Author Topic: Cross Stepping  (Read 22377 times)

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Cross Stepping
« Reply #45 on: November 26, 2018, 04:41:00 PM »
Jackson and the Dogman!

Cool vid. Sweet as..
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

supsean

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: November 27, 2018, 02:10:56 PM »
There are a number of nine footers, but most are narrow and low on liters. 9' x 28" x 105. Not for beginners, or the balance challenged.

One that I am aware of is the Hobie Colin M. which is 9' x 30" with 138 liters. Bout the same as your AW as far as liters. Try to find one, or another board that is narrower than your All-Wave.

Flotation wise you would be fine. Width probably, but a trial of some kind is always best.

Unless of course you wish to compete in the group who have owned billions and billions of boards..

No Hobie affiliation BTW!

Thanks!  How about the New Deal that you ride? at 9'6" it would fit in my foyer.
Fanatic Allwave 8'9"
Sunova Steeze 8'10"
Kenalu Ho'oloa

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 27, 2018, 02:36:42 PM »
^ I can confirm the 9'6 New Deal is great, flotation and otherwise, for 85 kgs.  It's a fast board (from my intermediate skills  perspective). I also like the 32" width. But if you're looking to go narrower, Blue Planet has a 9x29 Namotu at 138L.  (They also offer a narrower 9x27.5 Nose Performer.)       
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 02:38:48 PM by Dusk Patrol »
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 27, 2018, 04:44:04 PM »
Aha! Thought you were limited to 9'!

My New Deal is 9'6" x 31". Their 10 footers are narrow - the widest being 29".

The tails on the New Deals are elliptical which are not as stable as a squash or diamond. However, in larger Hurricane and Snowecane swells it carves amazingly well.

If 31" wide works for you, and 9'6" ain't too long it is an awesome board.

YMMV!
Let it come to you..
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 27, 2018, 05:16:33 PM »
oops I stand corrected on the width, yes 31" ...  I just think of it as cushy wide...  ;D
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 27, 2018, 06:52:31 PM »
These days if I wanted a noserider I'd talk to Jimmy Lewis. I'd probably wind up with something custom, because I'm a heavy buggah, but maybe not. Jimmy lives on the nose. Full respect to the Bohne's and the Brown Blur, but noseriding on a SUP = Jimmy Lewis.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 28, 2018, 07:06:04 AM »
Nose riding speciality board - Black and Blue definitely a good choice. Only available as a 10 footers though.

His new destroyer looks like a great choice as an all arounder - better than the striker according to the AU distributor.

Infinity a better choice for performance long boarding. Like the Deep that Jackson was riding and some of the other Aussie sleds.

Their contest scene is interesting and leads to some great surfing and interesting designs.
Let it come to you..
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 28, 2018, 08:22:04 AM »
Nose riding speciality board - Black and Blue definitely a good choice. Only available as a 10 footers though.

His new destroyer looks like a great choice as an all arounder - better than the striker according to the AU distributor.

Infinity a better choice for performance long boarding. Like the Deep that Jackson was riding and some of the other Aussie sleds.

Their contest scene is interesting and leads to some great surfing and interesting designs.

Hey Biggie, the JL B&B Machine is actually available in three sizes, 9’6″x28.5″x3.5″ (117L), 9’9″x30″x4″ (136L) and 10’1″x31″x4.25″ (164L).  Each size also can be ordered with a concave or flat nose.

I ride the 9'6" with a concave nose. 

As you know, the differences between a dedicated noserider and a performance longboard are not insignificant. The 50/50 rails, large single, and tail kick all contribute to keep the tail down for trips to the nose.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 08:26:23 AM by Bean »

supsean

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: November 28, 2018, 09:41:49 AM »

I ride the 9'6" with a concave nose. 

As you know, the differences between a dedicated noserider and a performance longboard are not insignificant. The 50/50 rails, large single, and tail kick all contribute to keep the tail down for trips to the nose.

Great posting Bean. I'm really starting to understand shape and performance from it.  I have a couple of questions, though...

Why a concave nose?

What are the disadvantages of a performance SUP?  Obviously a large single could be used in a 3-fin box, so that is the same in both boards. How about the 50/50 rails? What is the advantage to those over the short-board rails of the New Deal for instance? And should it have more or less tail kick for nose riding?

Watching Dave surf his 9' looks like fun. He gets to the nose quite easily, but he was born on a surfboard, so I know he could probably surf on a kitchen table and get to the nose...!

Fanatic Allwave 8'9"
Sunova Steeze 8'10"
Kenalu Ho'oloa

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 28, 2018, 10:03:01 AM »
Thanks for update Bean!
Let it come to you..
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 28, 2018, 10:18:34 AM »
Here's some good info..
Let it come to you..
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 28, 2018, 10:21:40 AM »
Quote from: supsean link=topic=33931.msg389677#msg389677
Why a concave nose?

What are the disadvantages of a performance SUP?  Obviously a large single could be used in a 3-fin box, so that is the same in both boards. How about the 50/50 rails? What is the advantage to those over the short-board rails of the New Deal for instance? And should it have more or less tail kick for nose riding?

A concave nose increases the planing area without having to increase the width and provides more lift.  One drawback is it does create more drag, but at certain breaks more drag and lower speeds actually help.

Down rails/hard rails, etc. allow the water to release and allows the board to plane.  50/50 or round rails allow the water to wrap around the board help hold it in the pocket.  A true nose rider is more like a submarine than  a surface vessel.

Tail kick naturally slows the noserider down but is also important for generating good pivot turns off the tail.

The new deal is set up as a performance longboard, fast and agile, vertical surfing.  And, I want one!
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 10:25:24 AM by Bean »

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 28, 2018, 10:33:34 AM »
The state of art noseriding:
(the pro's tape the board at the 12" mark to keep track of time spent on the nose, and at the 24" mark for the Jr.'s and am's)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 10:35:26 AM by Bean »

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: November 28, 2018, 12:57:49 PM »
that's so much fun!

kwhilden

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Sustainable Surf
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: November 28, 2018, 02:53:46 PM »

Great posting Bean. I'm really starting to understand shape and performance from it.  I have a couple of questions, though...

Why a concave nose?

Watching Dave surf his 9' looks like fun. He gets to the nose quite easily, but he was born on a surfboard, so I know he could probably surf on a kitchen table and get to the nose...!

I saw this video earlier in the year, and immediately ordered a New Deal.  I chose a custom board to get my perfect dims, and because I wanted it built in ecoboard construction by Earth Technologies.  I posted a photo here: https://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,34228.0.html

Dims I ordered are 9'6 x 29" x 4.5" 130 liters. I absolutely love the board, and it's perfect for me at 230 lbs.

Regarding your questions.  This board is a really good board for learning how to noseride.  I am much more of a performance SUP surfer, but I can get to the nose easily and it's super stable on the nose.  Almost too stable, because it's hard to steer from the nose.

The New Deal blends the best of both design styles. In terms of performance, it rips turns from the tail, can pump for speed from middle of the board, and catches waves easily. I'm personally a lot more interested in turning and surfing waves from a performance perspective, and I'm mostly surfing beachbreak where speed and maneuverability are a priority. Occasionally a noseride section shows up, and I love it, but most of the time I need speed and love carving turns.

If the New Deal were made into a better noserider, it would lose the performance characteristics.  50/50 rails are slow, but make it easier to steer a board from the nose. Extreme tail-kick rocker is slow, but creates lift when perched on the nose. All of these compromises are good if you're really trying to optimize tip-time at the expense of all-around performance surfing.

The New Deal actually has a lot of rocker, but it's distributed throughout the board.  This enhances noseriding a fair bit, while also making it more maneuverable on a wave. The traction pad also helps with noseriding because it approximates tail-kick rocker to some extent. The shape's rails are also kind of thin, which makes it easier to sink a rail for a nice bottom turn and helps noseriding.

My take is that the New Deal is really user friendly for surfing in all conditions, and more than capable of noseriding when a good noseriding section appears. If you're not already good at noseriding, the New Deal is perfect for starting to learn.  When you're good at noseriding, you can get a board that is designed only for that, if that's what you love and you live near appropriate waves.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 02:57:35 PM by kwhilden »
Sustainable Surf

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
Today at 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
Today at 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard