Author Topic: This is why I hate SUP..  (Read 4454 times)

BrownSugah

• Malibu Status
  • Like Pahhtay wit me ?
    • View Profile
    • Email
This is why I hate SUP..
« on: August 15, 2018, 09:33:06 PM »
All these companies flooding the market makes it hard to sell second hand and then just perpetuates the “sups are dangerous in the line up” narrative. People miss out on the right board by going for the cheapest thing... SUP should be seen as a tool not a toy or quick money grab for a “board company”......
ALOHA

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
Re: This is why I hate SUP..
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2018, 09:27:00 AM »
"makes it hard to sell second hand..."   The people shopping there are not prospects for fancy, high-label boards.  They're no more dangerous in the lineup than a kook from silicon valley with the most expensive, custom shape. ('lots of those people don't last long   ...around here, you don't see them after a couple of times)

Maybe you overpaid Sug.  Maybe your boards did not 'review' well or are dated. Most hardcore SUP, I would guess, don't want old stuff - when there's new from their favorite shaper.   There is 2016, Naish inventory still unsold.   It may all be a sign that you need to adjust your expectations to a new reality. 

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2018, 09:40:31 AM »
my new reality: brooklyn blowout prices or not, aint no buyers---

seems there may be more sups floating around for sale (used and new) than there are riders--prolly the market remains for the next new thing, but last year's thing may not find much interest, even offered cheap, second hand

and i think that, of those who had potential to find there way to supping, most are already among us and well-equipped--like me--wanna buy a board??
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

supsurf-tw

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2018, 10:40:57 AM »
OP makes no sense
Boards:

8-10 x 31 Egg
8-11 X 32 Double wing Fangtail Tom Whitaker
8-6 X 30 1\2  Inbetweener Tom Whitaker
8-4 x 30 Hyper quad Tom Whitaker (wife's now)
8-4 X 31 1\4.  Round (wide) Diamond Tail Quad Tom Whitaker
 9-4 X 30 1\2. Swallow Stinger Quad Tom Whitaker (ex wifes now)
10-0 Brusurf for teach

Roundhouse

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2018, 01:43:09 PM »
The SUP market took about 5 years longer to saturate than I expected.
Naish Nalu, Mana, Glide & Cannibal Assassin

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2018, 02:00:27 PM »
yup, our market here in oz is flooded with sup too.

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2018, 02:09:21 PM »
This is an interesting article and I agree with it mostly.  SUP is still growing but most of the growth is in low end, cheap boards and inflatables. 

https://rapidmedia.com/adventurekayak/categories/skills/8996-the-future-of-sup.html

Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2018, 02:13:26 PM »
My thoughts on the SUP industry and foiling are in this video starting at 7:34

https://youtu.be/-OiZUEQN0Io?t=7m34s
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2018, 10:55:03 AM »
Before I watch Robert's video, I wanted to drop another thought.  In the States anyway, it's Robert, Creek/Sunnova, Warren -including a few CA shapers who now seem quiet- that do/did not treat the market as a multi-level marketing scheme with warehouses of product distributed around the planet.*  R-C/S-W may never get big numbers but they seem to be able to build ...and then present, in Robert's and Creek's case, their product in the best possible light, from many angles ...with virtually no reliance on 'podiums'.  (..how many times have you seen someone make a 14' board aspirational in a 2', f'ing wave!?)

People who wear F1 apparel and idolize a driver ..or a basketball player, sit on their asses.  We buy this C'hit to use. I want to feel like I could actually talk to the people who shaped and made my boards. (controlled the making anyway...) I want a 'connection' to my purchase and it does not include idol worship  ..or thought control by someone who's got old inventory to move.

Jim

*I watched MISTRAL who had a massive warehouse outside Baltimore full of tons of product.  I'd go there ..and in their version of pre-2008 ...they were even getting into shoes. They ruled the World     

...for a bit

I did read that one link...  C'mon!   The C4 guy complaining about "because of all the flyby- night, (sic) quick-start discount brands.".  Dude, you gave it away.  You were the inspiration.  C4 did teeny, grainy videos talking about your shapes, etc.., like Robert or Bert.   You had Edmund Hilary, 'original explorer', credits ...that appear to have been pissed away.  (I had a C4 for a short period..)

That nice young fellow, Kai Lenny, is still above the clouds where it never rains.

"Right now the industry is facing Armageddon...."  You can read the rant yourself, but some of these people seem to think they have opened a mosque in Saudi with no competition allowed.  Dude, it's a business, not a religion.

Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2018, 11:56:18 AM »
Welcome to the real world BrownSugah, this is what happens with almost every new sports "toy" that hits the public, it's nothing new or unique to SUP.  And yes, it's a toy, not a tool, tools are things that are made for people to make things and/or make money, not too many people out there using SUP boards for making money, but they do use tools to make them.
"The one with the most toys wins".
It takes a quiver to do that.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2018, 03:50:11 PM »
From the first paragraph of the article....
Is the Hydrofoil Revolution real?

It’s highly technical, so it may be here to stay but only among a small crowd of expert athletes. As to its appeal to the mass market, that’s tough to see. Even though the thought of higher gliding speeds and no chop resonate with nearly every paddler, the fine-tuning of equipment and the hours required to become competent will likely halt growth. —Andre Niemeyer, Publisher, Supconnect
My thoughts wrt that is "God I hope not". Heck, one of the reasons I got into foiling was to get away from the "mass market" SUP surfers hitting the lineup with most/many of them w/o a clue of what surfing is (or was) all about...and they jacked it all up for many out there.

Yeah I know, "we need to educate them"...but JC, it's just a lot easier to get away from them that foiling is allowing us to do, as we learn and enjoy something new, while the "mass market" figures out elsewhere if surf SUPing is for them or not.

From the looks of things, the "mass market" has decided that surf SUPing isn't as easy as it looks, as their dreams of being in the next "Endless Summer" fades into the sunset of ugly wipeouts, and sandy butt cracks...and not the graceful noseriding or "smacking the lip...KWABAAH!" that they thought they'd be doing after the first few sessions out in the water.

If the price to pay for getting some of our lineups back is not being able to sell our used equipment for the prices we used to get in times past, I say that's a good trade off, and I'll take that anytime vs. what we were having to contend with just a year or two ago.

The great thing about any "mass market" is it's just that, a market...and like all markets there's supply and demand that dictate it. Also, as with any market, the old adages of "first to market", and "Pigs Get Fat. Hogs get Slaughtered" holds true in the "SUP market" as well. We're now just seeing the late to the market "hogs" starting to get slaughtered, and it's making all the pigs around them really nervous.

Anyone getting into the SUP market looking to play for free, or thinking they're at least going to recover their "investment" as they move up or out of the sport are coming into it with the wrong expectations, or all the wrong reasons.

Hating an industry because you can't sell your stuff for what YOU think it's worth means you just got into it wrong in the first place, by paying too much for something you thought would have value in it later....when the market is simply telling you that it does not.

As Weasels said, "it's a toy, not a tool", and toys get discarded for next to nothing when a newer, better toy hits the market. Oh well, that's just life in the fast lane...or the specialized "toy" market. Personally I'm kinda pissed at the gaming industry, because I've got a Pong game that I've been trying to sell for close to the 1970's $100 purchase price that nobody wants now, and they're only going for $20-$40 dammit.  >:( ;D

Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2018, 06:32:31 AM »
what's interesting to me is the almost complete lack of sup-surfers at my local breaks in western LI---i share waves (when I'm not enjoying suppable scraps away from the main peak) exclusively with proners

i see many more supsurfers in RI, and am shocked to see pics of breaks in CA with hordes of supsurfers--now my spots are all beachbreak where drops are steep/acute, esp when big--but therere are plenty of comparable spots out west where such conditions dont keep supsurfers away--

could be i got in early and got accepted, before the onslaught, so i dont see when the occasional sup newb shows up and gets sent away??? and i shun any sup newbs who happen to show up who arent clearly well-skilled--but they are few and far btwn, as are the skilled ones

then ill go out front of the mist and therell be as many or more sups in the water than proners-----not sure why, but my locals have few supsurfers ever, so no issues

had to explain to a sup guy (who was catching waves and seemed to know what he was doing) that, if you go for a nice wave that any of us could happily catch, and you miss it, you cant just keep paddling and go for the next, and the next, and the next---go for a nice wave, where others pull back to accomodate and miss it? backatheline, i dont care what your position is
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal