Author Topic: Talldude's daily paddle in the ocean out of Dana Point, Ca.  (Read 7450 times)

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Talldude's daily paddle in the ocean out of Dana Point, Ca.
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2018, 05:33:07 PM »

That was a good one Talldude!

I'm probably ten years into sup surfing but have never made the jump to the longer sup's and downwinders.  I take my 12 foot PSH gun for longer paddles sometimes but never very long.

If I did get into training ocean paddles I would perform them similar to you.  Thanks for posting! 

All things considered...Would you say that your paddling 3 times a week and sup surfing have kept you in good shape?  I don't like gyms and much prefer being outside sup surfing , bike riding or soft sand walking.  I do some yoga and stretching at home...basically try and mix it up.

Your video interests me because this summer (I live near Pismo Beach) has been unusually busy and very crowded.  Many times I would just bag it and go for a bike ride when I could have gone for a ocean training sup workout.  When crowded I'm still able to find a few launching areas where I live that are still relatively hidden and I could find a place to park.
I've got a number of spots I launch from to do distance paddles, but I live literally a mile an a half from the Baby Beach 'free' parking lot. I can be in the water in five minutes from my house. So it's by far the most convenient launch for me. Lots of options and directions I can go from there. My other favorite is launching off the beach and SanO. I'll typically paddle my 14' Hobie when I paddle there because I can surf it as well. I'll paddle north and check out Trestles (just watch the groms rip it up) and continue up to Seal Rock which is an 8 mile round trip. Or I'll head south down to Trail 6, but when ever I head south I know I'm going to be grinding it out into the wind on the way back in the late morning. Then I'll bring my sup surfboard too and surf at Dogpatch. Other times I'll launch at North Beach on my 11'6 Naish Nalu or my 10' Coreban Icon and troll all the breaks south past the pier in San Clemente. Haven't done that in a while.

As for the workout aspect.... Distance SUP and training for racing has been the best for my core, upper body, and endurance, but riding my mountain bike and /or just walking the hills and beach is what strengthens my legs. When my legs are strong, that just translates into stronger more balanced paddling. I mean noticeably stronger surfing and balancing on narrower boards. Because I usually ski in the winter, I train for that as well. So my legs are stronger for those winter swells. I had a membership at 24hr fitness since the day they opened. It was $9.95 / per month forever. They hated that they couldn't change that. Once CapoBeachBoy roped me into sup and sup racing, the gym membership never got used. After never going for 4 years, I decided to cancel the membership. Never regretted it.

I have the greatest gym right down the street, and it doesn't require a membership. No TV's or sweat smell. In fact, usually no body around but Sea Life. Always fresh air, and some mental relief from the hectic world............as long as I stay away from the lineup ::) 
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

lopezwill

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2018, 07:19:37 PM »

Great report Talldude!

Thanks.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2018, 07:31:15 PM »
That was great.  You're commentary reminded me a lot of my own thoughts/techniques for dealing with chop. I get into a rhythm too. I liked the tour. I should do one for Plymouth.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2018, 07:49:17 PM »
That was great.  You're commentary reminded me a lot of my own thoughts/techniques for dealing with chop. I get into a rhythm too. I liked the tour. I should do one for Plymouth.
I wasn't sure if my rambling was going to make sense to anyone. I glad someone else shares my thoughts on technique. I'm headed your way next week Stoney. A little south of you. My daughter is heading to the east coast for college, and we are moving her into her dorm next week. We are happy for her, yet sad for us. Seems I was just pushing her in a swing...... It looks like I'll be making a number of trips that way over the coming years. I'll have to hook up with you right coasters for a surf and paddle session one of these trips. 
It's not overhead to me!

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2018, 04:47:09 AM »
i did the same, td--my eldest went all the way west for college--and i got nice sessions in SC when out there with her--what state will she be in?

takeaway from me re your routine is that you must have seen serious sea life (maybe some sea lice too-haha) over some 8 years, 3 days a week paddling out into the ocean............

and then there's the fact that, just standing there, you have the view most of us need a fishing tower to get
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2018, 07:28:27 AM »
Def get together....plan a zoner party. Looking forward to meeting..

Feel your pain with the college bound daughter leaving home....though mine stayed pretty close.

Our paddles are pretty similar. I'm finally back to paddling it 2-3 times a week myself. I think of the water as my gym too (that and landscaping  :P). 
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2018, 09:04:12 AM »
Great video TD. Commentary almost sounded like you dubbed it in later it was so relaxed and well planned.

I thank God every visit that my daughter stayed in Santa Barbara after graduating from Westmont. On our visit this last Saturday, we went and did an ankle to knee high session along Isla Vista, saw my share of seals and leopard sharks, and just had a fantastic morning with my wife. We were out solo for most of the morning, and even though the surf could have been bigger, the relaxing session was just what the doctor ordered.  TD captured that relaxing groove perfectly in this vid.

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2018, 09:46:21 AM »
So nice to watch this video, TD. Really takes you out there.   
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2018, 07:52:15 AM »
GREAT video
My son use to Run Adventura Sailing Charters there in DP
I've done that paddle (sort of) as I always get pulled into the surf breaks right outside the harbor
I use to keep the best surfing raceboard right there (Fanatic Falcon)
Fond memories Thanks

JimK
Extreme Windsurfing

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2018, 08:42:43 AM »
Oh yes, thank you, thank you, and thank you. That was wonderful.

The one board I’ve yet to touch, the one missing from my quiver. And with it - a beautiful tour, an instructional video, a stoke feeder... 

That Baby beach is a charm. With all the water activities, small size, calm water entry to open ocean, and then as if not perfect enough, the island music brothers!

Although I don’t do it enough or regularly (your condition is impressive as you are still talking without stress long past what I could do) on the days with no surf I do grab one of my two biggest longboards and flatwater. I love it. Upwind about 1-2 miles either left or right paralleling the straight coast here and then back. I probably never get more than a half mile out.

I think your vid may inspire me to put a little more effort and venture further to a more interesting harbor and rocky coast set up south of me, St Jean du Luz.
And one of these days an open ocean race board. The glide must be wonderful.

So next time I’m out in Los Angeles I know where I’m headed to.

Oh yea TallDude, it seems as if there still might be some more vid laying around from that day for a part 2. If you’ve every got some time to kill....

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2018, 10:03:26 AM »
Oh yes, thank you, thank you, and thank you. That was wonderful.

Oh yea TallDude, it seems as if there still might be some more vid laying around from that day for a part 2. If you’ve every got some time to kill....

You're killing me dude. I get it. I have lots of closed out shore pounds from past winter swells ;D
It's not overhead to me!

SouthCounty

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2018, 11:27:58 AM »
Great video, that is my home town spot, as much as I've been paddling their lately I've yet to go out in open ocean, to be honest I'm a little scared lol. I did demo a 14 Infinity blackfish yesterday which i totally fell in love with, it was 14x27, felt pretty good in the harbor but thinking a 28" would be more stable in the open ocean if i ever get out ;) Anyhow great video
14' x 27" Infinity blackfish
10'4 Infinity wide aquatic
14 x 24.5 Infinity blackfish dugout

Bulky

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2018, 03:14:57 PM »
Thanks, TD.  I do very much the same thing most mornings up here in SB.  As much as I love the surf, there's something about getting way out there all by myself in the massive swells.  Maybe I'll get inspired and do my own video sometime.

I've been trying not to look too much at ULs but I imagine it must be a marked difference.  Do you still take it out on messy days or do you take a 14?
Santa Barbara, CA

SIC RS 14x24.5
Infinity Blackfish 14'
Naish Glide 14' (2012)
SupSports Hammer 8'11
Starboard WidePoint 10'5
Ke Nalu Mana, Konihi, Maliko

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2018, 03:48:56 PM »
SouthCounty--Try it.  If going to the buoy Talldude takes about is too much, try paddling south.
Every day is different.  Go see what you can do.

SouthCounty

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2018, 05:31:32 PM »
SouthCounty--Try it.  If going to the buoy Talldude takes about is too much, try paddling south.
Every day is different.  Go see what you can do.
I will try it soon, at least to the first buoy ;) I have a neighbor who paddles out like TD does he's been trying to get me to go, if not maybe ill follow TD to first one and back lol
14' x 27" Infinity blackfish
10'4 Infinity wide aquatic
14 x 24.5 Infinity blackfish dugout

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal