Author Topic: Why the zone has gone south  (Read 23584 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Why the zone has gone south
« Reply #75 on: November 06, 2018, 06:17:05 AM »
In my career as a marketer I saw firsthand the difference between companies that charged ahead during the inevitable market downturn and those who pulled back. Beyond survival vs. not (which was a big part of what I experienced) the companies that pushed hard in those times emerged with larger and persistent market share. It's tough to do, but the right thing often is, and it's obvious what the right strategy is if you look at the adoption curve for any business with a hype cycle. All sport markets are pure hype cycle. Where are your rollerblades? SUP had a suppressed upcycle because it was born in a recession. That was probably a good thing, at least we aren't seeing the stacks of crap boards in the dumpster behind the big box stores, or parking lot sales that wipe out the market for a few years.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 06:23:25 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 06, 2018, 07:41:12 AM »
I think the biggest problem on the zone is that the switch to ssl encryption (https:) devastated the pictures on the Hot Chicks thread.

When I switched Ponostyle over all my other sites started getting dramatically increased hacking attempts.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 07:43:50 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 06, 2018, 08:55:32 AM »
We're seeing the same cycle now with foiling. 

I can see the attraction to foiling, but I have no plans to jump on the bandwagon.  I enjoy SUP as my time on water sport, but I'm also an hour from where we surf so it's a weekend and vacation activity. I'm fortunate in that my wife is the better athlete, and we can also golf, cycle, hike and maybe still ski together, though it's been a while since we've hit the slopes. Gone are the days of competitive coed volleyball or basketball leagues, coaching, officiating and the like.  SUP is going to be with our family for a long time.

fatfish

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #78 on: November 06, 2018, 09:21:16 AM »
Crossing the chasm, wow that brings back memories. 

I am definitely a late adopter, probably a laggard.  I made fun of my friends who were early adopters, now 10 years later i am learning from them.  I picked up stand up as a means to stay active on the water and stumbled across the Zone.  the zone has been essential to my learning curve for SUS and now for foiling.  I am so stoked that my water crafts have expanded to cover more conditions, get me on the water more and more as i get older too.  Plus I have made some friends from here too.  The Zone is awesome.  It will probably be for the core consumer and the late adopters. 

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 06, 2018, 09:28:26 AM »
 I surf and paddle when I have time, and rarely plan to join up with anyone.

When I grow up I plan to be self disciplined and a buff grumpy old lone paddler too.

I'm 57 and still just a kid when it comes to fun outdoors. Buzzing by my pals places and knocking on their doors making them come out to play. Or being pulled out onto the lake by them just when I'm getting ready to wax my skis.

... and that's why I come here. To learn new tricks.

(OK, I'm an engineer so I do hit them up on our WhatsApp groups too)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 09:31:15 AM by yugi »

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 06, 2018, 10:17:44 AM »
I don’t know, nothing stays the same. We’re aging.
But this is the only spot pretty much on the internet where I interact with others.
It is very nice to contribute to the content but I have been some time without a camera so these days can only commet or link.

Or tell stories. Yesterday at Creeks favorite spot here, where Stoney’s favorite video was shot. One of the best sessions of my life.
10-4 Jeff Clark gun, large single fin +2” sides, 14’x10mm leash and two impact vests. Only a few waves in many hours due the crowd and the 10-15’ faces at 15s.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 06, 2018, 10:21:33 AM »
as with anything you want in life, gotta be willing to go it alone.......

love to surf with friends--but if i only surfed when friends were available, i'd surf about a tenth of the amt i do now

to disenhijack:

i am fine with the zone--it goes as it goes, sometimes busier than other times--sometimes political and testy, other times not

but in general we seem a nice bunch, with some differences, but with a lot of common issues and concerns---and a sum total of lots of knowledge, re sup, but also other curious shit

and i take it or leave it, read what i feel like----what's not to like? and just dont read that part if you dont like something

the shortage of women is a concern, and we may put women off, even where we dont intend, but most alleged male posters seem pretty progressive re that too--like we intend well, at least---and women who do jump in are always treated properly---if not, id bet some here would not tolerate, might even get angry......like i can think of one very large guy who would not suffer poor treatment of women!

but, for me, the zone is the zone, and it aint broken--it's just ebbing and flowing

Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #82 on: November 06, 2018, 12:26:45 PM »
Compare the zone to pretty much any other social media....nuff said. It's not perfect but it's still better than most.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

oceanAddict

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #83 on: November 06, 2018, 05:49:41 PM »
whoa..

How did I miss it? 6 pages of reading because of my sig? Oh well...

I think, Derek, you got your answer in my reply to your PM. Let me repeat again if you still didn't get it - I found it funny when someone tried to be internet police on a public forum. I even forgot about my sig a long time ago but looks like it worked.  Let me remind you of the topic in question  - new Infinity models.  I made a comment using meme  "it's worthless without pic" and you went on and on, told me where to post etc.  Even back then a few people suggested to you to take a chill pill; then you asked me about it why did I do that, and now you made a post about it. Do you know me? Do you know my interests? Is this your forum? So why whining?  or should I just say FO and move on? whatever dude, I like it here, I'm gaining knowledge and sharing my excitement here, so I'm gonna post here you like or not.  Don't get butthurt, OK? there is always ignore button.

p.s. btw I've got a Blackfish and love it.

Kirill
Infinity Blackfish, SIC Bullet Air Glide, Sunova Point Break #003, Sunova Soul

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #84 on: November 07, 2018, 02:23:16 AM »
In my career as a marketer I saw firsthand the difference between companies that charged ahead during the inevitable market downturn and those who pulled back. Beyond survival vs. not (which was a big part of what I experienced) the companies that pushed hard in those times emerged with larger and persistent market share. It's tough to do, but the right thing often is, and it's obvious what the right strategy is if you look at the adoption curve for any business with a hype cycle. All sport markets are pure hype cycle. Where are your rollerblades? SUP had a suppressed upcycle because it was born in a recession. That was probably a good thing, at least we aren't seeing the stacks of crap boards in the dumpster behind the big box stores, or parking lot sales that wipe out the market for a few years.

Interesting images - thanks for these.

One thing I would say is that one of the things also liable to end this sport early (as far as competing goes) is the artificial annual R&D cycles that some big brands are still using coupled with little effort to create a durable longer lasting product or to keep the costs manageable. It's spiralling out of control and I'm looking at each board purchase now from a secondhand perspective and as being my last one each time.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #85 on: November 07, 2018, 04:07:06 AM »
We're seeing the same cycle now with foiling. 

I can see the attraction to foiling, but I have no plans to jump on the bandwagon.  I enjoy SUP as my time on water sport, but I'm also an hour from where we surf so it's a weekend and vacation activity. I'm fortunate in that my wife is the better athlete, and we can also golf, cycle, hike and maybe still ski together, though it's been a while since we've hit the slopes. Gone are the days of competitive coed volleyball or basketball leagues, coaching, officiating and the like.  SUP is going to be with our family for a long time.

Foiling is different because it takes time to learn.  Mass appeal is based on having your instructor move you to the intermediate group on your second lesson and advanced at the end of your one week clinic :).  Rollerblading, Snowboarding, Wakesurfing, SUP all have immediacy on their side.  We have an odd group here that participates with a frequency that is a statistical blip.  We have access to conditions, suitable funds, and have the time to spend weeks or months fiddling with gear, working out techniques, and frustrating ourselves for pleasure.  Those same elements limit foiling for SUP.  Very cool, but a blip.

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 07, 2018, 05:12:40 AM »
...the shortage of women is a concern...

'nuff sed

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 07, 2018, 05:26:55 AM »
In my career as a marketer I saw firsthand the difference between companies that charged ahead during the inevitable market downturn and those who pulled back. Beyond survival vs. not (which was a big part of what I experienced) the companies that pushed hard in those times emerged with larger and persistent market share.

Very true.

I worked at Logitech through the mouse success and then though a few sound and imaging attempts. Learned a lot from the failures and the hits. It's pretty easy to spot. It's based on need.

One company really impressed me [I didn't work there]:
After the financial crash of 2008: 50% of banking staff were laid off in London. Restaurants were empty for a couple of years. During this time Bloomberg, who's revenues were massively down as banks had more than 50% reduced their subscriptions, were quietly hiring all the best developers. Not because it made sense financially, but because for that short time period the best developers were available. One day they would need them again. They used that opportunity to snap them up.

So smart. Keeping the eye on the goal and being visionary, even while the CFO is whining. It's called investing smart.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 05:42:03 AM by yugi »

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #88 on: November 07, 2018, 06:40:36 AM »
Yugi.... the other thing Bloomberg did was revive Business Week in 2009*.  Rather than a staid old 'business magazine' they have pumped a lot of life into it.  Perhaps because I don't imagine a boogie-man behind every door —I wait 'till they go BOO!— I do not see Michael Bloomberg's personal opinion/politics directly evident.

Jim

*probably a good year to acquire some assets. I looked up a radio report, that stuck in my head, about a young girl buying a foreclosure. 

https://www.npr.org/sections/money/2012/03/09/148218539/this-14-year-old-girl-just-bought-a-house-in-florida?sc=fb&cc=fp
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #89 on: November 07, 2018, 08:15:55 AM »
My relationship with the Zone ebbs and flows. I really like the people here, but the high-end conversations like foiling, the latest and greatest raceboard leaves me cold. I'm more of a get on the water with what I have than focused on the latest technology. I always get nervous that the high-end stuff will lead to a "windsurfing effect" with more people getting turned off by the difficulty of the sport. I'm more interested in the latest Bic or NSP cruiser than whatever carbon beast is winning races.

On the other hand, it is interesting to see the trends.
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal