Author Topic: Most surfable downwind board?  (Read 33708 times)

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Most surfable downwind board?
« Reply #120 on: August 31, 2018, 07:53:47 AM »
I am wondering if Supuk would "sell" the design, IFC drawings.....for another shaper to built with the same technique this side of the pond.
The more I think about it, the more I would like my next board post Vapor/Maliko to be a 16' along these lines. My wallet tells me that I am in no rush but would be good to have as an option.
I’ll ask. He shapes using a CNC so he probably has a file he could email. He made a 14ft version of that 12-6 which he said was “miles better” than the 12-6. I find that hard to imagine because that 12-6 was extraordinarily good, but if he said it, it will be true. That 12-6 is very light. He doesn’t use rail tape or tape his paddles, and just flings the board in the back of his van to travel, but there wasn’t even a mark on the rails, or anywhere else I could spot. My Vapor would have hardly any paint left on it if I treated it like that. So there’s a combination of extremely good design and extremely good construction (materials, method and skill) going on.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 31, 2018, 03:44:25 PM »
I am wondering if Supuk would "sell" the design, IFC drawings.....for another shaper to built with the same technique this side of the pond.
The more I think about it, the more I would like my next board post Vapor/Maliko to be a 16' along these lines. My wallet tells me that I am in no rush but would be good to have as an option.
I’ve asked him. He has said that some licensing agreement might be reached. So it’s certainly a possibility.

It’s such a shame that so many of the UL boards on sale now are dugouts. The flat deck ONE UL looks interesting though. But if you go much longer than 16 and I think it affects “surfability” unless you are a really heavy guy perhaps. I surfed the Naish 17 a lot, but it always felt like the extra foot was a hindrance when surfing, made quartering winds that much harder, added weight and drag in light wind situations, and didn’t really fully make up for these disadvantages downwind. I think a lot of the “UL DW boards are slow in flat water and upwind” mantra you often hear comes from the 17-4 Bullets which were made in a heavy double-carbon construction with heavy rudder systems, and were longer than most people could power up. Drop the length a foot, knock 10lbs of the weight, fit a fixed fin and it might have seemed like a very versatile “surfy” board. Or make a lighter, narrower fixed fin (with 2+1 setup ;) ) version of the F16. There is a place for these 17ft+ behemoths, but most people might prefer, as a day-to-day proposition, more of a compromise between current 14s and these huge complicated heavy ruddered boards.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #122 on: August 31, 2018, 07:05:37 PM »
For me is has to have some orange, period....maybe grey with large orange wave...

Here you go, Orange and Grey... you can paint the wave in between with a marker ;D
in progress...

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #123 on: August 31, 2018, 07:09:13 PM »
Well That would be cool to have the new 16' models on the North American market - the Supuk and the Burchas.
We just need a board maker that would accept to build these models on the West Coast with good quality material and techniques.
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #124 on: August 31, 2018, 07:19:05 PM »

Found any good builder yet? The way things are going, the number of good builders is
dwindling to an alarming low! just lost 2 of the more talented big board builders on the
east coast in the passing year alone to a more lucrative gigs.

This shit is scary! If the trend continues I may have to learn how to build my self, otherwise,
comes 2022 I may end up on a Starboard ::)
in progress...

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #125 on: August 31, 2018, 08:02:46 PM »
This shit is scary! If the trend continues I may have to learn how to build my self, otherwise,
comes 2022 I may end up on a Starboard ::)

Then your collection of fins is going to the bin, unless Starboard desist from their $%^&* idea of putting on their board a short finbox that does not accommodate anything...
Blackfish Paddles

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #126 on: September 01, 2018, 04:07:52 AM »
Wow!....very nice looking board. Looks like what I've been dreaming of for my next DW board. A little narrow for my unbalanced ass but other than that spot on.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 01, 2018, 12:21:29 PM »
Wow!....very nice looking board. Looks like what I've been dreaming of for my next DW board. A little narrow for my unbalanced ass but other than that spot on.
Thanks. And yeah, I think mine was the widest one he's made too! Here he is with a 17' x 23.5" version. It makes mine look portly!

Note the interesting fin possibilities.

Can you imagine surfing that on a head-high wave or bump???

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #128 on: September 01, 2018, 01:40:10 PM »
Nice stick, I'll take one.

PT Woody

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #129 on: September 02, 2018, 02:33:56 AM »
I would say the 14' Bayonet is the most comfortable 14' board I've ever attempted to surf.

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #130 on: September 02, 2018, 06:44:59 AM »
I would say the 14' Bayonet is the most comfortable 14' board I've ever attempted to surf.

I have finally seen one yesterday during one of our downwind. Briefly as it was not with people we knew and could not really ask to try it  :'(. I recognised it for a Bayonet but at first it looked liked a cross between a F14 and a Bullet 17 on the water. I had to come closer to really see that it was a Bayonet (the guy has driven to the USA to get it).
Blackfish Paddles

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 02, 2018, 11:20:07 AM »
I know that board.  Start on the easier V2 -> then progress to the Bayonet.  More technical so requires a higher skill set.  Very good for smaller bumps.  But not nearly as surfy as the round tailed M14 by any stretch.  This review is pretty accurate.

https://distressedmullet.com/2018/03/08/sic-bayonet-2018/
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: September 02, 2018, 01:04:32 PM »
Hi PT, hope you are having a good winter, with lots of DW. I’ve got two Qs for you. First, is the Bayonet a significantly better surfer than the Bullet 14V2? Cos the V2 is a fairly decent surfer, although not in the M14 category of excellence (and the M14 is nowhere as good as a Grey Paddleboards custom 14 DW board).

The second question is whether DJ is gonna sell his current Naish-yellow car and get a new one now that Naish have gone with a kinda knickerbocker glory colour scheme for 2019? :) :)

PT Woody

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #133 on: September 10, 2018, 07:19:57 PM »
Hi PT, hope you are having a good winter, with lots of DW. I’ve got two Qs for you. First, is the Bayonet a significantly better surfer than the Bullet 14V2? Cos the V2 is a fairly decent surfer, although not in the M14 category of excellence (and the M14 is nowhere as good as a Grey Paddleboards custom 14 DW board).

The second question is whether DJ is gonna sell his current Naish-yellow car and get a new one now that Naish have gone with a kinda knickerbocker glory colour scheme for 2019? :) :)

I haven't surfed the V2 Bullet but I just got my hands on a second hand one with steering. I suspect the steering tiller position will actually make surfing a little awkward but when I get a chance to take it out on waves, I'll let you know how it compares to the Bayonet.

We had a record Winter for windy days apparently but it was quite cruel in that all but two of the windy days occurred during the work week. It was like clockwork - as soon as the weekend came around, the wind stopped.

I'm not sure if DJ is planning to order a Paddle Pop coloured car or if people in the UK and USA even know what a Paddle Pop is  but it looks a lot like the new Naish colour scheme.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: September 11, 2018, 02:37:47 AM »
That’s funny :)

Nope, no idea what a Paddle Pop is.

IMO ditch the steering on the V2... pointless and awkward on a board like that where you are basically either all the way forward (for small bump catching) or all the way back (for big ones). Unless you have very particular DW conditions I think you’ll find it more trouble than it’s worth, and rudders make boards almost unsurfable, when surfing is half the fun of these ocean boards!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal