Author Topic: Fly the Wing - Take off the Stabilizer  (Read 12272 times)

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Fly the Wing - Take off the Stabilizer
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2018, 10:48:31 PM »
I have been guessing that a KAI rear wing with my IWA front wing would be just about perfect.  I swear that I can feel that it has too much rear stabilizer, but I can't really explain why I think that.  The benefit would be a reduction in drag, which should make it a little easier to stay up on the foil and also easier to pump.

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2018, 04:44:41 AM »
In a week or so I may have more to say about this thread.  Experimenting with making a new tail wing/stabilizer.  The answer on whether or not the stabilizer produces any propulsion may finally get answered.  The reason they call them stabilizers is cause they.......................stabilize.  Big or small, that's up to the preference of each rider.  Maybe we need more experimentation with positive lift stabilizers (in the works) that would actually make it easier to keep the foil from broaching at high speeds.   Too much fun!

norcom

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2018, 07:19:48 AM »
I think this is an interesting idea for the rear stabilizer. Less drag and more power?

https://www.instagram.com/p/BlzVoESgAAP/

Fishman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2018, 10:39:58 AM »
I think this is an interesting idea for the rear stabilizer. Less drag and more power?

Now we are in the ball park.

It's a horizontal stabilizer when flying but it's a fin when swimming and pumping is smimming.
 Any feedback as to how that works?
SupSurfMachine 9'9" longboard
SupSurfMachine  8'2" funboard

norcom

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2018, 12:23:35 PM »
Now we are in the ball park.

It's a horizontal stabilizer when flying but it's a fin when swimming and pumping is smimming.
 Any feedback as to how that works?

Not much details. Saw it on kiteforum http://kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=196&t=2400362

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2018, 04:40:27 PM »
Great pictures!  I've been busy building a flexible carbon tail fin for the same purpose.  I'll send pics when done.  Really not sure how it will work and will grind off the flexible portion if it doesn't.  Would love to hear what those folks thought about those rigs.  The tail section of your foil does move up and down with speed and force, we might as well put that energy to good use.  Other than making the foil a little more dangerous, it may offer just enough propulsion to make the risk worth it.  I can't wait to try it.  It probably will also increase stability.  We'll see.

sharksupper

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2018, 07:59:58 PM »

Looks like Lift Foils already has one in production:  http://www.mackiteboarding.com/lift-foils-classic-wing-170-fish/

Instragram video link:  https://www.instagram.com/p/BmOL2Y4AlJ4/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Hard to find any pictures or info about it though.  Interesting concept.

SURFFOILS

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2018, 03:22:46 AM »
I like 3 things about this progression.

It shows that you can foil on a single foil.
 That you can use a reverse aspect foil. That is a long but not wide foil.
You can use a thin Un-foiled foil.

Oddly all 3 things that weren’t accepted a year ago.

There must be someone who’s been foiling on single, long, unfoiled foils before now  ?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 03:28:51 AM by SURFFOILS »

Surfside

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2018, 04:54:32 AM »
Beasho, impressive! What about using innegra/carbon for a small flex fin?

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2018, 07:37:34 PM »
Surf foils I almost paged you lol.

This is exactly what you were saying a year ago. Turns out it just took Beasho to try it. One of your longer delta wings would totally do this.

I’m feeling better and starting back on my repairs. Maybe I’ll get around to a test rig. Now that we know weight doesn’t matter really a plywood mock up might be the way to quickly test this.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2018, 03:59:03 AM »
I have been guessing that a KAI rear wing with my IWA front wing would be just about perfect.  I swear that I can feel that it has too much rear stabilizer, but I can't really explain why I think that.  The benefit would be a reduction in drag, which should make it a little easier to stay up on the foil and also easier to pump.

The ideal size makes a difference. Some GoFoil team riders have custom stab sizes.

SURFFOILS

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2018, 06:07:27 AM »

Hi SCB, thanks for the thought. I knew people would remember what I’d posted.
 I got tired of posting the future for the new foil generation but figured you’d all get there eventually.
 The current popular  Kai style foils , hi aspect, thick foiled foils are perfect for out on the shoulder but are very unstable the closer you get to the steep part of a wave.

The breakthrough is that now people see that a thin low aspect foil works and gives exceptional pitch stability making it the easiest foil to ride in normal surfing waves. You can ride a foil only 13 inches wide in the surf which makes it a lot safer.
 The longer foils are highly suitable for real surfing.

But you’ve heard all this from me last year so let me give you another prediction....

The new long rear foils seen on this thread will prove to be ultra stable and then the front foil will follow suit, eventually reducing in width but become longer. So then you’ll have a long single front foil that does away with the rear foil and fuselage altogether. It will prove to be very stable , safer and easier to make.
 And you get faster speed from a single foil that’s not adding drag at the rear foil and making you fight to hold it down with front foot pressure. ( as Beasho said )

I’ll drop back in next year and see how it’s going.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 06:14:13 AM by SURFFOILS »

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2018, 10:06:14 AM »
And you get faster speed from a single foil that’s not adding drag at the rear foil and making you fight to hold it down with front foot pressure. ( as Beasho said )

I am looking forward to trying foils like this.  In shoulder+ and especially in overhead waves I struggle to keep the wing down, and after a high speed ejection I am reluctant to try for another set wave.  Seems like there will be a lot more big changes in foil designs, stoked to see what shows up!
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2018, 11:14:40 AM »
What was old is new again...pic and link to a project presented in the 1960's:

https://www.swaylocks.com/forums/how-to-build-your-own-surfcraft-hydrofoil?page=21
http://pushheretosavealife.com/
Be safe, have fun. -J

SURFFOILS

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2018, 01:44:01 PM »
Clay, There’s a bit of a trade off with the Kai type foils being great out on the shoulder but jumpy in real waves. You could detune it but that would add even more drag.
It’s easier to make a purpose built Surf Foil dedicated to riding steep faces, bottom turns and tube riding and that’s what the long foils do.

JRandy, yes it’s clear a lot of foil design work has already been done. Theres still a lot of design work to figure out how to comfortably ride a hollow tube with 1/2 the foil out of the wave like this.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 01:45:36 PM by SURFFOILS »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal