Author Topic: And now Portugal is cancelled because the ICF and ISA can't play nice  (Read 1831 times)

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: And now Portugal is cancelled because the ICF and ISA can't play nice
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2018, 03:46:54 AM »
The first federation that steps up and starts acting like they actually want to help our sport instead of just playing Olympic-level paddletics will have my support.

The first federation that admits they don’t “own” the sport, the first federation that admits the Olympics is only one small part of one small part of the sport, and the first federation that engages with and acts like it wants to work alongside the self-governing SUP community rather than acting like a selfish parent going through a messy divorce–that’s the federation that will have my support.

Paddle League for president!

but can we have Fernando do a cool calendar out of our "hot chicks" thread?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 03:48:48 AM by yugi »

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2018, 12:13:17 PM »
IMO, we as a community, need to:

1. Say we don’t want SUP in the Olympics. At least not for another few Olympic cycles, anyway.

2. Agree our own international representative body, which should be run by people who actually SUP (as their main sport).

Maybe we should ask the Russians to organise a referendum for us :)

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2018, 02:04:40 PM »
lets be independent, we can go it!

PT Woody

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2018, 04:51:29 PM »
"Only the national surfing federation has the right to organise a stand up paddle event" is a very scary precedent given that most surfing federations run one event a year at best and many of them don't seem to do a particularly good job at that. All the best SUP events all around the world are run by organisers who are not endorsed by or affiliated with a national surfing federation. Leave the running of all SUP events to national surfing federations and we might as well lock up and roll down the shutters for good.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2018, 03:33:52 PM »
"Only the national surfing federation has the right to organise a stand up paddle event" is a very scary precedent given that most surfing federations run one event a year at best and many of them don't seem to do a particularly good job at that. All the best SUP events all around the world are run by organisers who are not endorsed by or affiliated with a national surfing federation. Leave the running of all SUP events to national surfing federations and we might as well lock up and roll down the shutters for good.
Yep. I’ve yet to meet a SUP enthusiast who wants either the ISA or ICF to represent  us. They are both being dictatorial, and both just want to make money out of us, that’s all. I’m happy to tell either of them to f£&k right off. What would we lose? Very little - I’m sure the World Champs could be organised by ourselves (Paddle League or whoever?). This is a test of our solidarity as a community - and at the moment we are failing that test.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal