Author Topic: Anglefoil  (Read 9338 times)

Surfside

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Anglefoil
« on: August 18, 2018, 03:27:52 PM »

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Anglefoil
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2018, 05:03:32 PM »
It does. And if it works better and catches on we can all install another set of plate mounts in front of the mount we have, or just sell all our gen 1 foil equipment. ;).

This sport is crazy to watch.

I like the way it seems he’s moving things but man the angles look even higher stepress than a straight foil.

Beasho, what say you?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2018, 07:38:56 PM »
I like it, it makes sense too. I'm going to model it in Fusion 360 and rotate the stuff to see what the dynamics are. If nothing else the wing and stabilizer are moving in ellipses when the board is pitched and turned. That oughta do sumpin'
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2018, 10:25:52 PM »
We foil regularly with Ron Stack the inventor of these "angledfoils", and he has lots of experience with foils from his air chair, and wake board foil fame...and did this angled foil concept on his wake boards back almost 20 years ago...
Ron’s next board was the best one I have ever ridden. He thought that having the foil mounted under his rear foot was making him work too hard. His back leg got tired quickly, and it was not the right positioning to control the board equally with both feet. He thought it would be much better to mount the foil between the feet. But because the wings still needed to be under the rear foot, he slanted the t-bar at a 45-degree angle. He used a fiberglass front wing, and lighter weight aluminum for the foil assembly. The foil worked great and it was the lightest air board either of us had ever ridden. I rode for many hours on that board, training to use it for the 1999 World’s Greatest Skier Competition at Cypress Gardens.

Several months he started talking about trying it for a surf foil, and has now making his own angled mast/fuselage combo that he fits to Go Foils wings of various sizes.

Moving the mast mounting point further up on the board changes the pivot point from under the rear foot to between both feet, which make it turn much more responsive, and quicker than the mast/pivot point further back on the the board...but the front wing in the exact same spot relative to the board and surfer on both....
https://www.instagram.com/p/BmoDtyZlXyM/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link
...centers everything under the rider, and not the wing under rider but mast under rear foot which makes it feel more "shortboard" surf like, and not the more cruiser, longer carver longboard turns the straight mast foils feel like.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 10:36:51 PM by SanoSlatchSup »
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

Surfside

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2018, 07:33:29 AM »
Hmmm, Dave Daum design?

toejammer2

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2018, 11:11:25 AM »
Wow. Any links to buy one?
Cheers!

frenchfoiler

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2018, 11:19:58 AM »
Interesting.

Surfside

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2018, 11:42:34 AM »
Cheers!

Not that I'm aware of. Might give Dave a call..... https://www.kingspaddlesports.com/collections/foils

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2018, 11:44:41 AM »
Hmmm, Dave Daum design?
In the clip from top down...
Dave Daum board (6'6"x28")
Ron Stack "angledfoil" mast/fuselage
Alex Aguera Go Foil Iwa front wing, and stabilizer.

Hope that helps.

Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2018, 11:51:19 AM »
Cheers!
You can DM "angledfoils" at instagram...
angledfoils
Interested in a angled mast for your current wings? Or a complete set up using gofoil or kingspaddlesports wings ? Let me know check @airboomron too!
....or PM me, and I'll have Ron get in contact with you...or Dave Daum can put you in touch with him as well.

He has several left in stock as sets or individual mast/fuselage...

Fishman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2018, 01:28:10 PM »
Boy that just looks smart.

I don't know the math but wouldn't this angle require some extra reinforcement at the attachment point on the board?
SupSurfMachine 9'9" longboard
SupSurfMachine  8'2" funboard

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2018, 08:17:36 PM »
Fishman, I thought that too. I’m betting it varies with what’s going on but generally I’d think that it’d be pulling on those front bolts pretty hard. Pono will tell us.

808sup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2018, 09:13:21 PM »
Horue foils are made like that.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QjUbbtSNR3Q

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2018, 09:54:59 PM »
Boy that just looks smart.

I don't know the math but wouldn't this angle require some extra reinforcement at the attachment point on the board?
Not so far. :)

Been several months on the board in the clip above, with I'm not gonna (can't even) guess how many hours of use on it, and the attachments look like the first day he threw it on. But still relatively new all things considered so time will tell.

But my question to both you, and surfcowboy....
Fishman, I thought that too. I’m betting it varies with what’s going on but generally I’d think that it’d be pulling on those front bolts pretty hard. Pono will tell us.
...is why do you believe there'd be anymore pressure(s) against the attachments, when the "angle of incidence" (thanks Robert), and the "angle of attack" of the wing is unchanged...and the thought that there is less drag on/from the angled mast than the vertically upright one?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 10:00:37 PM by SanoSlatchSup »

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2018, 09:59:17 PM »
Horue foils are made like that.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QjUbbtSNR3Q
Interesting, but not really "like that"....

Angled yes, but in the other direction, and the rider's rear foot is still completely on top of the mast (pivot point).

But looks cool, and curious if anyone knows Horue's thoughts or theories behind angling it forward like that?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal