Author Topic: This anyone on here--great white in cape cod area  (Read 6190 times)

connector14

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: This anyone on here--great white in cape cod area
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2018, 02:01:17 PM »
Probably many more close encounters occurring all the time without anyone even noticing. I guess when your number is up......your number is up :).......
"never leave the dock without your paddle"
Imagine Rocket 14 ...my new favorite, smooth and fast and lite
2018 Red Paddle 14 x 27 Elite
2014 Bark Dominator 14....smooth and quiet
2014 Imagine Connector 14...the "barge"

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2018, 02:36:23 PM »
Betcha Creek knows both the guys in the photo.

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2018, 02:54:23 PM »
at long beach sunday guys were yelping all morning---they couldnt see but the break was literally carpeted with a quilt of rays--so their legs were being brushing often, certainly a startling sensation--i yelped a couple times myself, even tho i knew it was just a ray--now walking out is a different story--rays rarely sting when swimming--they will tho when they get stepped on--and, much as i shuffled out and quickly hopped to standing, i definitely stepped on a few--no sting...i guess i was lucky

i commented to a wise old longboard local that it was nice to see all the dolphins and whales this year, along with plenty of stripers and blues, and now rays----like, maybe the ocean's getting healthier?----he laughed and poopoo'ed that,  said things are all effed up and that rays should never be in these waters at this time of year---go figure

given steve irwin's death by ray, i wouldnt fuss with these things much, but they seem pretty harmless generally

i will say that from ME to NJ, prolly 500 sessions over 15 years, last 8 or so on standup with good vis, I have never see a shark in the water--now ive never surfed the cape or nantucket or martha's vineyard, but i have surfed the south side of Block from a boat---but yeah never seen one
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2018, 04:48:17 PM »
As I recall there are about 15,000 sting ray injuries per year in the USA. Maybe it's 1500. Whatever, it's orders of magnitude more common than shark injuries, though generally minor trauma. If you get a full barb hit, and the ray pumps in it's venom, the pain is excruciating and can cause medical problems just from the degree of pain.

And then there's this. I've seen much worse pics with the double barbs through and through.

Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2018, 05:21:04 PM »
Saw that on FB last night...was making the rounds locally before it hit the news.

I saw one today in Plymouth, not sure it was a GW but it was definitely a shark. The bay is full of Stripers....I've never seen so many as I did today. Big schools of keeper size and 100's of smaller scattered in the shallows. I paddled out to the end of Brown's bank and noticed a couple seals just hanging there in 1' of water....they weren't worried about me and just stayed there even when I got close. Big male and smaller female Grey seals. We get harbor seals and some of the other smaller species but I don't see Grey's very often here. I hung there watching them for a bit and all they did was move higher as the tide came in. I figured they were just bloated on Stripers and warming up but maybe not.

The water drops off quickly on the outer side of the bank and big boats will pass by relatively close As I was paddling back catching little runners on boat wakes I saw something big swim by in the opposite direction about 10' over and down. Just a big shark shaped shadow, 9'-10'  at a guess based on my 14'er. I've seen plenty of Blues out there but they are a much different shape...this was a fatty so possible GW. I turned back and tried to get another look but it was gone.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2018, 05:24:09 PM »
Seen and continued surfing after seeing Mr grey suit a number of times. Shadows are something that gets you thinking.... Yes there are a lot of big creatures under you. One time just cruising out in the ocean by myself on my unlimited, I noticed a large thing surfacing right next to me. Maybe 40' to my left, and paralleling me. It was dark and getting bigger and wider. I thought it was a submarine at first, then saw an eye. It was a Humpback whale just surfacing to check me out. It was probably 6 to 8' wide and maybe 40' long. I've seen a lot of Grey whales crossing under me and around me, but this guy was huge.  About 5 minutes later a whale watching boat  showed up. Everyone on the boat was yelling at me, telling me to watch out because there was a whale right by me!
I think I picked up some of their empty potato chip bags they'd toss over-board on my way back to the harbor >:(
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2018, 05:37:13 PM »
We have a lot of them this year. A drone spotted thirty within twenty minutes, all real close to the beach.

Most are in the 8 to 10 foot range, but a couple of 14 footers have been hanging around for the last few weeks.

This is all in the New Brighton/Seacliff beach area. People use that beach paddling to the surf in the L41.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2018, 05:50:54 PM »
There aren't more sharks, just more drones. Except where Bob lives. That's the new sea Lion delicatessen.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2018, 12:00:18 AM »
Right down the street from my house. Nice guys.....

A group of men helped a baby great white shark at Capistrano Beach Park in Dana Point on Saturday. - http://abc7news.com/3828728/
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2018, 03:55:08 AM »
We're seeing large schools of Cow-nose Rays  off NJ now so I would expect the men in gray suits to be just behind.  In-shore NJ provides the opportunity for most species of shark execept for reef, oceanic white and a just a few others.  We've even encountered Tigers in the occasional chum slick.  But when the rays are around I am mostly concerned about the bull sharks.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2018, 04:42:18 AM »
wow bean, i wondered re sharks preying on these rays. and bulls are not our friends, from what i know. sadly, wont be in the water for a bit, so they may be gone by the time i get back in. i still giggle re the yelping--so funny to see a tatted, ripped young surfer panic to get his limbs in the air, yelping! and no shame--i yelp too when something bumps up against me

saw a gw breach with a turtle in its mouth a few hundred yards from me at spanish house near sebastian inlet a few months ago--maybe 10 folk in the lineup with me---not one paddled in--said "yeah they hit the turtles at this time of year"

pb---def wont be fussing with rays!
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2018, 05:37:45 AM »
There aren't more sharks, just more drones. Except where Bob lives. That's the new sea Lion delicatessen.
Seal delicatessen...no sea lions here.... :)

Fuck Bulls....if I see a Bull its time to get out. I think Bulls see Rays like I see pork dumplings with ginger....you don't put your hands and feet near my dumplings either.... ;D

There will be the occasional mistaken bite from the GW's but given their numbers and the number of people in the water they are very good at knowing we aren't prey. The news of a seal being torn apart in the middle of 25 surfers is drammatic and gets told a gazillion times and some get freaked out but it just tells me they know what they want.

No idea if what I saw was a GW. There has been some confirmed sightings of one around that size here lately but just as likely to have been a Sand Tiger, they've been making a comeback too. I don't think I'll be tugging the tail of one again but they at least are pretty harmless.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 06:11:37 AM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2018, 06:03:31 AM »
Yes, healthy respect for Bulls, they are one of the few species that include us on their menu, no taste testing required.  I would eat them right back, but they taste too much like seagul.  I mean wild nasty tasting seaguls, not the ones that taste like potato chips and Fritos.  ;D

supthecreek

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2018, 07:13:47 AM »
Lots of public feedings and encounters.
It's been working out pretty sweet for me lately.

Typical day:
As I walk to the stairs, friends are leaving because of a close encounter with a GW.
One Zoner had a GW circle him, then come back and eyeball him... up-close and personal, like passing under his board.

Next day another group got circled...
One guy said the GW was 3' in front of his board..... so he fell in  ;D

I have named this shark "Curious George" cuz he seems to like SUPsters.

We like a bar that is out in deeper water and can get crowded......
but I can thank George for several really nice solo-sessions this week.

The eerie thing is..... no seals anywhere to be seen, on those mornings.

The surf schools work on shallow sandbars, so those breaks get packed... but 400 yards away in deeper water, empty line-up  :)

I walked so my SoloShot panned to show the stark difference a little water makes
Yes... SoloShot is finally working! :)

I rode my 14' Search one session, when the Shark seemed a bit too lonely.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal