Author Topic: unlimited all water rocker - how would you go about it?  (Read 7213 times)

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: unlimited all water rocker - how would you go about it?
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2018, 03:11:10 PM »

Tested this 17'11 One dugout recently and it was an excellent gliding vs stable DW board.  Entry forward cut the water nicely without much splash.  It could be a one quiver board for any conditions -> including flatwater paddling.  In 25 it was very stable and could go to 24 without much issue depending on what type of use was envisaged.  Side profile rocker has some similarity -> but the other design aspects make this board really special.  Much more versatile than the very stable surf nosed splashy Bullet 17.4 standard.  Paddles like a dream comparably and is very maneuverable with its rudder.  So much that it felt like a much shorter board.  Bit pricey tho.  $6000 Cdn.

https://www.deepcoveoutdoors.com/product/onesup-unlimited-dugout-17-paddle-board/
There already seem to be several 14' boards that seem to be at least quite good for at least most conditions.  Seeing boards like this one--versatile design in UL length--is pretty exciting.  If they could move one of those zeroes on the price to in front of the six I'd get one for sure.

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2018, 04:03:52 PM »
If you have the chance look at the constant rocker of a Bark Vapor. It does look a lot like the side view of your V2.
Most of the new dug-gout UL when you see them live are pretty damn big, deep and heavy. The opposite of your design in a way.
That is one of the reason I really value my Ace-GT. UL but light, lower volume.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 04:06:00 PM by Luc Benac »
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2018, 04:58:47 PM »
If you're only using it for flat water, you want to have as little board above water as possible. Just cut wind from any angle out of the equation. In a little chop the water floods over the top of my flat water UL and it doesn't slow it down a bit. The total bottom makes contact tip to tail. I went a ton of volume years ago, then shaved every little bit off that I could. The closest board I've seen to my flat water UL is the SIC FX16 pro. Stretch the FX16 four feet longer, narrow it an inch, and it'll look exactly like my flat water UL. I'm starting to understand the benefits of added volume in the open ocean.   
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2018, 08:19:33 PM »
Stretch the FX16 four feet longer, narrow it an inch, and it'll look exactly like my flat water UL. I'm starting to understand the benefits of added volume in the open ocean.

Funny you should say that. My FX 12.6 was my starting point about 2 years ago when I started
thinking about an all-water design until I realized some volume was missing in some key places.

Thanks a bunch! Appreciate the insights.

Will see how this one turns out once I finish contemplating...
in progress...

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2018, 08:26:32 AM »
For crosswind I find a low volume, low windage board is key.

If you can try out something like Creeks 14’ Sunova Search as see. Obviously extreme but they work better than you may think.

I like your ski jump nose. I like them even sleeker (less boof). Especially for upwinds in waves I find a nose like a JL Rail pierces and carries through with less braking than noses with higher volume. Same goes for if you happen to poke a nose riding DW. The angle of the ski jump nose lifts the board right back out rather than volume. Which allows you also less boof so therefore less windage when going cross wind.

My favorite boards for upwind are the Rogue DW and JL Rail. I find a board with a lot of rocker up front like a Bullet V1 get slapped by waves and get the brakes slammed on.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2018, 12:46:02 PM »
For crosswind I find a low volume, low windage board is key...

I like your ski jump nose. I like them even sleeker (less boof)...

I'm with you on that. It's hard to see it from the diagram but this is really low
volume board.

My current one is 251L for a 16 footer. Think about it for a sec, It is so thin you could
actually do the thing you like the most, carving ;)

The new one is going to be 267L, so not much more, but volume is distributed
slightly better and the nose rocker as I imagine it, will behave the way you described
which is exactly how I would like it to behave and hopefully it will.
in progress...

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2018, 02:22:24 PM »
Also, what I've learned recently from riding lower rocker boards like the Bayonet and the
downtown as well is that the sharp entry and extra volume helps a lot to manage he nose
and maintain speed when poking into waves.

Unlike those boards though, which maintain thick rails throughout the nose section,
I took a lot volume out and lowered the apex line in order to give it better angle rounding
up towards the top stringer.
in progress...

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2018, 02:26:38 PM »
This is as low of volume as I could go for my weight. Notice how tight I got it to water line. No windage and slippery fast. It's a flat water UL for sure. Zero wake.
It's not overhead to me!

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2018, 02:37:43 PM »
This is as low of volume as I could go for my weight. Notice how tight I got it to water line. No windage and slippery fast. It's a flat water UL for sure. Zero wake.

Sleek
Blackfish Paddles

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2018, 02:42:23 PM »
Stretch the FX16 four feet longer, narrow it an inch, and it'll look exactly like my flat water UL. I'm starting to understand the benefits of added volume in the open ocean.

Funny you should say that. My FX 12.6 was my starting point about 2 years ago when I started
thinking about an all-water design until I realized some volume was missing in some key places.

Thanks a bunch! Appreciate the insights.

Will see how this one turns out once I finish contemplating...

All I can say, is that I want one :-) if I could afford it. A 16' Vapor-like board would just thick all the boxes as my main board for the Spring/Summer.
Winter touring would still stay with the Ace-GT.
Blackfish Paddles

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2018, 05:18:19 PM »

Sleek

Sleek indeed. Just the way I like it
in progress...

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2018, 06:29:12 PM »
I like it!
It's not overhead to me!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal