Author Topic: Ninja, Fortnite, Twitch streaming, Redbull Esports, etc.  (Read 4295 times)

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
Ninja, Fortnite, Twitch streaming, Redbull Esports, etc.
« on: August 22, 2018, 02:52:21 AM »
We can get so focused on our lives, interests and micro sports that it is easy to miss the full reality of some rapidly developing trends.  I think we all have a generic understanding that gaming has been quicky escalating but I am sure that I am not alone in having missed parts of where it is today.

When you think of the time units that traditional and alternative sports are now competing for it is hard to avoid the impact that this ~140 billion dollar industry is having (across all demographic lines). 

Even so, it caught me off guard that fans are now logging in to watch pro players live stream as they play (through services like Twitch).    Top guys (I believe Ninja is the most renowned of these) are earning upwards of 500K a month from fans watching them play and donating to them.  These aren't competitions (that is a separate deal), they are essentially live streamed online pickup games.  The game of the moment is Fortnite.  We have successful teams, heavy sponsorship etc. 

Possibly most interesting is that the game, Fortnite is entirely free.  But players can opt to buy cosmetic skins for their characters (the skins have no impact on play) and it is pulling in about $300 Million a month.  Rest with that for a second :)

I am sure we have some players in our midst.  I think this is incredible and would love to know more about the scene.   

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Ninja, Fortnite, Twitch streaming, Redbull Esports, etc.
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2018, 06:39:46 AM »
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/11/20/how-to-get-rich-playing-video-games-online

good read on this from last dec--takeaway: interesting world to look at from way outside in the oldster bleachers!
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2018, 11:21:45 AM »
My wife would say that I'm addicted (and have been for a long time) to video games.  Of course, I wouldn't say that... so, yea, she's right. (I'm going through the 12 steps to get off this addiction now, so yea, bring on the surf...or any other diversion for that matter).  One of the first competitive online games was Diablo, where there were rankings of players playing various versions of the game.  I played countless hours for many years.  Starcraft, a Real Time Strategy game has tournaments in South Korea all the time, and it's still one of the most popular games worldwide more than a decade after release (I only dabbled).  World of Warcraft also has an annual world championship, worth millions to the winners.  I would conservatively estimate that I've played WoW for the better part of a full year (yes 9,000+ hours) or more of my life in the last 14. These are just the offerings from one game developer (Blizzard).

We had this discussion just the other day while driving, and the trend in E-Sports is definitely still rising.   Yea, the addiction thing is real.  The same commitment can be made to Call of Duty, Fortnite, even Minecraft. The income that can be made is also legit, but it comes at a price. 

The best players and teams are sponsored, and some have already made their fortunes.  The most popular YouTuber in the world is a game reviewer named PewDiePie (a tongue-in-cheek version of Shoot, Kill, Reward), and he's work many millions based on viewership alone.  For someone like me, the movie "Ready Player One" is a legitimate take on a dystopian future.  The depiction of a lazy populace in the movie "Wall-E" hits too close to home too.

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2018, 01:54:38 PM »
some ppl like to live indoor and that's ok but I like outdoor best  :)

goodfornothin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2018, 01:55:06 PM »
My 12 year old son plays and has been envited ton play with one of the better teams.  He watches all.the twitch stuff and im costantly gettinging dinged when ninja or some other pro is playing, haha.
My son is on twitch and has a few followers allready. They randomly give him money as well, its the strangest concept. 
He never misses a day of surf or polo practice, he has met a lot of cool kids through it and doing great in school. I say have at it. 

I suck at the game l, to many darn buttons.  My addiction is  Crash Royale, its a lot of fun

eDUBz

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2018, 09:08:19 PM »
We were in Texas for two weeks earlier this month visiting my in laws. We stayed
At
 My sister in laws for a week her husband went to work and straight to fornite the minute he walked in the door and posted on the couch til about midnight then off to
Bed and back to work in the am. He doesn’t get a dime just addicted. We had a blast outdoors paddling all the rivers, exploring and eating some good BBQ, not once did be join us.
@rf.boardworks

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2018, 09:31:11 PM »
I have four grandsons. Any further comment would be redundant--its exactly as you imagine.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2018, 02:24:20 AM »
It is pretty stunning when you realize the scale of involvement.  https://www.creativespot.com/strategic-marketing-in-action-red-bull-esports/

If it sounds like Red Bull invested heavily in a growing pocket of entertainment, then you’re understating the actual capital involved. Red Bull invested $578,000,000 in eSports. A half billion dollars may not sound like much, but reconsider the amount spent as capital spent last year alone (2015).

A lot of parents support it.  Some are helping there kids out with coaching https://www.wsj.com/articles/ready-aim-hire-a-fortnite-coach-parents-enlist-videogame-tutors-for-their-children-1533046708 .

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2018, 03:10:19 PM »
brainwash going on there.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2018, 06:43:09 PM »
Just came from a meeting discussing going to meet some of these companies to assist with managing their media from tournaments etc. we already do a gaming company but the esports stuff is going to be amazing from a data perspective.

Imagine a sporting event where everything is already in a computer. The data streams are staggering. Lay that over the video and you have the potential to change how we watch television as well. Layers upon layers of data and analytics to manage and display.

And yeah, it’s the Wild West as it’s all being invented on the fly. Fun stuff for sure.

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2018, 11:48:29 AM »
I sure live in a bubble, I  have no idea what you're talking about.
Ps, I  leave tomorrow for Baja with no internet or cell service for  2 weeks.  I will play a few games of Suduco though

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2018, 12:19:37 PM »
I sure live in a bubble, I  have no idea what you're talking about.
Ps, I  leave tomorrow for Baja with no internet or cell service for  2 weeks.  I will play a few games of Suduco though

No, not in a bubble. Or maybe I also live in a bubble. Because I can’t imagine a life where I sit inside and play games on a computer. I don’t care how much money is in it. Doesn’t appeal to me in the slightest and I have no interest in it.

One of my step brothers sons was into gaming. Don’t know how proficient he was, but I do know he didn’t have much of a life. Wasn’t motivated. Had a job but it was menial work. Had little to no social skills and almost no social life. I’m not saying all gamers are like this because I don’t know. Nor do I really care. Just not the type of lifestyle that would appeal to me.

Each to their own though.
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2018, 11:57:32 AM »
many people sit in front of computers all day for a livng...

not just gamers---prolly many of us reading this right now
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2018, 03:57:51 PM »
many people sit in front of computers all day for a livng...

not just gamers---prolly many of us reading this right now

your so right ;)

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2018, 04:01:23 PM »
I was as well astounded by the veiwership numbers and monetary amounts being generated in this new world.

Here is article delving into the world of IRL the newest extreme
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2018/07/09/ice-poseidons-lucrative-stressful-life-as-a-live-streamer

Although one part of me feels disturbed by this trend, it does have plus side.
If an increasing percentage of an increasing population decides to stay inside,
the nature I need to immerse myself in will not get more crowded.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal