Author Topic: Toothpick, ultra narrow tippy race boards. What would you want to know ?  (Read 36111 times)

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Toothpick, ultra narrow tippy race boards. What would you want to know ?
« Reply #120 on: September 06, 2018, 07:20:15 PM »
looks fast, tippy & fun.

Tippy or fun? .. You can’t have both IMO..  :)

;D
Stable and downwind = fun . The rest who cares.....
:) Quite right.

But if I did want to punish myself with the boredom of flat water paddling, I’d want to do it on a board like TallDude’s.
You're right, but it beats running on a treadmill in some gym, smelling all the sweat, and starring at myself in a mirror. I'll paddle that board at night in the harbor in pure glass. I can hear music coming from the restaurants and boats, and there's enough ambient light to see. It's a good peaceful workout with no one around. It's a grind and can be somewhat boring. 
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #121 on: September 06, 2018, 07:23:56 PM »
Yes touring in flat water is very nice and I also do that during the winter, but down-winding is fun.
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #122 on: September 10, 2018, 06:13:50 PM »
interesting result for the top women at the 11 city tour as seychelle won on the 23" wide board and others was on the 21" wide board came second.

Lake Paddler

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 11, 2018, 12:53:32 AM »
What is even more impressive for me: she won an inland race with a board which is advertised to suit all conditions. Rise of all-water boards?

Lake Paddler

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 11, 2018, 12:56:28 AM »
interesting result for the top women at the 11 city tour as seychelle won on the 23" wide board and others was on the 21" wide board came second.
Are you sure that it was a SIC RS 14x23? Many of SIC Maui team riders have been racing with 21.5" wide prototypes this year.

mr_proper

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 11, 2018, 01:17:06 AM »
Are you sure that it was a SIC RS 14x23? Many of SIC Maui team riders have been racing with 21.5" wide prototypes this year.

https://www.facebook.com/SeychelleSUP/photos/a.399395120210495/1136597126490287/?type=3
SIC RS 14x23, 2018
SIC RS 14x26, 2018
Lightcorp Signature Race 14x24.75, 2018 (sold)
JP Australia AdventurAir 12x36, 2017
Starboard Allstar 14x24.5, 2017 (sold)
SIC Bullet 14x27.25 TWC, 2015
Jimmy Lewis Sidewinder 14x25, 2016 (sold)
Sprint 14x23, 2015 (sold)
JL Stiletto 14x28, 2014 (sold)

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 11, 2018, 01:58:53 AM »

Seychelle has to borrow a board because hers didn’t turn up. This is what she said on FB:

“Big Mahalo to my hero of the week @sup.mission. After a last minute cluster fuck, no board arrived for me here in Holland. Hassan gave up his personal board so that I could race on an RS 23. After attempting to do the non-stop, he is still racing the 5 day on his FX 25. So impressive. And so greatly appreciated. That’s what @sicmaui Ohana is all about. Thank you Hassan for your generosity and sacrifice!!!
Secretly I’m not so sure I want to do this race ever again. (Okay, not a secret if you post it on Instagram 😜) but if I do, I will be sure to bring a 21” wide board. The RS 23 is my absolute favorite board, but it performs the best in open water conditions. Here on the canals of Friesland, there are no bumps. I’m doing my best to keep up with the other two top women on 21” wide boards, but I can feel the difference. Especially after 3 days. Oh well, just have to paddle even harder”.

I don’t think that the 23 would be an open water board for me :) But it does show how good a design the RS is, since it is definitely an all-waters board, as perfectly at home in the ocean as it is on flat water. Would Seychelle have won on a 23” wide All Star? Hmm...

A prediction: Next year’s 11 cities the winner will be on a sub-20 board.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 02:01:25 AM by Area 10 »

Lake Paddler

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 11, 2018, 04:18:21 AM »
WOW. Thanks Mr. Proper and Area 10. It's like the Annabel Anderson ISA drama all over again...

I could feel the sub-20 arms race going on now...

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #128 on: September 11, 2018, 06:46:08 AM »

A prediction: Next year’s 11 cities the winner will be on a sub-20 board.

I know that's going to be quite likely. Mind you, this race is a bit unique in terms of the water states it gets so quite how transferable such boards would be to other races, I'm not sure.

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #129 on: September 11, 2018, 07:03:54 AM »
What is even more impressive for me: she won an inland race with a board which is advertised to suit all conditions. Rise of all-water boards?

'In spite of' or 'because of' ?

Hard to say. Until the implementation of the time trials last year, you could probably get away with an allwater board due to the heavy reliance on draft trains. Now though, I'm not so sure.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 11, 2018, 08:39:14 AM »

'In spite of' or 'because of' ?

Hard to say. Until the implementation of the time trials last year, you could probably get away with an allwater board due to the heavy reliance on draft trains. Now though, I'm not so sure.
I think that what we’ve learnt over the last 10 years is that a board that is stable and predictable in its handling can be ridden much narrower than one that isn’t, and that the mechanical advantages of going narrower outweigh the theoretical advantages of the things that make boards fast but tippy (convex hulls, round rails, piercing bows etc).

If I were going to be racing over 5 days I’d want to be on something like the RS that is steady-feeling and stable, rather than sapping my energy for hours each day standing on something that micro-wobbles every second.

Quite apart from the drafting issue.

Lake Paddler

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 11, 2018, 10:44:34 AM »
Once you are in a train and moving fast, a narrow board with a recessed deck should be quite stable, I would imagine?

warmuth

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #132 on: September 11, 2018, 10:51:04 AM »
   Its not in spite of or because of. She had one other top female paddler there and she has a past history of being an endurance beast. In a tighter battle the last percentage points are going to come into play but that race was won by the padddler on the board, not the board under the paddler. The 23 was overkill in those conditions, it’s an ocean board for her.

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #133 on: September 11, 2018, 11:02:04 AM »

If I were going to be racing over 5 days I’d want to be on something like the RS that is steady-feeling and stable, rather than sapping my energy for hours each day standing on something that micro-wobbles every second.

I would agree for us mortals. The reality is that the true elites don't find a 21.5 board energy sapping. For what it's worth, I'm splitting my time between SUp and surfski next year so will unlikely see enough time on a board that narrow to justify it so I'm likely to be going for something like the 23.5 Allstar (for the exact reason you gave in your post) and whatever I'm given to test.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: September 11, 2018, 01:19:09 PM »

I would agree for us mortals. The reality is that the true elites don't find a 21.5 board energy sapping. For what it's worth, I'm splitting my time between SUp and surfski next year so will unlikely see enough time on a board that narrow to justify it so I'm likely to be going for something like the 23.5 Allstar (for the exact reason you gave in your post) and whatever I'm given to test.
A 21.5” wide cutting-bow, convex-hulled, pintail board (ie the fastest flatwater design in a straight line over a long distance, not drafting) would be a handful even for an elite paddler, at this point. Next year when the teenagers take over, they’ll be able to use them though.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal