Author Topic: 75 Foil Sessions - Video  (Read 4010 times)

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
75 Foil Sessions - Video
« on: August 05, 2018, 07:16:59 AM »
Hi,

75 sessions and counting, I made a video of most of my foil sessions from day 1 to day 75, and some bonus footage at the end:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=on_BUHVyxJI

I went from extreme frustration and at times hopelessness, to super stoked and all I want to do is go foil surfing!!!  So looking forward to some good swells!  I hope this is enjoyable and helpful.
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

sharksupper

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 75 Foil Sessions - Video
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2018, 10:47:57 AM »
Nice!  So cool you have every session on video!  Too bad for all this wind we've had, no foiling to be had at all up here!

opie

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2018, 02:14:41 PM »
Great video!    Sharksupper cameo was a nice touch.

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2018, 02:39:46 PM »
Great video and amazing progress you have made. That is some serious inspiration to keep at it. Those foot hooks looks really helpful. Cool you tossed some Jeff Clark footage in there. Interesting how he doesn't use the paddle at all while flying. An advanced technique? 
   I've just completed session 5 and am pretty much exactly where you were at for #5! I marked my board with some padding and duct tape today and it REALLY helped to find foot placement. Also started paddling around w/feet on said markers. Some serious front leg burn doing that but I feel way more in cntrl surfing the board like that. Feels way more stable. Flying is still difficult though.

One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2018, 07:59:23 AM »
Great video Clay. 

You were truly a pioneer with the foil. 

I remember walking into STRETCH's shop and seeing that long black 'dagger' foil board in November 2016.   And the L41 and prone board shortly thereafter in May 2017.  Jeff Clark only started in March of last year:  3/4/2017 - See video I took of him on what was practically his maiden voyage. 

This drives home a few things:

1) Time on the Water is crucial

2) This could be frustrating for some people to learn

I am currently on the East Coast of the US and have come to appreciate how good we have it in California.  In Northern California it is Rarely smaller than 4 feet and NEVER smaller than 2 feet .  The only challenge is finding days that are small enough to take the foil vs. regular surfboard.  Sessions can be had all the time in California.

On the East Coast the waves can be legitimately FLAT.  I have been pushing what is possible in the East Coast and it is pretty amazing.  The relative advantage of the foil is actually greater here than on the West Coast.  But the reality is that some people might only get 20 or 30 sessions a year.  60 would be A LOT.  I am estimating based upon New England conditions, wind, waves and work / life balance.  The foil COULD increase the session count by 50% to 100%.  More to come.

Keep on Counting!!!!!!

Jeff Clark on an F-One.  I wonder how many sessions he has logged since then?  I am guessing 250+

https://youtu.be/2qyztbuwAAI

« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 08:01:46 AM by Beasho »

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2018, 04:10:20 PM »
Thanks, I appreciate the feedback.

I have only seen Jeff foil holding the paddle with one hand.  The way I understand it, it trains or retrains us SUPpers to fly the foil instead of relying on the paddle to "save" us, also opens up the chest/shoulders for leading into turns..  I have yet to try it, and when I make a mistake and touchdown I use the paddle to help me get back up on the foil.

Right on Denton!  I clearly remember feeling discouraged in the early days of foiling and it was hard for me to "sacrifice" a surf day to flail on the foil.  I had a day 2-3 months ago where I SUS in the morning and Foiled in the afternoon.  Fast speedy racey waves, the kind I would usually be frothing over.  Felt slower than molasses on my surf sup, and I was amazed at how much more stoked I was to be smoking down the line on a foil and getting rides 3-4 times as long.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2018, 11:18:01 PM »
Wow. That's a learning curve. I don't think I've surfed 75 days in the past 3 years. Jeff was down at SanO last week. First time I've met him. He showed up with a borrowed long board. As I was paddling out a foiler who was heading in, passed me on a Blue Planet foil board. 5 minutes later Jeff comes paddling out on the Blue Planet foil board. I said " I guess you found a better board to borrow." :) 
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2018, 11:23:12 AM »
49th Session on Foil by COLAS! 

This should serve as inspiration to anyone who is on the fence thinking that only Kai Lenny and Austin Kalama can ride foils.

PS: COLAS was banned from this forum because he is French which is  . . . . totally understandable. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=it5Arh3xqRU

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2018, 12:27:07 PM »
49th Session on Foil by COLAS!
Only his 49th?!  :P  I have seven under my belt.

This should serve as inspiration to anyone who is on the fence thinking that only Kai Lenny and Austin Kalama can ride foils.
thanx, I need that. He's really good and I hope to achieve something close to that....eventually. those are the perfect waves to get good in too. what's with those little twin fins?
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

XLR8

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2018, 11:33:17 AM »

I am currently on the East Coast of the US and have come to appreciate how good we have it in California.  In Northern California it is Rarely smaller than 4 feet and NEVER smaller than 2 feet .  The only challenge is finding days that are small enough to take the foil vs. regular surfboard.  Sessions can be had all the time in California.

On the East Coast the waves can be legitimately FLAT.  I have been pushing what is possible in the East Coast and it is pretty amazing.  The relative advantage of the foil is actually greater here than on the West Coast.  But the reality is that some people might only get 20 or 30 sessions a year.  60 would be A LOT.  I am estimating based upon New England conditions, wind, waves and work / life balance.  The foil COULD increase the session count by 50% to 100%.  More to come.

Come to the Great Lakes Beasho!  We'd love to have you and the perspective-building continues.  I actually had a real fun surf today, local buoys reading 6 foot swell and southwest wind 15-20 knots.  I am lucky to live on the lakeshore in a place that gives me options in nearly every wind condition.  But it takes a quiver to do that and I added a foil a year ago.  I have had what is just called the Maliko, it's a 180 I believe.  I just ordered the dw combo with a Maliko 200 and 280 as well as the taller mast.  That'll get me going better I believe, though the 180 has worked well for towing and some learning experiences in the surf.

I am still going to surf stand up and prone on days when we have legit surf.  I'll still do downwinders on my 14 and 17'4 on good downwind days but I am really hoping my foil set up will fill in all the blanks.

To the OP, thank you for this video.  I am going to share with my downwind crew, which now has some aspiring foilers.  3 of us have sup foil rigs and another buddy -- iDownwind on the Zone -- has a new wind foil rig.  So we getting out there! Your video will help us all reflect on our progression.

Blkbox Surf
Instagram: @greatlakespaddler

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2018, 11:17:13 PM »
Glad to hear everyone's feedback.  I am even more stoked on foiling now!  I have been trying a longer mast and narrower stance and smaller board, loving all!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal