Author Topic: Big guys: What foils are you riding?  (Read 3510 times)

sea_mode

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Big guys: What foils are you riding?
« on: August 08, 2018, 12:49:30 PM »
Im 6'5  270ish and have been on a Takuma type foil but think I need to go bigger. Curious about some of the new larger wings that are coming out. Anybody have experience with the Naish XL, the new big Slingshot or any others? Would go GoFoil but the inability to switch out wings for when it gets bigger (unless I buy everything at once) has me hesitant...

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Big guys: What foils are you riding?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2018, 01:02:29 PM »
Having already gone the "trying to get in on the cheap" route already, all I can say is that worrying about price vs product is much like that old Fram filter commercial..."Pay me now, or pay me later" tagline from it.

Get what you think you need, and works (at your size, if you're looking to play in the surf, the Maliko 200 would probably be your best bet...and the maybe the Iwa if you think you'll need something smaller on the "big" days).

But I wouldn't use money as a reason for not buying the right tool(s) for the job, and right now I haven't seen or heard of "bigger" guys on SUPs getting anything but the larger Go Foils to work for them. Could just be that way my little neck of the woods though, I'm sure others will chime in as well with more, and better info.

My signature line has my size below, and I finally bought the Iwa/M200 combo after trying to get in with two different foil setups )one that you've already mentioned), neither of which came close to lifting/flying me like even the Iwa does, and the M200 I've used twice just to see what it would do in smaller stuff (to head high+). But found that I like the turning capabilities of the Iwa far better even in nothing surf, so haven't used the Maliko since...but others I know absolutely love it, and swear by it. So there's that. =)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 01:08:07 PM by SanoSlatchSup »
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

exiled

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2018, 11:50:34 AM »
I'm your height but 235 Lbs and on the Ke Nalu Iwa 774. It flies me, but there is no doubt other lighter guys are getting more glide. Some of that is certainly due to my lack of skill. I will be getting the larger Ke Nalu wing as soon as its released. I don't think there is any true big guy surf wing out there right now, everyone is making due with downwind foils.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2018, 12:16:48 PM »
I'd go for a three wing GoFoil setup (which I more or less have) of Iwa, M200, and M280. At your weight, the M280 is a beginner surf foil and the M200 is the goto. The Iwa is for bigger surf where you want the speed and turning ability. I weigh 235 and I have the balance skills of your standard 71 year old who has beaten the shit out of his body since he was 17. M200 is my standard, but I'd take the 280 out in little junk.

The 280 has a few characteristics that make it very good for learning--for one thing, it's slow. Very slow. Slow coming up, and it's slow to come down when you run out of power--which is good. It kind of hangs. I'm using it for learning to downwind, but I've seen big guys surf it. Especially in little mush.

I haven't seen anything but gofoil with useful big guy stuff. You can use other GoFoil wings on a mast that hasn't been fitted for it. It just requires some fiddling and fitting. The inside of the wings and the mast are numbered--I don't know the system--but if the numbers are close the wing will fit without fussing. I bought my 280 used, from a friend, and it fit without drama.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal