Author Topic: Thoughts on drilling the GoFoil plate adapter mount for more spacing holes?  (Read 4009 times)

norcom

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Any thoughts on the structural integrity of the mount plate if I were to drill extra spacing holes in the GoFoil plate adapter? I'd like to be able to move the foil further back than the spacing allows. I was thinking of something similar to the Slingshot plate mount. I don't think the holes would cause too much issues. Should I countersink it or just leave straight holes for more support?

sharksupper

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
The Naish and Groove adapters I have came with dual sets of holes, and I drilled an extra set on my custom adapter too.  I would just make sure the new hole is not too close to the original ones and not further in than other brands have gone with on the second hole placement relative to the mast location.  If you're worried about strength, leave the holes as is, otherwise countersink.  I got some cool cup washers so I could use the same flat Philips flat head screws on the Groove adapter, which doesn't have countersunk holes.

norcom

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
The Naish and Groove adapters I have came with dual sets of holes, and I drilled an extra set on my custom adapter too.  I would just make sure the new hole is not too close to the original ones and not further in than other brands have gone with on the second hole placement relative to the mast location.  If you're worried about strength, leave the holes as is, otherwise countersink.  I got some cool cup washers so I could use the same flat Philips flat head screws on the Groove adapter, which doesn't have countersunk holes.

Sweet! Thanks for the pic! Not sure how far I need to move the foil yet, haven't measured it but the holes definitely wont be close to each other.

sharksupper

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Careful not to move the hole so far to the middle that the leverage the foil has on the plate will break something... that's why I recommended you don't drill it any closer to the middle than a production plate has.. which is about in line with where the mast starts or ends, but not past.

norcom

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
I was thinking that could happen but luckily the GoFoil floats.  ;D

My issue is when using the GoFoil with a kiteboard I can't get the rear foot into the strap without having crazy lift, even on the Nalu and small rear wings. From a quick glance on the water my foot is just above the rear strap to ride comfortably.

I was wondering if I would need to move the foil as much backwards as I need to move my foot or if there's a different ratio. I'm guessing not?

sharksupper

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
LOL, there's always that! (flotation).. but does it float with an adapter bolted to it?   :)  … I still haven't checked mine!.. so I run a safety line around the mast to the board.

I think you'll find it is a 1:1 movement of the foil vs your foot, unfortunately.  I've seen some people come up with creative ways to move straps around using aluminum plates, that might be the way to go unless you're just looking for 1/2" to 1" change, in which case you can probably drill new holes to get.

norcom

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Never tested the floating with the adapter... or without but Gunner on YouTube has. Though I'm guessing if the adapter's attached after the foil is ripped off the board there should be plenty of board still attached to help float as well.  ;D

I thought about moving the straps but I like to bring just the one favorite board; Slingshot Converter (right now) and the foil. Can cover from 6mph to 30+. I love that surfboard for kiting waves but if the wind drops I just slap a foil on the board and go back out or vise versa. The strap position is perfect for just the surfboard but really sucks for the GoFoil. Worked perfectly on the Takuma clone though. And I like two straps more than just the front one.

I was thinking I could try to play with the angle of the foil at the box or plate but not sure. After seeing all your box install pix, I picked up a RideEngine box and was thinking of dropping it into one of my kite-surfboards but that thing's THICK! Not sure any of my boards could handle it so far back and I'm pretty sure whatever board I go with will be destroyed.

Perhaps sharksupper, you really should give up foling! I picked up the GoFoil after you said it was titanium sounding tough. Then I picked up the RideEngine box because your installed look so pretty and "easy". ::) And I was like "how can I go wrong?!" LOL  ;D ;D ;D Just pullin your leg, thanks for all the posts!

sharksupper

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Haha!  Nice one norcom!  Maybe you could use an aluminum plate and just add another strap to the board in front of the existing, that way keep both?  Or maybe just go all the way and install some additional strap plugs for another strap.

Drop the box in!  It really isn't too difficult or time consuming if you don't care how clean it looks on the finish.  The cassette can be shortened down to the thickness of the actual track inserts if needed I would imagine.

Yea, they sure had me fooled!  The thick heavy layup of the wings seems like they are bullet proof, who would have guessed that it was all for nothing without the mounting joint and mast being equally beefy.  Still a very nice design though, I love mine and it performs awesome.  Are you surfing yours or just kiting it?  Which wing(s) do you have?

norcom

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
REALLY don't want to move the straps between changes. I wish the board was tuttle so I could make the foil changes with just two screws. If I start doing all that I might as well just bring the second board (which I do sometimes) but I have to walk back 100 yards to the car. :) That's not an option as I'm way too lazy.

I'll probably pick a board and cut into one. I have a few I don't use. I also have an older 10'10" Bic Jungle Wind SUP that I was thinking of adding this box to. 

I've tried to SUP foilsurf a few times with the Takuma board/foil and that was a complete failure. We don't have "waves" where I'm at. Those start two hours east or west. We get wind generated chop and as a dreamer I thought "hey, I could probably do this here!" but ended up just constantly falling off. And if there's wind that creates somewhat of a wave it's just so much easier to kite with the big wings in the knee high slop. It feels soooo awesome!

I've windfoiled with the Maliko and that was pretty cool (1st time, foiling on my 3rd tack) but I'm just too lazy to rig up the windsurf gear these days. I usually get out after work and have a few hours of light, so rigging and cleaning after is not something I want to do. Still waiting to try the Maliko to SUP surf. I did try the Maliko with a paddle in flat water, thinking I could get moving and get on the foil.  ;D LOLx10 ... no

I have the Nalu, Kai, Iwa, Maliko200 and small/big rear and two masts. Bought the Kai set used. Bought the Nalu wing from GoFoil directly (they had one), had to fill it to fit the fuse (wing was way oversized) and drill a hole for the screw. Alex has directions for his other foils on YouTube.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 10:36:17 AM by norcom »

kamalino808

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
I’ve drilled couple of holes in the Foilmount adapter plate  with the latest one almost center of the mast to get the foil working really good. Wish I could put the foil further back on the board but I think any holes further forward on the plate would not be good for the plate, mast and boxes.  Used this setup with the Kai, Iwa and Maliko 200 wings.

norcom

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
I’ve drilled couple of holes in the Foilmount adapter plate  with the latest one almost center of the mast to get the foil working really good. Wish I could put the foil further back on the board but I think any holes further forward on the plate would not be good for the plate, mast and boxes.  Used this setup with the Kai, Iwa and Maliko 200 wings.

Oh wow! Yeah, that's definitely far. I was thinking if I went about midway that would be more than plenty. Thanks for the pix!

sharksupper

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Wow that is brave!!!

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
Thanks for the pics and info.  I have drilled holes an inch or so back on mine and countersunk the holes.  Good to see and hear someone is also doing this with success.  I have yet to try my adapter.
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

kamalino808

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
It definitely works and holds up well.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal