Author Topic: Toothpick, ultra narrow tippy race boards. What would you want to know ?  (Read 36117 times)

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
I've been asked to put together a video of my experiences testing/paddling a 21.5 width race board. Knowing how much is relative when it comes to paddling any board, what sort of things would you like discussed when reviewing such a board ?

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
What would you want to know ?

How much fun you're having in chop.

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
What would you want to know ?

How much fun you're having in chop.

Quite. In light of the fact I can only just about apply 100% on water that's like a window pane with the 21.5 with S'board Sprint, I have pretty low expectations of that one !  ;D

Lake Paddler

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
How it is compared to the narrowest (22.5/23.5") all-water boards, in particular with small chops in flat water.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
When are you selling it?

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
I would want to know how the board comes with trying to pass someone closely in a race. So please can you show you pulling out from behind a paddler who is going at a decent pace, and passing them? I find that some boards are much better than others at coping with this particular situation.

Also, please compare 200m sprint times on the 21.5” with times on a 23 or 25. I have a theory about planing surface...

Thanks very much.

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
When are you selling it?

I've just got back from day 2's paddle with it. I have to put a few braces in and my stroke would need complete retooling with it. I put in one of impromptu paddles over one of my flatwater time trial courses. Placebo's aside, I would say I was only able to apply about 95% of full power (and I'd already done a 2 hour hard bike session that only finished an hour before it) but I obliterated my course record by nearly 5%......

My worst fears have been born out - This board is probably beyond most of us (I don't believe I could race it in a large mass start) but the free speed on offer is basically frightening compared to my 24.5 Allstar and has reduced most boards that are wider to being dinosaurs. It would be a one way purchase though - you'd never be able to sell this on. It's where you realise that you've seen the future and you're not part of it.  :(
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 06:30:55 AM by ukgm »

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
How it is compared to the narrowest (22.5/23.5") all-water boards, in particular with small chops in flat water.

In the last 2 days I have only encountered cross wake from slow moving pleasure boats but the board seems to cope ok. The primary stability isn't great but I actually think this means the chop bothers it less than you expect. Mind you, I do believe that I've spent so much time in my surf ski recently (whereby loose hips are essential to maintain balance) that this has cross pollinated back when I'm on a SUP.

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
I would want to know how the board comes with trying to pass someone closely in a race. So please can you show you pulling out from behind a paddler who is going at a decent pace, and passing them? I find that some boards are much better than others at coping with this particular situation.

Also, please compare 200m sprint times on the 21.5” with times on a 23 or 25. I have a theory about planing surface...

Thanks very much.

Good point. I might see if I can find someone in the morning and try that.

I take it your theory is that the larger planing surface might actually be better ?

(by the way, I should add that I'm well beyond the weight spec of this board but no, I still can't turn this thing without risking a dip).
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 06:34:09 AM by ukgm »

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
When are you selling it?

I've just got back from day 2's paddle with it. I have to put a few braces in and my stroke would need complete retooling with it. I put in one of impromptu paddles over one of my flatwater time trial courses. Placebo's aside, I would say I was only able to apply about 95% of full power (and I'd already done a 2 hour hard bike session that only finished an hour before it) but I obliterated my course record by nearly 5%......

My worst fears have been born out - This board is probably beyond most of us (I don't believe I could race it in a large mass start) but the free speed on offer is basically frightening compared to my 24.5 Allstar and has reduced most boards that are wider to being dinosaurs. It would be a one way purchase though - you'd never be able to sell this on. It's where you realise that you've seen the future and you're not part of it.  :(

LoL

Hang in there, mate. I'm guessing if you use only that board in all conditions in about a year you'll get pretty good at it. And in another even better.

It'll also do wonders to your motivation to stick to a strict diet.

Meanwhile, I'll have another beer. I'm safely in the DW class and sticking to it until I get my eFoil.

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Toothpick, ultra narrow tippy race boards. What would you want to know ?
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2018, 07:19:14 AM »
(by the way, I should add that I'm well beyond the weight spec of this board but no, I still can't turn this thing without risking a dip).

Take advantage of the summer months to practice.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2018, 07:52:08 AM »
"... I would say I was only able to apply about 95% of full power (and I'd already done a 2 hour hard bike session that only finished an hour before it) but I obliterated my course record by nearly 5%......

My worst fears have been born out - This board is probably beyond most of us (I don't believe I could race it in a large mass start) but the free speed on offer is basically frightening compared to my 24.5 Allstar and has reduced most boards that are wider to being dinosaurs..."

Yep.  For sure the Sprint 21.5 is a spear with insane glide and efficiency.  Which is no comparison at all to the 24.5 All Star on flat.  Even my AS23 is a complete slug comparably.  But go ahead and try it in some chop and slop -> and my 23 or even your 24.5 becomes the right board.

For guys like Boothy who have raced a lot on this in all conditions.  The Sprint 21.5 is the right choice.  He can even drop down.  But also think heavier Larry Cain has been on this board for a couple of years now.  Really sweet board on flat.  I really like it as you know.

Edit:  The 21.5 Sprint that I was thinking about getting a little while back -> looks to be now sold;)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 07:56:23 AM by Eagle »
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2018, 09:15:58 AM »
Interestingly was out on the weekend with some friends trying out my various boards.  Buddy was on the 30 Touring pin for a couple of miles and did surprisingly well overall.  Only fell in once getting hit behind from some big boat wakes spinning and broaching him.

Then he tried the 27.5 Dom -> and found that more stable.  So goes to show everyone is different.  He also found the Bullet V2 and M14 less stable.  Another noob young guy in his 20s also found the M14 quite unstable.  He being an ok surfer.  Weights were around 200 and 180.

Think that after time on a narrower board you just adapt to the tip -> plus refine and clean up your technique.  Kinda similar to surfskis.  Is very surprising especially since you did not think you could drop from your M26 and improve your speed by much a year ago.  The 21.5 Sprint at 95% power giving you a 5% gain over your 24.5AS -> is simply massive after only 2 tries.  You should be quite a happy camper.  Maybe a 23 Sprint is in the cards for next year.  ;)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 09:19:48 AM by Eagle »
Fast is FUN!   8)

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2018, 09:21:13 AM »
Don't forget to polish every day. It's faster.

https://youtu.be/978uQUK231M

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2018, 09:37:40 AM »
Best to stick to your slow single quiver DW board yugi.  ukgm actually is a very good racer looking for more speed.  Try one and see what you are missing before spewing your BS;D ;D ;D
Fast is FUN!   8)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal