Author Topic: Two Interesting Weight Control Articles  (Read 15719 times)

exiled

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Two Interesting Weight Control Articles
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2019, 09:47:54 AM »
Well, a diet that has you losing weight is never supposed to be sustainable, you can't just keep losing weight indefinitely. I still have a bit more to lose before hitting my target weight. I was pretty rigid about my eating schedule the first 6 weeks, but since then I've taken some off days for parties or other special occasions. Going back hasn't been hard at all, just a matter of forming the habit of when it is you should be eating. During my eating window, I eat what I want, so if I have a craving for something during the day, its just 'I'll eat that when I get home' not 'oh, I can't have that, I'm on a diet'. I went from 16 to 20 hour fasts because after a week 16 hours felt too easy. Its actually been an easier behavior to maintain than any kind of calorie counting for me.

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2019, 10:40:25 AM »
Well, a diet that has you losing weight is never supposed to be sustainable, you can't just keep losing weight indefinitely. I still have a bit more to lose before hitting my target weight. I was pretty rigid about my eating schedule the first 6 weeks, but since then I've taken some off days for parties or other special occasions. Going back hasn't been hard at all, just a matter of forming the habit of when it is you should be eating. During my eating window, I eat what I want, so if I have a craving for something during the day, its just 'I'll eat that when I get home' not 'oh, I can't have that, I'm on a diet'. I went from 16 to 20 hour fasts because after a week 16 hours felt too easy. Its actually been an easier behavior to maintain than any kind of calorie counting for me.
Actually you can lose weight on a sustainable diet but it's really slow toward the end. As you lower your weight your daily requirements for energy are reduced and you require fewer calories. If you are 200 and compute your calories to maintain at 175, you will lose weight eating that amount at 200 and continue to lose weight until you get to 175. But it will be crazy slow for the last few pounds.

What I did for the latter half of my loss, after being convinced it was a better idea, was set a target that was lower than what I would need to maintain. I ate pretty much what I wanted, but tracking intake, watching portions (actually weighing stuff), making trade-offs, etc. As I got close I started upping my daily goal slowly.

There was never any big change in my eating habits to stop losing and start maintaining. I didn't stop eating any particular food cold turkey. I have pretty much cut a few things out by choice because I don't like the trade-off required, but sometimes still make it. The clock didn't and doesn't tell me when I can eat. I find this easier to do than other things I have tried in the past.

I lost ~65 pounds and have kept it off over a year. Statistically speaking, making it a year is a big deal. The odds of keeping it off long term go way up. It works for me, at least so far. That doesn't mean it will work for everyone, but reading success stories from people who have kept a big loss off long term, it's a very common strategy.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 10:42:34 AM by RideTheGlide »
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2018 Hydro-Force fastblast 12'6"
2019 BKC 12'

exiled

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2019, 05:43:28 PM »
Guess if taking out a scale and weighing everything before you eat it was easier for you awesome. I'm just saying I was really surprised how easy fasting for 18 hours a day was once I tried it.

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2019, 07:10:44 PM »
Guess if taking out a scale and weighing everything before you eat it was easier for you awesome. I'm just saying I was really surprised how easy fasting for 18 hours a day was once I tried it.
Not everything, but a lot of things and not every time once I got better at knowing what was a specified serving versus what is commonly eaten. Lots of things that I though I was eating a reasonable serving of were actually closer to two. It does become an easy habit though; the scale is in a cabinet right next to the sink; slips in nicely on its side. An extra few seconds. I don't always track everything every day any more, but fairly often. I rarely go more than a couple of days without stepping on the scale first thing in the morning; another habit that has become almost second nature.
What works for me doesn't work for everyone, but similar behaviors do seem to work for a lot of people. Like 78% of people who have kept the weight off over a year, I eat breakfast every day. I eat dinner with family. So a short eating window wouldn't work for me.
But a short eating window works for some people. Being reasonable about choices, you will end up with a calorie deficit enabling you to lose weight.
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2018 Hydro-Force fastblast 12'6"
2019 BKC 12'

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal