Author Topic: Fishing set up for a Stand Up  (Read 3316 times)

toolate

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Fishing set up for a Stand Up
« on: August 18, 2018, 03:40:15 PM »
Went out today in Hawaii. Wasnt really prepared and had 25 knot winds and 2-4 foot surf so a bit tricky for a novice to say the least...
Had my spinning rod tucked into my board shorts...
I am on a 10.5 glass board that i would prefer not to ruin in order to modify...

Any advice on rod holders, ways to strap down cooler would be greatly appreciated

toolate

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Fishing set up for a Stand Up
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2018, 03:52:24 PM »
would add that it is an older starboard drive and has sscrew holes in teh deck for the windsurf mast step option....
however i suspect that location would be not optimum for rod holder

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2018, 04:59:48 PM »
Instead of tucking your fishing rod in your board shorts, I would suggest a wade fishing belt with rod (rocket) holders. I used a wade fishing belt when I was saltwater wade fishing for flounder.

You can wear it while you're paddling to your fishing spot and then fish while standing on your board. If the water is shallow enough, you can step off your board and wade fish.

Take a look at the video below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GECpgVOhCjc

As for a cooler, a cooler strapped to a sup is going to act like a sail and if the wind is up, you'll wear yourself out trying to paddle where the cooler wants to go instead of where you want to go. In other words, you'll be at the mercy at the direction of the wind where it is blowing towards.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2018, 06:40:06 PM »
There's a whole group of paddlers that fish almost everyday right outside the lineup in the L41.

Just the basic set up and it seems to work.

This is Rick Duckart. He catches a lot of fish.

oceanAddict

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2018, 09:14:59 PM »
Went out today in Hawaii. Wasnt really prepared and had 25 knot winds and 2-4 foot surf so a bit tricky for a novice to say the least...
Had my spinning rod tucked into my board shorts...
I am on a 10.5 glass board that i would prefer not to ruin in order to modify...

Any advice on rod holders, ways to strap down cooler would be greatly appreciated

When I tried fishing off SUP, I used a small backpack where I would stick my spinning rod, a bottle of water, tackle box and old cast iron window weight that I used as an anchor. After two " trips"/attempts I realized that I wanna keep paddling and fishing as separate activities and got myself a fishing yak...
Infinity Blackfish, SIC Bullet Air Glide, Sunova Point Break #003, Sunova Soul

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2018, 08:48:32 AM »
I haven't fished from my SUP for a couple of years, but I was very active at it for a few years. I never bothered to do anything more complicated than a lanyard to the rod tied to a stick-on tiedown from NSI. I did all catch and release, so didn't bother with a cooler. If I did I'd tie it on with NSI loops. Excellent product.

The biggest advantage of SUP fishing is seeing the fish. A kayak is the same as any boat, the angle of vision is too low to sight cast. The only reason I was so successful was I could see the fish that boat guys couldn't, and could move toward them without a lot of fuss. I didn't anchor even though the White Salmon River is pretty fast flowing. Caught a zillion Cohos, a few Chinook, and one steelhead.

Nightwings wade belt looks like a hell of a good idea.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2018, 10:42:32 AM »
Aloha toolate,
We've built a number of SUPs with built-in tie-downs for fishing accessories...
In fact, we were the first to do it...working with Sean Ordonez back in the early modern days of standup in 2005/2006, I had the prototypes for our "Big Red" and "Big Blue" SUPs...the first production SUPs in the world...provisioned with foot strap inserts on the nose for fishing baskets and dry bags...also, on the rails for handles...etc...

A few years later, we switched to leash plug inserts...which we still use today...we're building a Hammer for Paul in Florida that is decked out with a bunch of tie-downs for fishing...

There are a number of aftermarket socket balls that can be clamped onto the insert pins for rod holders...etc...we've also used the RAM mounts...etc...

You may have luck with some of the peel & stick options on the market...but, if you want a secure connection to your gear, I would recommend these more permanent solution(s)...

Here's some pics...hope it helps...

Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

toolate

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2018, 08:57:41 PM »
Wow: thanks everyone for these excellent suggestions and sharing the photos...
this forum is a great place to learn! :)

I see photos of mounts more to the front of the board...just wondering if the rod and rig dont get in the way of the paddling?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2018, 11:59:07 AM »
I completely forgot about how I fished in Maui. I made a box out of PVC pipe that I could stick a milk case into with bungees to keep it in place and stuffed everything into that, like wardog's example. Tied it down to some leash plugs I added to my 12'6" starboard. Way up front it doesn't interfere with anything. Bouncing jigs on the reef is very productive, and you can see what you're doing so I didn't lose many jigs.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

baddog

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2018, 08:55:06 AM »
There's a whole group of paddlers that fish almost everyday right outside the lineup in the L41.

Just the basic set up and it seems to work.

This is Rick Duckart. He catches a lot of fish.

That ain't no 25 knots and 2-4 feet of surf... :)  Seriously, I wouldn't even go out in those conditions (Hawaii, not Cali) and a box and rod holders would be ridiculous.

Buy a hand line spool with a couple of shock cord leaders, heavy mono to a flouro leader, connect it your leash cup and your favorite trolling lure and paddle away.  Pray you don't catch something really big!  A line cutter and / or a velcro release to your leash cup can't hurt.

* Recent Posts

post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
April 15, 2024, 01:37:51 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal