Author Topic: Deck pad corner peeling up: cut away or reglue?  (Read 6131 times)

zacksc

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Deck pad corner peeling up: cut away or reglue?
« on: August 13, 2018, 07:42:12 PM »
One of the front corners of my deck pad (Infinity New Deal) is peeling up. It has gotten pretty grungy on both the board deck and the pad with sand and dirt stuck in the glue. (see picture) I am wondering if I should try to clean and reglue or if maybe I should just cut this corner away and matter latter add a small piece of Da Kine traction or something. I have had pretty good luck in the past cleaning with alcohol and reglueing with contact cement, but I am wondering if in this case maybe I should just cut the peeled up corner away and, if so, how to do that?  Thanks very much.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 07:53:36 PM by zacksc »

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Deck pad corner peeling up: cut away or reglue?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2018, 08:24:29 PM »
Just clean the sand and as much glue as you can, then re-glue. Even if it was torn I'd glue it back down. Remove and replace will be a lot more work to make it look good.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2018, 04:52:28 AM »
Waterproof contact cement is the best in this situation. Let it dry completely before pressing the pad in place.
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2018, 05:23:39 AM »
Re-glue..... my Foote had a piece of pad coming up and it looked much the same as yours. Lots of glues will work...I brushed it off, wiped it with a damp paper towel and brushed on a thin layer of gorilla glue. 5 mins later it's rock solid.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2018, 09:01:13 AM »
Add mine to the reglue column.  Way less work, with way better results. I've reglued nearly every deck pad at some point as an edge peels up.  I just finished a small spot on my 9-6 and now my wife's 9-2 pad peeled in the exact same spot (tonight's project). It's 5 minutes of sanding, cleaning and gluing, a 15 minute wait for the glue to get tacky, and a bit of overnight pressure to seal the deal and you're done.  Cutting away is always going to look a bit asymmetrical, and the reglue is about as easy a fix as there is in SUP repair.

There is a time when a full pad removal is the right answer.  Our 7 year old 10-3 Mahalo developed bubbles beneath the pad that couldn't be solved with creative contact cement application.  I figured there was something up with the deck (and I was right...for once).  I ended up having to pull the well-used original pad off, a 3-4 hour project with my caveman tools. After fixing two splits in the deck along the stringer (another 2 hours of sanding, glassing, hot coat and sanding). Not one to make a large project smaller, I decided to do my own creative deck pad design and application (4-6 hours estimated). By the end, I was 9 to 12 hours into a new deck pad (my first effort).  I guess we all need a hobby to keep us from getting into trouble ;)

On the plus side, the replaced deck pad had a trial run this weekend at San O and was more comfortable and provided great grip...and didn't fall off with the first contact of water.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2018, 10:52:16 AM »
Waterproof contact cement is the best in this situation. Let it dry completely before pressing the pad in place.
^^^^This^^^^

Have tried everything short of stapling the dang thing back onto the board, and contact cement is the only thing that I've found to get things back down as close to the original as possible. But also as stated, let it dry completely...and make sure you get it right where you want the first time, it's a PITA to get it back up once the two pieces touch.
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

zacksc

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2018, 09:40:11 PM »
Thanks a lot everybody.  So we are talking about this stuff, right?
Or is there a waterproof contact cement.

(PS.I got my weldwoods to pose for this photo op.)

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2018, 10:00:38 PM »
That's the stuff.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2018, 10:25:07 AM »
How'd the reglue (er...contact cement) work for you? I have two bottles of that weldwood stuff, probably should put one in my car kit.  That reminds me... I need to get a section of my wife's board tacked down again.

Here's the finished deck pad after replacement by the way.  Not nearly as professional as so many on this forum have done, but it was really comfortable and perfectly grippy.  The pad type is the Hydroturf brushed finish, without any groove pattern.  The gaps in the pattern added a lot of groove-like grip in the back half of the board where I needed it most.

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2018, 10:39:40 AM »
C'est manifique!
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

zacksc

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2018, 01:42:50 PM »
Jim, where do you get those cool,black hexagons? That looks great!

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2018, 08:50:22 AM »
Those hexagons are the same size as the game pieces from our "Settlers of Catan" game.  Each one was cut out by hand using an Exacto knife from a sheet of Hydroturf (Black, brush finish, no grooves).  The cookie cutting took roughly 2 hours.  They might look uniform in the picture but I assure you, I'm not that precise.

I started with a plan to have an octopus silhouette as the main standing area pad space, and then I realized how much effort it would be to: a. cut it out, and b. get the hexes to fit around it.  I figured I'd better dumb it down a bit if I ever wanted to finish.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal