the same going backwards as you do going forwards. Maybe since I longboard surfed for so many years before SUP I’ve just forgotten what I do. I used to practice cross-stepping up and down my board for hours on the living room floor (with fins removed).  I’m still crap at it. But it’s probably easier to do going back than forwards, really. You don’t so much walk forwards or backwards as you stay in one place and move the board under you.

I agree Area 10 that you move the board under you. But I don't agree that you do the same going backwards as you do going forward. That's what I used to do and it was much more difficult. It's also not what Candice is doing in the video. Again, it could well be different for different people, but it is much easier and more balanced for me to do it differently going forward than backward.
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2018, 04:24:55 PM »
After watching her foot work, I would venture to guess that she also dances. She appears to roll her feet now and then. Practicing dance can help with your balance and technique. we always warmed up with cross steps followed by spins in both directions before class. If anyone is interested, visit Skippy Blair's site and download "walk like a dancer" to start.
https://www.swingworld.com/dance-articles.html

I’ll definitely take a look at this. One of the instructors I sometimes work with at times calls the deck pad “our dance floor”. I’ve always liked that analogy. And those that are really good on the board can look like they are dancing. Looks so graceful.

I’m probably too old and beat up to ever get there, but it doesn’t mean I’m not going to keep trying  ;)
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2018, 04:33:53 PM »
Ah, this makes me feel nostalgic- back from the time when rocker wasn’t a crime... and SUP was somehow more fun... lots of shuffling going on here, but some lovely drop-knee type longboard moves. Deceptively hard to do well on a bump, but very useful if you can. Could save you a lot of shuffling, or even cross-stepping.

https://youtu.be/UKk7RGqn9Lk

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2018, 06:29:46 PM »
I think folks are confused by the terms. With respect, crossing over and behind is not exactly the best way to describe it.

Assuming that using the front of your body as “over”or in front of, and behind as behind, here goes.

As a goofy, going to the nose, step back leg (left) over in front of right. Next step is left leg behind the right, and so on.

Assuming you get to the nose in stance, to go back, you bring the right leg back, stepping behind, then left leg back over the right.

Reverse for you regular footers. This is how I’ve seen every long boarder ever do it.

If you were bringing your front leg over in front of you that would seem to be nearly impossible or you are insanely flexible to keep in stance while you did. Glad you sorted it!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal