Author Topic: Strength Training Thoughts  (Read 13210 times)

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Strength Training Thoughts
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2018, 07:32:06 AM »
I will be 60 in a little over 2 weeks. I probably spend 75% of my time on a cardio machine. I do some core/abs work, but some of that is vanity - I am going to turn 60 with visible abs after being clinically obese in the summer of 2017. But the machine/device I think helps most is the endless rope machine.

https://www.google.com/search?q=endless+rope+machine  - just a generic query as there are variations that different gyms have. Mine has one like this:

I back away from it a bit and rock back on my heels so that I am off balance about to fall backwards and then use the rope like I am try to pull back to my feet purely using my arms. It does graduated resistance. I can never pull myself forward but I can always try up until the point I just have to stop. Reaching out and pulling with core engaged over and over and continuing to do it as hard and fast as you can as your strength ebbs - sound familiar?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 08:31:07 AM by RideTheGlide »
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2018 Hydro-Force fastblast 12'6"
2019 BKC 12'

connector14

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2018, 09:26:51 AM »
One day I was trying to get my 88 year old dad out of bed and I was sitting in a wheelchair showing him how he could move around in the chair using his legs and arms....he said to me "son,  all of this emphasis on movement is highly over-rated"....

He had been an active tennis player until he fell once on the court while in his 70's....his doc told him he had better stop playing tennis or he might have a bad accident and never walk again.....worst advice he even could have gotten....he was never the same after that and he became so sedentary and weak and went downhill pretty quick after that. His doc gave him the excuses for becoming weak and lazy.

Keep moving folks !
"never leave the dock without your paddle"
Imagine Rocket 14 ...my new favorite, smooth and fast and lite
2018 Red Paddle 14 x 27 Elite
2014 Bark Dominator 14....smooth and quiet
2014 Imagine Connector 14...the "barge"

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2018, 04:08:14 PM »
The activity with the highest amount of all cause mortality prevention is strength training.

The studies I see put both cardio and strength training in the upper forties as far as improvement in risk. Those are strong numbers. I like a little of both to have strength and endurance, but I like to do long paddles.

Here are a couple of studies, one for strength training and one for cardio:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26921660
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2951585

The takeaway id being fit helps significantly. Which road you take to get there doesn't seem to make much difference.
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2018 Hydro-Force fastblast 12'6"
2019 BKC 12'

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2018, 04:46:35 PM »
Because of some diet changes and blood pressure medication, I lost some muscle strength.
I have started doing kettle bell swings and farmers carries.  The kettle bell swing uses a lot of the same
movement as paddling.  A gym membership isn't required.
I bought two 10 pound dumbbells to start with.  I was originally worried that was too light.  The store I bought them
from is in a mall.  By the time I got to my car, I was glad I didn't buy 15 pound dumbbells.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2018, 07:08:23 PM »
One day I was trying to get my 88 year old dad out of bed and I was sitting in a wheelchair showing him how he could move around in the chair using his legs and arms....he said to me "son,  all of this emphasis on movement is highly over-rated"....

He had been an active tennis player until he fell once on the court while in his 70's....his doc told him he had better stop playing tennis or he might have a bad accident and never walk again.....worst advice he even could have gotten....he was never the same after that and he became so sedentary and weak and went downhill pretty quick after that. His doc gave him the excuses for becoming weak and lazy.

Keep moving folks !

Pretty much my mantra.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2018, 07:46:24 PM »
Since I started walking (a fast) 3 miles a day (with some steep hills), my legs have become so much stronger. It's improved my surfing too. I've started doing a few distance paddles each week as well. I used to run and ride my mountain bike but both started to inflamed my knees, so I would just paddle to stay fit. My legs didn't get much of a workout just paddling. After having surgery the beginning of this years, the only exercise I could do was walk. I was really feeling my legs getting stronger. So for now the walking and paddling is my current workout routine. No gym for me.
As far as my diet goes, I just bought a new BBQ and have been using it twice a week  :)
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2018, 12:22:51 AM »
Two well sized dumbells and a rucksack full of plates in your garage and you can do loads of relevant work in 20 minutes.

Cruisinby

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2018, 03:32:54 PM »
ADD STRETCHING AND MINOR YOGA and you will go far,  Im 66 still prone surf, sup and windsurf.   My older friends who are profient all stretch and do minor yoga at home.   Dedication thru commetment will yield major dividends !    Find what works for you, your skill level and physic. 

paddle on youngster !   Hope to See when Im 90, Look for old one eyed bald headed fat man still havin fun !

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2019, 12:53:24 PM »
Reviving this thread, pretty much plateau'ed for the last few months. I've done some TRX combos for a few weeks, and then I used the 3 month program from Surf Strength Fitness, which was a nice mix (but I've done it twice now). Looking for something to stay lean (I'm fluctating between 165-170 lb) but continue to strength legs, core, shoulders. I may work in some of the Dave Kalama mix - and focus on squats/deadlift/press variations.

That along with kiting/paddling roughly 5 times a week.
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer
6'5" JL Flying-V/GoFoil Maliko 200
Kenalu Ho'oloa 95, Werner Rip Stick 79

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal