Author Topic: Surfski Racks (car and garage)  (Read 4838 times)

all~wet

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: Surfski Racks (car and garage)
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2018, 02:09:22 PM »
"...just be careful with those semi or permanent fix rack going into low level car park or roof garage."

I would never be dumb enough to do something like that.... or pull into a carport and rip all 4 fins clean off a board. Never happen.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2018, 07:44:17 AM »
First impression of surfski:  Wow are these things fast. 
Next morning:  My twistorus obliqus are making some noise.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2018, 10:14:01 AM »
Goodboy racks came yesterday.  These things are fantastic.  The build quality is exceptional.  Obviously a lot of love involved.  I got the hatchback model so the tail section (with V) can be removed for hatch access.  The front V is also removable.  I got the SUP attachments as well (very shallow V's) which can replace the front and rear Kayak V's.  That would be a bomber option for long SUP's on short rooflines.  Very stoked with this purchase!
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 10:16:56 AM by Admin »

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2018, 03:15:37 PM »
Nice rack! Glad the ski is working out for you. I'm curious, did you just get in the ski and paddle off your first time? If that's the case, I'm seriously impressed.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2018, 04:36:00 PM »
Hi Talldude,

We watched a bunch of videos on YouTube before we gave it a go.  The remount videos helped a lot.  I had tried to sit in a friend's surfski (not sure what it was) about 10 years ago in Kahalui Harbor after a Maliko run and I flipped right back out (3 times).  I was paddling canoe at the time.  Turns out (of course) that I was doing it all wrong.  I bought an Epic V8 from suggestions that were given here and in the completely flat water that we have been going in it feels pretty stable.  I am certain that wind and bumps will change that entirely.  Chan got a Epic V10L.  That sits very deep with me on it (at about 170) and it is too tippy.  It looks like the right fit for her.  We went for a 3 mile paddle today and it pointed out that we need to build some new muscles.  :).  It is pretty shocking how tiny setup differences (paddle length and particularly where you set the foot stop/pedals) changes things so drastically. 

Anyhow, it is a really cool stroke, the boats are ultra low resistance and it is awesome to be brand new at another water sport.  Yeeeooooow!

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2018, 08:45:15 PM »
And the Gorge Paddle Challenge race this weekend has canoe and surfski classes. See you on the water.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2018, 03:32:15 AM »
And the Gorge Paddle Challenge race this weekend has canoe and surfski classes. See you on the water.

Thanks Bill.  That is a good tip.  In the meantime the speed feature on YouTube has been my best friend.  I had never used that much before but man, is it helpful to slow down to 50% or even 25% speed when you are leaning something.  :)

Not ready for Pono style big boy runs yet...but soon.

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal