Author Topic: How effective are TRX workouts?  (Read 3845 times)

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
How effective are TRX workouts?
« on: August 15, 2018, 12:15:02 PM »
I'm thinking of installing a TRX system in my new home in NC.  Did a little of it in a gym and thought it would be a pretty good workout.  Have you ever done a lot of TRX training?  Is it a good way to stay in shape? 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: How effective are TRX workouts?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2018, 08:52:02 PM »
It's fantastic marketing for a couple of pieces of webbing and a handle. Dave Kalama added a rope to his beach workout a bunch of years ago. A couple of knots and some PVC handles and there was a lot you could do with it. I haven't killed the website I built for the workouts for some strange reason, and I haven't been paying for the Wordpress video hosting for ages, but most of them still work. You could start there for free.

This is the rope workout episode. And yes, that's the delightful Sonni Honschied, long before she was a famous SUP racing goddess.

http://www.watermanworkout.com/?p=42

Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

gone_foiling

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2018, 09:22:05 PM »
Imho, a set of kettlebells or dumbbells will be more effective than just ropes with handles.
Addicted to foiling at the moment.
My shenanigans on insta @gone_foiling

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2018, 10:47:28 PM »
Good for body weight exercises.  But built my own setup with old ropes and handles and bungees.  Really helps strengthen opposing and stabilizers. 

But my mainstay at home are kettlebell dumbbell and free weights.  That by far has built up muscle mass -> making SUP and everyday tasks a lot easier to do.

https://youtu.be/MbybxX5cXBE
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2018, 04:44:04 AM »
I mimic paddle motion while holding ascending/descending weight dumbbells--gotta set up careful to not spaz back or neck--paddle a while holding 6 lbs, then a bit using 8's, then til i cant using 10's, then a few 8's, and a lotta 6's---switch sides every 5 "strokes"--stretch immediately after given the spaz risk--it's somewhat opposite of paddling as im fighting gravity with the dumbbells, vs pulling water when paddling, but it certainly helps

ive tried to rig up therabands that i attach to a paddle shaft at one end and a radiator foot at the other, but it's too unwieldy for me
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2018, 08:24:46 AM »
Hi Zoosport,

We purchased a TRX a number of years ago and quite like it. At the time we were seeing a professional trainer and bought it on her recommendation. I remember she was a firm believer in it. I don’t use it a lot anymore, but then again, I don’t exercise like I used to. I have a small exercise routine I do in the winter that employs some TRX exercises. I do find it a good solid piece of equipment and also very versatile in the number of different exercises you can use it for.
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

supsurf-tw

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2018, 09:14:50 AM »
TRX is a good however it's best to incorporate it in an overall fitness routine that includes some weighted exercises. TRX is limiting in it's options
Boards:

8-10 x 31 Egg
8-11 X 32 Double wing Fangtail Tom Whitaker
8-6 X 30 1\2  Inbetweener Tom Whitaker
8-4 x 30 Hyper quad Tom Whitaker (wife's now)
8-4 X 31 1\4.  Round (wide) Diamond Tail Quad Tom Whitaker
 9-4 X 30 1\2. Swallow Stinger Quad Tom Whitaker (ex wifes now)
10-0 Brusurf for teach

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal