Author Topic: Stability of Kalama type "Fugly" boards witout mast and foil  (Read 3204 times)

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Stability of Kalama type "Fugly" boards witout mast and foil
« on: August 04, 2018, 06:14:09 AM »
Anybody ever get on one of these fugly  boards without the mast and foil?  It appears to me that they would be somewhat unstable with the least amount of foam at the rails.  Without the  stabilizing aspect of the long "keel" I would imagine that they are tricky to balance on. 

dpmaui

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: Stability of Kalama type "Fugly" boards witout mast and foil
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2018, 10:47:47 AM »
What's the point, they are only designed for foiling, or maybe big boy bodyboarding?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2018, 11:35:12 AM »
Actually, I did, just for fun. My grandkids are here and the only boards I had on my car when we went to the river on a hot day was my Bullet 17 and Mr. Fugly. The boys wanted to paddle so I tossed the two boards into the water. The Bullet 17 is a suitable tandem board for skinny grandkids, so I got on Mr. Fugly. Stable as a dock, but paddles in circles without a fin. I stuffed a borrowed windsurfing Tuttle fin in and it paddled pretty nice. I think it would surf decently. I didn't think it would turn with the forward fin and whacko beveled rails, but it does just fine. I paddled it out into the event center "surf" and caught a bunch of bumps. It will never be my goto all around board, but it catches waves, is super stable, and actually paddles and turns pretty darned well.

Who'da thunk it.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2018, 04:46:32 PM »
There was a production board, maybe from infinity,  that was as called `the door`. It was basicly shaped like ......a door. It supposedly surfed pretty good

all~wet

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2018, 08:17:20 PM »
Infinity's short straight rail groveler surfboard is the Tombstone. Think it was Riviera that had the short square SUP called the door. Saw them dirt cheap on craigslist and figured they'd be a natural as a cheap entry first foil board.

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2018, 06:39:40 AM »
I think I figured it out.  When they say you have to get the volume right, they aint't kidding.  On a very large fugly it really does not matter as much.   When you start making them smaller the rail volumes are critical.  If you float it too high on the middle thickness band then the board is effectively narrower.  Take more out of the middle thickness by changing the bevels settles the board down further into the water, thereby making the board wider.  No need to adjust board width once you have some numbers that seem appropriate for your weight.  Just sealed my stringer and am going to drop the foam into the water again for a balance check.  Initially my board was floating a little too high on the middle band.  Ill just kepp adjusting the bevels until the board floats with the outmost rails touching the water.   I weigh 160 lbs and think a 6' x 29" fugly should be big enough.  Fingers crossed.

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2018, 02:30:21 PM »
That worked.  Much more stable with even greater secondary stability.  When I make and install the tuttle box it will be even more stable.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal