Author Topic: 120 sq. in. paddle?....anybody still use them...negatives?  (Read 3021 times)

steamroller

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
120 sq. in. paddle?....anybody still use them...negatives?
« on: August 22, 2018, 11:05:04 AM »
thinking about getting a 120 sq in paddle for foil SUP...

ive always liked bigger blades...i want to feel like the paddle is stuck in the water so i can pull the board past it as opposed to digging a hole with the little guys...

.never tried one before....does anyone still make these things?...and for those who have had one what were your negatives?...tha ks

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
Re: 120 sq. in. paddle?....anybody still use them...negatives?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2018, 11:24:27 AM »
The Quickblade 120 Big Mama Kalama comes to mind.  Probably one to be found somewhere if not still in production. 

The largest paddle I've used was the hilariously named Werner Spanker  @ 106 I think.  Wore me out on long paddles, but that speaks to my conditioning more than anything.   
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

all~wet

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2018, 11:58:24 AM »
120 sq in. is ginormous. I suspect it may be derived from Tahitian v1 paddles for rudderless one man canoes in big water where you are paddling and applying draw strokes and poking to steer.

Paddling well is all about using technique, patience and discipline finding the balance to generate maximum power/speed efficiently... without over-pulling. Small paddles and large paddles offer different advantages/compromises related to power applied. Pick your poison. A small blade over-powered results in cavitation/slippage. Both wasted energy and slower speeds than optimal pressure. A large blade over-powered has much less chance of cavitating/slipping, but that excess energy has to go somewhere doesn't it? The weak/breaking point in this case tends to be joints... shoulders/ elbows.

We all have different ergonomics, technique, feel, but for me the Ke Nalu Molokai at 105 sq in. is a great larger paddle and hits a nice sweet spot. Great for SUP surfing on a small board- can often set up inside and pull in w/ 2 strokes.

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2018, 02:16:33 PM »
that's a big blade and whats your stat steamroller (weight & height)?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2018, 02:36:36 PM »
It would probably work for you. Especially foiling where your speed is so high and you don't have time to plant the paddle. I have a couple of old Ke Nalu Molokai blades kicking around. If you have a Ke Nalu shaft and handle I'll dig through them and send you the least gnarly. They stick and hold a bit over their measured size--more like 110. PM me if you want one.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2018, 06:58:52 PM »
Not 120 sq. in. but did just discover that I really like a bigger blade for foiling than I used forever for suping. Recently had to use a bigger backup paddle while I was doing a little work on my Ke Nalu Wiki 84 with  BU blade being 100 sq. in. (compared to the Wiki's "84"), and I really like the stronger pull I had with it, so then part of my little work on the Wiki 84 was to put a Malilo 95 blade on it, and I now absolutely love it.

The smaller Wiki was great for suping since a used a more rapid cadence to push my shorter SUPs into the wave, but not with my foil board that I more of less "fly" into the wave instead.

So instead of a quick, short stroke cadence, I now only take two to five deep, long pulls as I pump the board on each pull depending on size, and energy of wave I'm chasing, and the bigger blade adds greater HP and torque to each pull that allows me to get into stuff sooner or even on some that I wouldn't have been able to previously.

I'm now definitely of the "bigger blade is better" for foiling club for sure...if there even is one that is. :)
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2018, 08:58:32 PM »
On the other end of the spectrum, Jacko told me he whacked most of his paddle off a week or so ago, hitting the foil. Not only did he keep going, but he   used the truncated blade for a few days. I reminded him that he knows a guy with a shop full of composite equipment and supplies, but it worked for him. I'd guess he might have had 15 square inches of blade left.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

sailwave

• HMB - OB surf patrol
  • Waikiki Status
  • HMB - OB surf patrol
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2018, 03:35:56 PM »
120 sq-in does seem rather large. I am 185 lb and 5'10" and in the surf I do like my old full carbon Kialoa that is about 104 sq-in. I also have an 86 sq-in. The 104 does hinder the fast cadence for wave catching  but I keep it short to help that out.  The reason I really like the 104 is for stability  in  the choppy moving water days we get along the coast between Half Moon Bay and Ocean Beach. The big blade in the water gives me a fat third leg to stand on when that backwash hits you.  I am a weekend warrior who is not good at getting up for early glass either so good conditions are pretty rare for me.
cheers.
185 lb, 5' 10"
Starboard 9' Pro  (windsup option)
Mistral Pacifico Wave 11' (windsup option)
Starboard 8'5" Pocket Rocket (windsup option)
Naish Hover Crossover 7'4" (windfoil, wingfoil, SUP foil, SUP)

steamroller

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2018, 03:22:13 PM »
thank's for the info guys...i use a werner advantage paddle no numbers on it but recently found out it is 111 sq in... its good but i want mor Oomph!....just emailed them to see if they have anything in a 120sq in blade otherwise im going to quickblade....Big Mama Kalama 120 just sounds cool

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal