Author Topic: Lost foil at el Porto  (Read 2501 times)

sea_mode

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Lost foil at el Porto
« on: August 22, 2018, 08:29:15 AM »
Ripped out of the track and went to the bottom of the ocean. I assume it’s another donation to king Neptune but just in case anyone comes across it. All black takuma type shape with L41 markings

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Lost foil at el Porto
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2018, 09:25:17 AM »
Might be worth doing a grid search with mask and snorkel. I found my lower mast section at Kanaha that way--two days later. I would have thought it would have rolled to Oahu in the current, but it was just about where I lost it.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2018, 09:34:38 AM »
This is where you may also want to Pay-Up for a foil that floats.

As wintertime approaches I would NOT want to foil without a floating foil.  I have had my box fail on 2 different boards, once the foil ripped completely out.  BUT the GoFoils float just like Bumbles bounce.  I swam in 100 yard and there was the foil bobbing on the surface in the foam in 10 feet of water.

No need to lose $1,000+ from a box failure.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2018, 09:40:56 AM »
From Piros In Australia:

Quote from: PIROS
toppleover said..
Does anyone have a chart showing diff foils weights & also some foils float - others sink, what are the pros & cons please?

These are just ones I've tried , no order. Plus don't let a sinking foil put you off , it's makes no difference in flight and sometimes an advantage in choppy conditions. I do personally prefer a light floating foil on my prone but doesn't worry me on my Sup.

GF Floats
Axis Floats
Naish Floats
Carbon Innovation Floats
Signature Floats ( the lightest of all )
SlingShot Sinks
Neil Pryde Sinks
Starboard Sinks
Air Rush Sinks
Lift Sinks (but super light)

https://www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Stand-Up-Paddle/Foiling/Wing-Surface-Areas
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 09:43:55 AM by Beasho »

sea_mode

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2018, 12:26:32 PM »
Yeah did the snorkel thing for about an hour and no joy. May give it another go tomorrow. Thinking about it in terms of a grid is a good call though. And yeah only floating foils for me from now on! Maybe also a foil leash?

sharksupper

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2018, 12:55:10 PM »
After losing my foil to the waves I now run a kite line from around my mast to my leash line where it connects to the board.  Make sure the foil floats if you're using an adapter, which is +1.5-2lbs.  I actually haven't tested that yet, I just run the safety line and don't worry about it.

goodfornothin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2018, 01:49:43 PM »
Visibility may be a wee bit askew comparing porto to kanaha, haha.   Although it may be comparable the next few days 8)

sea_mode

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2018, 02:25:11 PM »
Anyone you guys trust in L.A. area for board repair on track boxes for foils? Want to make sure it comes out strong.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2018, 07:49:56 PM »
Edubz on here is your guy.

Was that a Chinese foil? If so, post a review. No one will own up to buying one but we know they are out there and we know that at least some of the name brands are buying from those factories.

sea_mode

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2018, 02:18:07 PM »
Well it sinks that’s definitely part of the review  :) other then that it was really well built. Super solid and seemed to be the exact dimensions and build of the takuma foil (same factory). I can’t speak too much to it’s rideability as it’s the only one I’ve ever rode, but it’s quality was excellent.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2018, 06:36:32 PM »
So knowing this, and the pricing, I’m gonna say that you could lose 3of these before you really got close to even a used GoFoil (or other floater) price. As much as I like supporting good companies and good gear, that’s a tough step up for a working stiff to make.

I figure the $1 leash would get you a long way. ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal