Author Topic: So Cal Homebase  (Read 3621 times)

ospreysup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
So Cal Homebase
« on: July 31, 2018, 02:46:21 PM »
Convinced the wife (nonsurfer) to a  4 night getaway/surf getaway midweek  in January. After much debate we settled on Southern California. There is much info here on the Zone about SUP friendly locations. I feel pretty good I can find a rental and a spot that works for me although I may ask went I closer to January. I am looking for what is the best location (home base) for seeing the area including a one day trek to Disneyland (that was the deal I get to surf and she gets Disneyland) and also experience the So Cal areas.  We have a pretty broad area to consider as we figure anywhere between San Clemente and La Jolla. Neither of us have ever been to the area so any thoughts would help. Being closer to Anaheim is not an issue, we are both early risers and an extra half hour drive won't hurt us. Really our only condition is an area where we can sit on a balcony, stare at the ocean and have a cup of coffee. Thanks for your advice.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: So Cal Homebase
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2018, 03:22:12 PM »
I would say San Clemente or Dana Point if you are going to D-land. You can't go wrong with Dana Point harbor. This is probably the best spot.  https://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/snadp-laguna-cliffs-marriott-resort-and-spa/?scid=bb1a189a-fec3-4d19-a255-54ba596febe2  Keep a board in your room and walk down the hill with your board to surf Doheny. Tons of restaurants within walking distance in and around the harbor. You can drive south to SanO in about 10 minutes or Cardiff which would be about 45 min. It depends on what you want to pay to stay?
Another new hotel that is close to Doheny, but not really walking distance is  https://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/snasj-residence-inn-dana-point-san-juan-capistrano/?scid=bb1a189a-fec3-4d19-a255-54ba596febe2 .
Not a problem with board rentals. We can do a Zoner hook-up.
Another quaint location is by the pier in San Clemente. Lots of restaurants with in walking distance too.   https://www.casatropicana.com/  a little pricey but great location.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

seadart

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2018, 03:29:10 PM »
January usually means a good chance of large surf, sometimes stormy so have a plan for alternate activities.  Most SUP friendly spots are San Onofre,  Cardiff Reef, Lajolla Shores,  Tourmaline,  but plenty of other "Secret Spots" that are good and not crowded.   A lot depends on your budget.  You can stay in Oceanside or inland a bit in San Diego.  To get a balcony on a beach - I would say Lajolla, but it will cost you a bit.  Better alternative is to stay a few blocks from the beach and visit Lajolla Shores, Torrey Pines, Delmar,  Cardiff, and Encinitas Beaches. Weekdays in winter these are uncrowded beaches, great for beach walks, romantic evenings etc.  This puts you close to lots of tourist stuff and shopping in San Diego,  the zoo, Belly-Up tavern, Encinitas restaurants and clubs etc and out of LA traffic.   Disneyland is an hour away.   I have my business guests stay at the Hilton Garden in Delmar or the Courtyard Marriot in Solana Beach -ask for the Prince Harry Room .  Lots of expensive places you can stay overlooking the water in Lajolla.  I've booked meetings at the La Jolla Shores Hotel  and Lajolla Cove Hotel both with views, the shores is right on the water, walk out your door and surf.  It's also possible to camp on the beach in Cardiff and closeby at San Mateo Campground, San Onofre, I've talked out of town guests into trying this and they really liked it. YMMV.  If you are ex Military there are other options.

Orange county is not really known for Winter surf.  If we get a huge NW or West  swell,   Encinitas, Cardiff, Del Mar , Torrey Pines, Blacks and the Cove in Lajolla go  off. ( Check out Big Wednesday Videos on youtube for Lajolla, Swami's, Cardiff)  there are side breaks where you can surf and live, and if you post ahead of time locals can guide you to a spot to match your ability. I surf about 4 mornings a week during January.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 03:48:57 PM by seadart »

ospreysup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2018, 07:07:56 PM »
Thanks, exactly the advice I was looking for with some solid options. For sure I will reach out a week or so before departing for more up to date advice and greatly appreciate your offers to help.  In the meantime I'm going to settle into Big Wednesday and ask myself "why didn't I choose Florida".   

For real, I just to share how awesome it is to be a part of "the Zone" community. This will be my first venture away from my home breaks and knowing I can get some solid advice here that I can feel good about is awesome. Thanks!

maxsonic

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2018, 09:10:00 PM »
Not a problem with board rentals. We can do a Zoner hook-up.

With four SUP Surfboards in my quiver (mostly high volume, >170L XL boards), I like this idea of helping a fellow Zoner out with a board borrow when on vacay and hitting our San Diego County SUP friendly breaks.  One is a JL Maestra 9'9" 180L that I wouldn't mind sharing for a fellow Zoner's trip to SOCAL. PM Me!

MAX

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2018, 09:22:24 PM »
Ahh, January is my favorite time of year here in OC.  Cold conditions thin out many of the visitors.  Like others have said, San Clemente is a nice place and close to the great spots in San Onofre.  Water will be chilly, probably 55 to 57 degrees.  Conditions in January are a mixed bag, sometimes clean and solid surf, sometimes flat or blown out. 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2018, 03:32:08 AM »
Yeah, I went to the Dana Point area last January for a few days, and stayed at the Marriott mentioned earlier in the thread (because I have points with them). I surfed up at San Onofre, and it was actually pretty small (knee to waist, larger sets). Nice, long waves, and it happened to be really warm then, I could have gotten away with a 1 mil top and boardies, but ended up in a 3/2, no booties.

Have fun, I love that area for a quick trip.
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer
6'5" JL Flying-V/GoFoil Maliko 200
Kenalu Ho'oloa 95, Werner Rip Stick 79

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2018, 10:01:12 AM »
A couple of more rec's...

Back when my wifey was doing the California Winter SUP race circuit and the first three Battle of the Paddle SUP races, we stayed at the Double Tree...great place...we had an ocean view room across the street from the beach...dog friendly as well...and, the rooftop lounge is a local's secret spot...;-)

http://doubletree3.hilton.com/en/hotels/california/doubletree-suites-by-hilton-hotel-doheny-beach-dana-point-SNAPEDT/index.html

We also stayed at the Best Western in Encinitas...and, scored some great SUP surf sessions down the road at Moonlight Beach...totally uncrowded back then when paddle surfing was just starting to catch on...there was a killer sushi restaurant right next door...

http://www.bwencinitas.com
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

ospreysup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2018, 08:44:49 PM »
Thanks everyone! I'm super stoked. Airfare is booked! Hopefully I score some surf but you all have me excited to venture out west. Besides water temps here in the Northeast are in the Mid 30's that time of year and air temps even colder so I cant go wrong. Just scored a super airline deal nonstop Philly to San Diego for two for under $500.00, Saturday to Wednesday mid-January. We will figure out the where but the info you all supplied is awesome and on point to what we are looking for.  Talldude and Maxsonic I will definitely reach out about a board at the beginning of the new year. Thanks so much for the offer!!!!!!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal