Author Topic: Leashless and lawsuits oh my!!  (Read 4436 times)

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Leashless and lawsuits oh my!!
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2018, 05:23:13 AM »
Some situations call for leashes others do not.

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2018, 08:15:18 AM »
Guys

There is NO REASON to be leashless with a SUP
It is that simple That is unless you want to be legislated out of most line ups
We (avid SUP surfers) need to set example here

jimK
Extreme Windsurfing

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2018, 08:16:52 AM »
Guys

There is NO REASON to be leashless with a SUP
It is that simple That is unless you want to be legislated out of most line ups
We (avid SUP surfers) need to set example here

jimK
Extreme Windsurfing

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2018, 08:27:20 AM »
You could say that two times Jim.

I would agree that for SUP it makes little sense to go leashless whether surf or flat water.  But for classic longboard surfing, at the right breaks, I see a clear exception. 

abmatt

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2018, 09:16:14 AM »
Calf leash works just fine for me on my longboard-style SUP ... cross-step all you want and never get tangled. I'd hate to have my board hit somebody.

all~wet

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2018, 09:21:20 AM »
Personal awareness & ownership. ANYONE going into the ocean needs IT.

The less lifeguards, posted signs, legislation, regulation and for F sakes lawyers on the water the better. Be realistically informed about your abilities, the conditions and the break you are surfing. Control yourself and your equipment. Don't make your fun become a danger to others. In my opinion- the dangers of inviting in water nannies far outweighs an occasional loose board. One d-bag is much easier to deal with.

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2018, 12:09:40 PM »
The leash manufacturers are loving this, but what's next?
Setting government standards that must be followed in the manufacturing of leashes.
One thing always leads to another.
It takes a quiver to do that.

ninja tuna

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2018, 01:53:54 PM »
Oh this could be a way too slippery slope.  From the article.

"It certainly wouldn’t be the first time water disputes resulted in lawsuits. Did you know that a California surfer once sued a fellow surfer after getting snaked? A surfer in Nova Scotia successfully sued a surfer he actually ran over, because the ran-over surfer was paddling in the wrong spot, if you can believe that."

This could pit everyone against everyone.

What if your board hits some one after you fall but have a leash on.  Were they paddling/sitting in the wrong location.  Were they paddling for the face instead of giving the rider the face. I do not see it as good.

Will we be required to have insurance.

If that Aussie lawyer has such a problem with that locale, then he should just surf some where else.  It is like some one that does not like a tv or radio station and has to complain about it. Just change it or turn it off.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2018, 12:08:34 PM »
Yeah, hard to prove fault in those he said/she said types of surf scenarios....unless someone happened to catch the act on video I suppose.

Few days ago I'm paddling into a wave (on a foil), and some buffoon inside of me decided that the wave looked good also, and tried to paddle in right underneath me.

Now I had already pumped into the wave with board now out of the water, but was still at the top of it just before tipping it over to go down the face. It was either split him in half with a mast between his legs, or ditch the whole thing with a turn that I knew was going to blow me up in the whole scheme of things....I choose the latter, and wiped out with board, foil, paddle, and myself get tossed around pretty good.

Duffus prone foiler missed the wave anyway, and turned to look at me as if I had somehow screwed up his take-off. I "explained" to him what an a-hole he was, and that I wouldn't be pulling out of the wave if he were to attempt that stunt again. He didn't.

But I can only imagine the scene it would have been when the "Sup foiler ran over the prone foiler out there" as I could hear it now on the beach. Maybe I'm wrong for thinking that's how it would have been perceived...but I kind of doubt it. Just sayin'...  :( >:(
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2018, 06:43:36 PM »
Unfortunately foiling is reigniting the old, "does that thing really belong in this lineup sentiment".   The best policy, and the only tried and true approach is to surf with aloha.

Maybe I'm closest to the peak when I take off, but if the other guy was already in good position, am I not snaking that wave?

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2018, 07:36:17 PM »
Deleted....never mind.....
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 07:49:04 PM by SanoSlatchSup »
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2018, 02:34:59 AM »
On many small summer days I will find a little shorebreak corner wedge and will have a party, all alone, and leashless.  Crucify me.

The beach walkers on the long desolate stretch are the only witnesses.

Common sense needs to prevail when other water users are present. That also goes for the responsibility of the more knowledgeable user when the other user has boneheads moment.

I guess joining the fray on a foil adds to the challenge of not causing harm.

supthecreek

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2018, 09:09:58 AM »
I hate the lawsuit mentality and have fought against it since 1981, when I joined the US Chamber of Commerce and wrote to them monthly, about where this leads. Nowhere good.

I try like hell not to run my life in fear of lawsuits, but it's hard to escape the reality it has created.

We surfed for decades without leashes.
we avoided calamity by going underwater and letting loose boards pass harmlessly overhead.

Leashes are great tools that I appreciate and use, but there are those who are quite adapt to surfing without them.
I'd rather let line-up dynamics regulate leash use..... not lawyers.

I'll surf with this guy anywhere, anytime.... I have never seen him lose his board  :)

supthecreek

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2018, 07:28:03 PM »
this just in....

"Cape Cod Oldtimers Surfing Contest" outlaws the leash!
Surfers were forbidden from wearing leashes, in this biggest of all contests.

The authorities were notified and are on the case  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal